Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Stereo Setup and using regular pedalboard

marctemp

Hey there, I'm looking at some options with my rig and going direct in PA and DAW etc.  So I'm wanting to use my normal pedalboard and use the Helix like 2 amps in stereo.  I want to run my stereo board out to the Helix LT, so out of a Strymon Bigsky in stereo into LT and then have two different amps (say an AC30 for the left side of my signal and a Deluxe for the right).  Then out the XLRs direct into FOH with AC30 on left and Deluxe on right.  I know there is a stereo effects loop but I'm not really wanting to run the effects post amp, but rather pre amp just like do with a real amp (or two amps for that matter).  I think you can use on of the returns as a second guitar input.  Anywho, is what I'm wanting to do possible?  If so how?

If it were me I would go out of a send from Helix to your board, then out of your strymon, to returns 1/2 on the Helix. Helix allows you to put those return signals anywhere in the signal path, so you can run them before the amp models if you wish, or after, wherever you want. 

Or you can run your guitar into your external board, then the stereo outs into Helix returns.

The return as a guitar input is not optimal. They are not engineered to be a guitar input. Only the guitar IN is. 

Yes, it's possible. 

If it were me I would go out of a send from Helix to your board, then out of your strymon, to returns 1/2 on the Helix. Helix allows you to put those return signals anywhere in the signal path, so you can run them before the amp models if you wish, or after, wherever you want. 

Or you can run your guitar into your external board, then the stereo outs into Helix returns.

The return as a guitar input is not optimal. They are not engineered to be a guitar input. Only the guitar IN is. 

Yes, it's possible. 

Thank you,

Can you assign a different amp for each return? And then pan each hard right or left?

Thank you,

Can you assign a different amp for each return? And then pan each hard right or left?

Yes you can do that. You may want to play around with a Helix if you know someone that has one to see if it is a good fit for your needs. You may also find that you may want to consider ditching your regular pedal board and just put a couple key pedals (strymon) in the loops in Helix. Having everything in one box sure is handy. 

But...

to get the most out of amp sims in Helix, you want a guitar connected to the input. Other signal paths will work, but the amp models will not behave just like amp models. There is a reason that they put really sophisticated input circuitry on Helix, so that it would work just right with a guitar connected, so the pickups would be "loaded" properly, so that the tone would be amp-like.

If you do it the way you describe, it will not happen that way imho.

I use the Helix LT with stereo inputs similar to the way you describe but with a different motive.  I am playing a PRS P-24 with the mags run through the primary input and the piezos run through the return.  It sounds like I am playing two different guitars in unison and with effects it really gets interesting.  I don't use any amp models on the piezo side but run the mag side anywhere from clean to nasty.

I use the Helix LT with stereo inputs similar to the way you describe but with a different motive.  I am playing a PRS P-24 with the mags run through the primary input and the piezos run through the return.  It sounds like I am playing two different guitars in unison and with effects it really gets interesting.  I don't use any amp models on the piezo side but run the mag side anywhere from clean to nasty.

Dude, there is some AMAZING stuff you can do on the piezo side with IR and stuff... have you checked it out? I play two-voice as well.

https://pietrosquared.wordpress.com/helix-2-voice-guitar/

Dude, there is some AMAZING stuff you can do on the piezo side with IR and stuff... have you checked it out? I play two-voice as well.

https://pietrosquared.wordpress.com/helix-2-voice-guitar/

I have not but I am new to the Helix and haven't really scratched the surface.  The IR portion of my Helix is blank but I am certainly willing to learn about it.  I am actually considering using my PRS for an acoustic gig if the right opportunity presents itself.  I just clicked on your link and saw the Crowdster  (very cool).  I have considered one of those as well as the Hamer Duotone. 

I have not but I am new to the Helix and haven't really scratched the surface.  The IR portion of my Helix is blank but I am certainly willing to learn about it.  I am actually considering using my PRS for an acoustic gig if the right opportunity presents itself.  I just clicked on your link and saw the Crowdster  (very cool).  I have considered one of those as well as the Hamer Duotone. 

Almost got a Duo Tone once. Awesome guitar. Crowdster is another level, but for the price, it should be.