Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Affordable RIG

Yeah right. Lets say we want something that is more of a practice pack but you can use it for some jam too. I was thinking of combining the Variax model with the amplifi model for amplifier. But what about for effects ?

Amplifi is full of onboard FX...it's designed for exactly the kind of use you describe.

So I guess you can go without an extra multieffect right?

Theoretically, yes... but as I have no idea what your FX needs are, or what style of music we're talking about, whether or not you'll find those FX sufficient is impossible for me (or anyone else) to guess. Eventually you'll actually have to try out one or more of the products you're considering...posing vague, open-ended questions absent any sort of meaningful context will never help you decide if a particular piece of gear will suit your needs, because all you'll get is vague/generalized answers. You need to try stuff... if it's not possible for you to try before you buy, then buy from a place like Sweetwater, with a 30 day return policy.

So, the Variax standard is the lowest price Variax at $800. If you want a Fender style get one made in Mexico (it says where it was made on the headstock) or a Squier. If you want a Gibson type guitar get an Epiphone. Ibanez has a bunch of well made low price electrics as well. Now of course, if you go used, they will be even cheaper.

The first generation of Variaxes is one way to go BUT they're functionality with the latest Line 6 modelers is limited. A used 1st generation Variax with a used Line 6 Pod X3 should keep you happy for awhile. This is just a start. Really need more info as far as what you're intentions are. Ya just hanging out in your bedroom jamming to the radio, actually gigging or somewhere in between?

A Variax standard with a POD HD500 would be the cheapest way to go getting new stuff and still have Line 6's latest and greatest. That would be about $1300. But really research this. The HD500 requires a lot  of tweaking to get decent tones out of.

An older Variax (300) is a reasonable choice if it has the power adapter and workbench USB interface. The old models have their own unique tone, and some people like them. Its a low investment to experiment and see if guitar modeling is for you.