Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 4CM with AMP off stage in other room mic'd

jyanes

Hello friends, I use the 4CM into my AMP at home. However at church we are planning to use real amps instead of direct into FOH. The plan is to have the amps off stage in a side room mic'd.

My question is regarding cabling. Of course at home I use that standard 1/4 cables.

However there is no way my cables could be used in this situation and would also be concerned with tone loss.

What do others do here?

Your church open to you going direct? It may very well sound as good or better.

Yes, ask if they are OK with going direct. I go direct at church and it is much more easy for them to control since there are no variables. They just adjust the level coming out of Helix. Just have them set the EQ flat on your channel and you will be good to go. 

It is much better for me as well because the sound I dial up at home (through a couple of similar powered PA speakers), is what I get at church. 

In this case going direct is the only logical choice.  Going 4CM into an amp in another room then mic'ing it is like going from St. Louis to San Francisco by way of New York.  You're getting exactly the same effect as you would by going direct, so there's no point in not doing it.

You guys are right . Folks want to try to use amps due to the belief that there is an element of that sounds that is difficult to capture.

Helix has captured it. Maybe show your sound guy at church how Helix works, specifically the cab models with the mic options and distances. That will show the elements that Helix is capable of. Believe me, they would rather deal with the direct signal to FOH than isolating cabinets, LONG runs of cables, etc...