Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buying New vs Used

Tehzim

I hope this isn't a taboo topic but has anyone bought their Helix used?  What would the disadvantages be compared to saving a few hundred bucks (like 200-300)?  I don't mind buying a new one but if buying used is just as good (if it's in good condition) it would be nice to have a few more dollars to spend on speakers.

It's taking me a while to save so I'm exploring my options.  Thanks.

Bought mine from sweetwater used.. but like new condition. I returned the first one because I bricked it during an update. but they give 30days no questions asked. 
Second one was better condition, and no problems at all.
So Helix for the cost of Helix LT pretty much.

I'm OK with that. 

With the impending release of Native, you'll have the question of whether the Native discount was taken for the unit.

I bought B-Stock at a price comparable to what some folks are asking used.

What would the disadvantages be compared to saving a few hundred bucks (like 200-300)

Potential disadvantages are the same as anything else you might purchase second hand...there's no way to tell what was done to it (or if it's a lemon) until you're actually using it. It may have been purchased by an idiot who thought it would be a good idea to use the unit as a decoration in his 100 gallon fish tank... it's a gamble. I've had good luck with used gear, and I've had stuff pawned off on me that had issues which weren't readily obvious at first glance. Mostly it boils down to what your gut tells you about the guy you're buying it from...if you're meeting the seller in the parking lot of a 7-11, probably best to shop elsewhere.

My approach to used gear was that if I could get something a bit nicer than what I could afford new, and was willing and able to work on it if there were issues, then I'd go for used gear. Not sure that applies to Helix.