Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phasing Chorus issue last night, could it be the Helix?

Riki1

Set my Helix LT up as normal, did sound check and everybody told me to turn off my chorus pedal and my guitar is out of tune.

I had no choruses on and my guitar was bang in tune.

Plugging straight into the Amp and it sounded great again - going back through the Helix and again there was a sort of phasing effect and loss of clarity, just sounded crap.

Not even sure if it was the Helix, I turned it off and on again, changed all cables and seemed to sort it, but then a few songs towards the end I got the effect again.

I've checked all the settings and have no such effects on any of my presets.

Anybody have any advice what this could be?

Helix LT - front of Fender Twin Reverb Valve Amp - mic'd up to the PAwith sennheiser

A chorusing effect can be caused by many different effects. When you say "a few songs from the end" it started doing it again, does it do it on multiple presets and you happened to change to a preset that is causing it? Try creating a basic preset with just amp/cab. Does it do it on that preset?

A chorusing effect can be caused by many different effects. When you say "a few songs from the end" it started doing it again, does it do it on multiple presets and you happened to change to a preset that is causing it? Try creating a basic preset with just amp/cab. Does it do it on that preset?

I'm not using amps and cabs, just use the helix for delays,EQ ,volume,distortion.

I'm not using amps and cabs, just use the helix for delays,EQ ,volume,distortion.

You can get a "chorusing" effect if you have a predelay parameter turned up a lot. A couple of the delays also have modulation and those can be made to sound pretty crazy if you go nuts with any of those parameters. If its just happening on one or two presets, it would have to be caused by something in those. 

• Upvote 1

Are you by chance running stereo delay/verb into a mono amplifier? Depending on your settings the summing of the stereo signal to mono could definitely cause a phase/chorus type sound.

This may be it.

I only go Mono, thought if I use an effect that's stereo it gets changed to mono anyway?

This may be it.

I only go Mono, thought if I use an effect that's stereo it gets changed to mono anyway?

Stereo effects use much more DSP than mono, so you'll run out of DSP much earlier running stereo. Keep in mind, mono is not an option for reverbs. If you are running mono, use all mono effects. If you decide to run stereo, use all mono effects before your amp and cab/IR, then stereo after that.