Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Solved: Dry Channel

musicimpossible

My setup is Guitar > HelixRack > SPDIF > ApogeeSymphonyInterface > iMac(Logic). I have been unsuccessful trying to record a wet and dry track simultaneously . 

Tried to create an aggregate device in the iMac to no avail. I am thinking there might be a way to simultaneously record one track with an amp simulation plugin (BIAS etc) and another track with no plugin (dry). Then take the dry track and reamp somehow via Helix? 

Solution in my last post in thread. Hope it helps someone. 

My setup is Guitar > HelixRack > SPDIF > ApogeeSymphonyInterface > iMac(Logic). I have been unsuccessful trying to record a wet and dry track simultaneously . 

Tried to create an aggregate device in the iMac to no avail. I am thinking there might be a way to simultaneously record one track with an amp simulation plugin (BIAS etc) and another track with no plugin (dry). Then take the dry track and reamp somehow via Helix? 

Using the Apogee may be the complication. If you use Helix as your interface, you have USB 1-8 in and out available to you simultaneously. 

Yes, exactly this^

If you record directly via USB, you can simply record USB 7 and 8 as dry tracks. Then you can send those back the Helix by changing the input of your tone to USB 1/2 (or 3/4, or whatever pair you want). The Helix's S/PDIF output doesn't send a dry track. It's only a stereo output as far as I know.

Yep, that is how I do it. Dry 7/8 and full tone signal on 3/4. Both record simultaneously. I record the dry along with any track I record with the Helix any more just in case I wan't to reamp that track to something completely different at a later time. It's so easy, why not just do it every time?

Yes, exactly this^

If you record directly via USB, you can simply record USB 7 and 8 as dry tracks. Then you can send those back the Helix by changing the input of your tone to USB 1/2 (or 3/4, or whatever pair you want). The Helix's S/PDIF output doesn't send a dry track. It's only a stereo output as far as I know.

Thank you all. My monitors are coming out of my Apogee Symphony interface so if I setup Helix as my interface in Logic in order to use 7/8 as dry - I have no monitor? Maybe the Helix headphone jack would work while I try this? (Helix connected to iMac via USB) Thoughts?

Yeah, maybe you need a small mixer so that your Apogee and Helix can share the same speakers. That way you can handle all of your guitar/bass recording/reamping within the Helix, and whatever else you are recording through your Apogee. If you try to play through Helix and monitor through your Apogee/DAW, you will get some latency between what you are playing and hearing. 

Solved:

I had to create an aggregate I/O device in my iMac midi-audio setup window. This allows the Helix (usb attached to iMac) and my Apogee Symphony MKII (thunderbolt to iMac) to combine into one I/O. I named it Helix/Symphony. In Logic, I chose Helix/Symphony as my input and the Symphony as the output (my monitors are connected to my Symphony). 

My problem (as stated above) was that I had my Helix connected to my Symphony via SPDIF. I disconnect that altogether. Helix is connected to iMac USB only.

I now create a 3 audio tracks for one guitar. One is input 7 for a dry, one is input 3 for a Wet Helix signal, finally 1 / 2 to track a miced amp / cab. That was the whole point of this exercise. I can then blend the Helix, Miced Cab and the dry track (with a Scuffham, Bias etc. plugin) to taste. 

In the end, this just might be overkill for an OCDer like me. Too many choices = manic mode. 

• Upvote 1