Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

recording with spider v

cirv908

i am a complete newbie when it comes to recording.i figured since spider v comes with cubase and it lets you record from it i might as well give it a shot. now the question i have is can you hook a mic up to spider v and record into cubase. like i said take it easy on me as im not really sure on the ins and outs of all this stuff. ive googled till i couldnt google no more and im not finding a good tutorial or how to on simple recording so i figured id ask.

thanks

No, not really.  You need a mic preamp, which the amp does not have.  Rather than buy a preamp or a mixer to then plug your mic into the aux input of the amp, it would be better to get a USB Audio Interface which is specifically made for recording and will have at least one mic preamp in it.

• 3 weeks later...

As already mentioned, ideally it would be better to get an USB audio interface.  That being said, I've been able to record into Cubase with my Spider V via USB cable direct from the amp to my computer.  Make sure that your OS has the correct ASIO driver installed or else Cubase will never see the amp.  You can get the right driver from here: http://line6.com/software/

• Like 1

As already mentioned, ideally it would be better to get an USB audio interface.  That being said, I've been able to record into Cubase with my Spider V via USB cable direct from the amp to my computer.  Make sure that your OS has the correct ASIO driver installed or else Cubase will never see the amp.  You can get the right driver from here: http://line6.com/software/

Yes, you can do that, but the OP was asking about hooking up a mic to the amp to then record via USB.

• 1 year later...

On 8/4/2017 at 5:03 AM, fflbrgst said:

No, not really.  You need a mic preamp, which the amp does not have.  Rather than buy a preamp or a mixer to then plug your mic into the aux input of the amp, it would be better to get a USB Audio Interface which is specifically made for recording and will have at least one mic preamp in it.

I record with a Sennheiser e 835 Dynamic Microphone with an XLR to 1/4″ cable with no problems at all.     Preamp?  It's there, just need to take advantage of it. 

I created a preset that uses the "Tube Instrument Preamp" from type Clean in Amp selection.   Increase drive and volume and get fantastic vocals.   You can use the compression and eq as well.     Frequently use the Spider 5 V 120 as a PA with this preset when not using it for gigs.

When doing this with Cubase, I don't use the compression and eq settings so that I can control it in software.   I do use the compression and eq options when using it for vocals.   It's really amazing what you can use a FRFR setup to do.