Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix two guitars

Dazzer40

Is it possible to use 2  passive guitars at the same time with my helix LT ?

Yes. The second guitar you can use one of the loop returns as the input. Just set your input block on one of your paths to whichever return you plug into. The AUX input on Helix is intended for active guitars, as I understand it. 

I'm gonna be the naysayer here...

Yeah, you can plug a guitar into the Return input. (The Aux input in the regular Helix Floor that you don't have is bad for electric guitar, excellent for preamp-equipped acoustic guitar or bass).

But you don't have the Auto-Z functionality. And in my experience, an Electric guitar doesn't sound quite right through the FX returns.

Also, I think if you have two different instruments playing through Helix at the same time, it can be a pain for one or both of the players... I mean live there. In the Studio, it's brilliant.

Just buffer the guitar thru a simple preamp unit and then into the return loop.

Something like an RJM Tone Saver or Radial Dragster to match the impedances.

Some tuners may do it as well.

Good idea. I don't know the RJM toe saver. But the Dragster is NOT a buffer. It's entirely passive, and although some claim it makes a big difference (especially with wireless units), there are plenty who think it's entirely snake oil. I suspect it depends on the usage.

But most tuners do a buffer.

No idea if it will solve the issues I personally have with using a Return as a guitar input, haven't tried it.

I use an external A/B footswitch to use two (actually three including Variax through VDI) guitars into Helix. I never play, or am in a situation where more than one gets played at a time. There are occasions where there's a guitar and bass into Helix at the same time during rehearsals, but the bass is active and is using the Aux input.

I use an old DOD 240 Resistance mixer for multiple in's/ one out (so that I don't wear out the Helix input Jack).

I can't tell that it sucks tone out in using it, as it sounds good to me ( that's all that matters  ;) )