Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax switches guitar models while playing without touching any knobs.

Hi I have a jtv-69s and I've been having this issue where I'll be playing and all of a sudden my guitar model will just change.

I'm playing into my helix but I don't really touch the helix while playing.

It has happened with the Ethernet cable and the 1/4â€cable.

I've updated all of the firmware on both my variax and helix.

Do you think it could be a short?

This was a problem with the first versions of the JTV59 - caused by a poor switch design - they swapped all the switches out for a new improved design.

It could very well be a short on the switch on your JTV69S - causing the guitar to continually cycle through models.

Raise a ticket with Line 6 and get it sent back to be fixed.

Make certain the screws are snug that hold the 5-way toggle switch and thumb switch.

Make certain the volume and tone controls are not loose. It's to prevent intermittent connections.

If that doesn't do it, then it's something deeper,...  then what edstar1960 said.

• 1 month later...

So it happened again yesterday but this time the selector switch stopped switching between presets.  It seems to be stuck on the 1st preset in every bank.  The bank knob still works.

When I disable the modeling the selector switch still works on the magnetic pickups.

I just reflashed the latest firmware with no luck.

Do I need to use some sort of contact cleaner, do you think the switch is faulty, or something else up the line?

Also I made sure everything was tight as per your recommendation and there didn't seem to be any loose wire/shorts under the pickguard.

Thanks I've got a ticket about setting up an RMA in motion.

I did a firmware downgrade to 1.9 and then did a firmware upgrade back to the latest firmware (2.x) and now the pickup selector toggle switch worked again for 10 minutes but the positions were all mixed up. After that 10ish minutes it switched back to the 3rd position by itself and the pickup selector toggle switch stopped working on the virtual models. It still works on the magnetic pickups just fine.

This is seeming more like a software glitch than a hardware issue.

It looks like at least 2 other people have had this exact issue here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2756-jtv-69-5-way-toggle-piezo-pickups-will-not-stay-on-position-2-or4/

Does my switch just not like the 2.x firmware upgrade?

Thanks I've got a ticket about setting up an RMA in motion.

I did a firmware downgrade to 1.9 and then did a firmware upgrade back to the latest firmware (2.x) and now the pickup selector toggle switch worked again for 10 minutes but the positions were all mixed up. After that 10ish minutes it switched back to the 3rd position by itself and the pickup selector toggle switch stopped working on the virtual models. It still works on the magnetic pickups just fine.

This is seeming more like a software glitch than a hardware issue.

It looks like at least 2 other people have had this exact issue here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2756-jtv-69-5-way-toggle-piezo-pickups-will-not-stay-on-position-2-or4/

Does my switch just not like the 2.x firmware upgrade?

3 posts about this issue yet no indication what model JTV you're working with?  This is important particularly for switching issues.  

Personally, I'd try re-flashing firmware again...  Sometimes they glitch and re-flash can solve some issues.  

The first line of my first post I say that it's a jtv-69s... is there another model number I should be sharing along with that?  I'll try to re-flash it again.  It looks like your 59 was experiencing a similar issue and it was actually something physically wrong with the knob being loose that was causing the behavior. Which clues me in that maybe its not just a software glitch with mine. Thanks for the feedback :-)

Just trying to troubleshoot this thing haha

The first line of my first post I say that it's a jtv-69s... is there another model number I should be sharing along with that?  I'll try to re-flash it again.  It looks like your 59 was experiencing a similar issue and it was actually something physically wrong with the knob being loose that was causing the behavior. Which clues me in that maybe its not just a software glitch with mine. Thanks for the feedback :-)

Just trying to troubleshoot this thing haha

Sorry, 'didn't realize this was your thread.  I was reading more recent posts made in other topics and here with no mention of model.  Personally, I would provide the model in every post regarding this problem so there's no confusion what model you need help.  

Good luck getting it sorted out...

I have a JTV 69s that is experiencing similar symptoms. It will switch from 12 string to 6 string randomly or go from standard tuning to DropD..

Duplicated with ethernet & 1/4" cable plugged in to Helix or my standby POD XT Live. Not the best thing to happen if you are playing live..

The guitar went back to the dealer where I bought it (Long & McQuade) in Ottawa a few months ago for repairs.  It seemed to fix the issue 

but it has started up again.  With the randomness of the occurrences I'm thinking this is most likely a hardware issue. 

Do you recommend I log a support ticket?

Cheers.

59 with a loose model selector,.... that definitely has to come to me.

I'll need to deal with that one. That one is a different problem than what's going on with the 69.

Log a support ticket.

Can you elaborate a bit more please? 

I discovered the rotary tuning switch loose and intermittent on "new to me" 59.  Fairly obvious the switch nut was merely loose and after lifting the small PCB off the switch assembly tightened the shaft nut using a socket.  Working fine with no issues, subtle or otherwise, that I can tell.  The similar "model selector" rotary switch seemed to be tight so I left it alone.  

Can you tell us if there's been a component revision or something else that should be done?  Serial number indicates 2013 JTV59....  

• 2 weeks later...