Sign in to follow this  
Gerardpfingst

Does anybody have a convincing Pearl Jam and Nirvana tone?

Hi! first of all, I know those two bands sound completely different, I just wanted to know If somebody came close to those guitar sounds with the pod hd, I've managed to came close to the "Ten era" guitar sound (at least mike mccready's one) with my Mexican strat and the brit 800 with a tube screamer (I compared the sounds recording my guitar on top of backing tracks and I tried to get close to the sound using youtube isolated guitar tracks from the ten album) but I don't know, I'm not totally happy with the sound and I couldn't manage to get close to nirvana's sound (I'm trying to replicate the nevermind sounds) although the distortion for each song varies (lithium sounds like a fuzz pedal in front of the amp, etc...) but I wanted to get that smells like..., In bloom kind of distortion, I tried using the pro co rat with a few amps but either they end up sounding too thin or without enough "bite" did somebody manage to come up with convincing sounds? (I already checked on the line 6 customtone section but I really didn't like any of the sounds I've found there...)

Ok, sure, I am an 80's glam rocker, which automatically means I loathe all things grunge. 

But, really, regardless of my personal feelings, "tone" was not the first thing on their mind. In fact, they purposefully made tones that were "anti tone". Take a cheap amp, turn it to 10 and be done.  

The one thing to remember - dual paths. 

One amp clean and one distorted. That's how we make some of those sounds. 

Just ignore pianoguyy.  He's the grumpy old man that hates everything unless it's something he does.  Which is a good thing.  That way people don't think I'm the grumpy old man.