Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dynamic labels/scribble strips?

mattwolfson

Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble wording my post so bear with me- when working with a footswitch that toggles between two effects (similar to the M-series pedals) is there a way for the label/scribble strip to reflect the active effect?

For instance, I have a foot switch that toggles between a long and short delay. When long delay is on I want the label to say "Long Delay" and when the short delay is on I want it to say "Short Delay."

I can't seem to figure this out... is this a limitation of the Helix or am I overlooking something? 

Thanks!

Matt

Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble wording my post so bear with me- when working with a footswitch that toggles between two effects (similar to the M-series pedals) is there a way for the label/scribble strip to reflect the active effect?

For instance, I have a foot switch that toggles between a long and short delay. When long delay is on I want the label to say "Long Delay" and when the short delay is on I want it to say "Short Delay."

I can't seem to figure this out... is this a limitation of the Helix or am I overlooking something? 

Thanks!

Matt

Although you can assign a single custom name there is no way I am aware of to toggle between multiple names in stomp mode, at least right now. The easiest way to get around this is probably to use snapshots instead which can be named individually.

Although you can assign a single custom name there is no way I am aware of to toggle between multiple names in stomp mode, at least right now. The easiest way to get around this is probably to use snapshots instead which can be named individually.

Thanks, I assumed this was the case and snapshots were my next best option! A shame there isn't an option for this to act more like the M-series pedals... perhaps I'll submit it on IdeaScale and see how others feel about this.

I deal with this a lot. The way I look at it is that the label says what will be on when the switch is lit. So for instance if it's a long delay when lit, I'd label it Long Delay, and when it's off, that's Short. Same for different amps, drives, drive levels, etc..

Thanks, I assumed this was the case and snapshots were my next best option! A shame there isn't an option for this to act more like the M-series pedals... perhaps I'll submit it on IdeaScale and see how others feel about this.

I'm confused to what you mean when you saying "act more like the M-series pedals"... In what way do you mean? The Helix gives a ton more visual feedback than any of the M-series pedals.

I'm confused to what you mean when you saying "act more like the M-series pedals"... In what way do you mean? The Helix gives a ton more visual feedback than any of the M-series pedals.

You're absolutely right that it does, and perhaps the proper phrasing should have been "expand upon the M-series' toggling capability" - namely referring to the ability to switch effects rather than having to turn one off and then turn one on. Given the seemingly unlimited strengths of the Helix, I would have thought a similar enhanced ability would exist in the preset without having to use the snapshot feature for this.

I deal with this a lot. The way I look at it is that the label says what will be on when the switch is lit. So for instance if it's a long delay when lit, I'd label it Long Delay, and when it's off, that's Short. Same for different amps, drives, drive levels, etc..

I was thinking this - probably going to rename it Long/Short Delay and just keep to the scheme you mentioned. That's how I had it set up on the M9/13 (which due to the limitations of the display screen, obviously still presented a bit of an issue trying to decipher what was what).

I name mine "SHORT/LONG" word on the left is when OFF, word on the right is when ON

I do this too. You can also use case in addition to position for the name to cue you visually. Upper case indicates the state when the stomp is engaged and LED lit. So the preset name would be "LONG-short" if it was the long delay that was selected when the stomp is engaged.  I have avoided using slashes in my preset names because they tend to be a 'reserved character' in many operating systems but I seem to remember a post or firmware note saying that slashes may now be safe to use. Anyone else have any input on that rule?

You're absolutely right that it does, and perhaps the proper phrasing should have been "expand upon the M-series' toggling capability" - namely referring to the ability to switch effects rather than ***having to turn one off and then turn one on***.

You probably know this, and I'm just parsing your wording weirdly, but you can turn up to 8 blocks on or off in any combination with one footswitch. A stomp switch toggles all the blocks whose bypass state it controls, regardless of how they started.

If this is obvious, then as you were. If it's something possibly new, ping back and folks can try to explain.

You're absolutely right that it does, and perhaps the proper phrasing should have been "expand upon the M-series' toggling capability" - namely referring to the ability to switch effects rather than having to turn one off and then turn one on. Given the seemingly unlimited strengths of the Helix, I would have thought a similar enhanced ability would exist in the preset without having to use the snapshot feature for this.

I was thinking this - probably going to rename it Long/Short Delay and just keep to the scheme you mentioned. That's how I had it set up on the M9/13 (which due to the limitations of the display screen, obviously still presented a bit of an issue trying to decipher what was what).

You can also (no snapshots required) use a footswitch to toggle between two settings on an existing effect - like change a delay time between short and long without having to activate or bypass anything.