Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with HD500X Sounds

Henry24foREVer

So I've been playing guitar for a few years now, but I never really got around to learning how to make the "perfect" patch or sound for me, and honestly I still get lost when it comes to finding a good sound. I know about this^ website providing patches from other users, but honestly they sound good until you start playing with other instruments. I own a Schecter Blackjack SLS with the Floyd Rose and Sustaniac, with a Seymour Duncan TB-10 Full Shred Humbucker on the Bridge. I play at my church so I would really appreciate if someone could help me out on figuring out a sound that would sound good with this guitar and also sound good live. I will be plugged into the system, not an amp. Next week is my church's anniversary so I want to have a really good sound by then, for those that decide to help me, I am trying to look the basics, a clean patch, rhythm patch, and a solo patch, and for those that have experience with playing at a church, i am not looking for a sound like hillsong, at our church we like to play a little more "rock." Thanks.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out on figuring out a sound that would sound good with this guitar and also sound good live.

Unfortunately, this really isn't a question that can be answered remotely. With nothing more to go on than the model of guitar and pickups that you're using, and describing the music as "rock", anything that anyone suggests is pure guesswork.

Finding a tone that sits well in a mix is always a challenge... but without hearing whay you're hearing, there's no way for me to tell you what's missing and/or what you've got too much of.

If there's a player who's tone you like, you can try starting with a patch that mimics the set-up he/she uses... beyond that, there's not a whole lot to suggest. What sounds "good" to you is entirely subjective...

Unfortunately, this really isn't a question that can be answered remotely. With nothing more to go on than the model of guitar and pickups that you're using, and describing the music as "rock", anything that anyone suggests is pure guesswork.

Finding a tone that sits well in a mix is always a challenge... but without hearing whay you're hearing, there's no way for me to tell you what's missing and/or what you've got too much of.

If there's a player who's tone you like, you can try starting with a patch that mimics the set-up he/she uses... beyond that, there's not a whole lot to suggest. What sounds "good" to you is entirely subjective...

Yeah, it's my fault for not being more specific, sorry about that, usually when I post things on forums I don't get much help and I wasn't expecting to get help here either, the patches that I'm using right now aren't my favorite, but I just use them to play along with other music, but here are some links to some videos.

Step 1. 

Do not use an amp to build tones if you aren't using the same amp to play them. 

Step 2. 

Treat all of this digital stuff like you would physical stuff. - meaning, if you have never used a Treadplate in the physical world, do not use one in the virtual world. 

Step 3. 

Your ears are more important than your eyes. 

>>Next week is my church's anniversary so I want to have a really good sound by then

So no pressure then. If I were in your boots, I'd try this:

NB: For tone building, use headphones plugged in to the HD500 so you can hear what it is doing - and what it will send to your church PA. Use good headphones.

>>usually when I post things on forums I don't get much help and I wasn't expecting to get help here either

Well, this might not work, but maybe it will help along the way:

Open a fresh new tone patch. Then, straight out of the box, just HD500 defaults, set it up like this:

[Noise gate] - [Distortion: Screamer] - [Amp: Plexi Lead 100 Brt] - [Reverb: Plate]

>>but honestly they sound good until you start playing with other instruments.

Play a backing track and see how you sit in the mix. Even if it's just a YT video, play to something you know and like.

Use the Bass and Treble *on the Screamer* to tweak your tone. Leave the amp alone except for turning down the bass if needed.

Live, use the tone / vol pots on your guitar as needed. Listening to your links, you might want to roll off some bridge pickup tone, but the beauty of a bright sounding patch is that you have the option of toning it down.

Probably stuck my neck out too far here, but there it is.

• Upvote 1