Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack, Helix Control, Toe Switch as momentary switch?

Woodlandsu35

Hello,

is there any known possibility to reconfigure the toe Switch as a momentary switch just as  the other FSwitches   from the  Helix control board?

It would be real nice to use an external momentary switch into the toe Switch from the Helix control board for additional flexibility.  I would love to use this for an instant chopper like /hard Tremolo   inspired by Oz Noy. 

If its not available yet, I would  like to request this as an upcoming feature  for coming SW update .Releases.

Thanks  for any helpfull info.

Hello,

is there any known possibility to reconfigure the toe Switch as a momentary switch just as  the other FSwitches   from the  Helix control board?

It would be real nice to use an external momentary switch into the toe Switch from the Helix control board for additional flexibility.  I would love to use this for an instant chopper like /hard Tremolo   inspired by Oz Noy. 

If its not available yet, I would  like to request this as an upcoming feature  for coming SW update .Releases.

Thanks  for any helpfull info.

it is not available at this time. I do not know if it's possible. I guess I can't see why not, but I think it would be very unusable for most users, because you have to learn on the pedal the whole time you have that effect available.

That said, I think it might be cool for what you describe! There may be a way to do that, though!

Let's say you have a Wah and your chopper tremelo assigned to the same controller, set up the chopper in "Bypass Assign" to EXP 1 (or whatever EXP you're using, and set the "Position" parameter to something really high like 98 or 99% and the wait to something los, 0 or 10ms.

I bet that will do what you want.

With the auto-engage feature, you could easily set up the expression pedal to act like a momentary switch. Just set the auto on position to be something near the toe, and the effect will come when you're there and go off when you go past it again.

Thanks for the info wite the auto engage, as my 2 expression pedals are used for volume(nr 1) and ,concerning the chopper sound -rate/frequency- (2) , this is not an option.

I see that , for the moment, the toe switch cannot be reprogrammed to momentary. 

Therefore I request that this should  be realized in an upcoming Helix firmware realease. 

In terms of programming effort this should be simple,

In terms of usability,  the programming effort for the user, is one time per to be  stored sound, just as anything else.   

Furhermore to have another footswitch available for other different purposes  appears as a real benefit , at least to me.

So: Pleeease.. and thx for all the workaround ideas so far

Thanks for the info wite the auto engage, as my 2 expression pedals are used for volume(nr 1) and ,concerning the chopper sound -rate/frequency- (2) , this is not an option.

I see that , for the moment, the toe switch cannot be reprogrammed to momentary. 

Therefore I request that this should  be realized in an upcoming Helix firmware realease. 

In terms of programming effort this should be simple,

In terms of usability,  the programming effort for the user, is one time per to be  stored sound, just as anything else.   

Furhermore to have another footswitch available for other different purposes  appears as a real benefit , at least to me.

So: Pleeease.. and thx for all the workaround ideas so far

If you are using your expression pedals for those two things already, I don't see how having the toe switch available for momentary would help you. You still have to actually move the expression pedal to use the toe switch, so you would activate those auto-engage functions anyway.

If you are using your expression pedals for those two things already, I don't see how having the toe switch available for momentary would help you. You still have to actually move the expression pedal to use the toe switch, so you would activate those auto-engage functions anyway.

And if you want the toe switch to be active at the same time you use something else, my solution above works perfectly.

Logically, it would make no difference.

Thx again for the recommendation which is certainly a workable idea.

I  do not use the toe switch of a mission engineering pedal.

My switch is just a simple momentary fs , that commonly is used as very simple sustain pedal for keyboard.

which I plug into the  toe switch of the Helix control beard 

my setup is : pedal 1: volume, pedal 2 is frequency of the chopper sound. 

If I would use a toe switch from a mission pedal, I would always have to move to max chopper frequency.

The reason for making the frequency controllable is to adjust the chopper to the musical context, which can be pretty different.

And, once again, to have another fs (not necessarely as toe switch in the pedal) for any kind of use available

is more flexibility. 

...my setup is : pedal 1: volume, pedal 2 is frequency of the chopper sound. 

If I would use a toe switch from a mission pedal, I would always have to move to max chopper frequency.

The reason for making the frequency controllable is to adjust the chopper to the musical context, which can be pretty different.

So I'm doing the math. You do this all while seated, correct? Since you'd have to hold the momentary switch with one foot and the chopper frequency with the other foot.

I will tell you one thing that might solve it for you is if someone could mod your Control so that one of the on-board foot switches can be connected to an external pedal instead.

Hi, 

thx again for the input.

To put the math  into perspective:

Of course I do not operate both pedals at one specific moment.

Usually I make rough adjustments in terms of frequency for the chopper, depending on th song, even though I do not hear it (hence the momentary switch).

than I activate it with the  momentary switch, it really is meant to happen just for  very short periods of time, watch Oz Noy and you see what i mean.

You mention that " if someone could mod your Control" , 

exactly this is what I ask the whole time, that the

development team of the Line 6 Helix team ,

puts this on their to  do list for items  concerning the next release!

Sorry, for causing this confusion.

Maybe it’s my language skills, English not being my first language, or else..

But all I’m asking is, the Toe switch jack (already existing) in

the foot control Helix board can be configured to work as a momentary switch.

This is plainly a matter of software modification and implies no physical altercation.

Of course I could use one of the other switches, but I ran out of available ones.

I think we covered this topic enough, I’ll write a function request to the Line6 dev team, and hope for the best.

Thx again for all your initiative and workaround ideas.

Sorry, for causing this confusion.

Maybe it’s my language skills, English not being my first language, or else..

But all I’m asking is, the Toe switch jack (already existing) in

the foot control Helix board can be configured to work as a momentary switch.

This is plainly a matter of software modification and implies no physical altercation.

Of course I could use one of the other switches, but I ran out of available ones.

I think we covered this topic enough, I’ll write a function request to the Line6 dev team, and hope for the best.

Thx again for all your initiative and workaround ideas.

Gotcha, it's all good.

That said, I'm reasonably sure this is a physical limitation, not a software one.

Gotcha, it's all good.

That said, I'm reasonably sure this is a physical limitation, not a software one.

Well, I did a little research, and the switch on the Mission Engineering SP1-L6H is actually a momentary TS (not sure if it's N/O or N/C - guessing N/O), so I guess it would be possible to make that input switchable between momentary and latching in the software.

Well, I did a little research, and the switch on the Mission Engineering SP1-L6H is actually a momentary TS (not sure if it's N/O or N/C - guessing N/O), so I guess it would be possible to make that input switchable between momentary and latching in the software.

GOOD news for the OP! I hope there's enough people who want this that he gets it!