Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Turbosound iX12

lhomme61

I finally made the jump to full range powered speakers instead of a guitar amp and cabs for my Helix.  I picked up a pair of Turbosound iX12 speakers from a local pro audio shop. I was planning to go with Alto's but for the extra $50 these have a programmable DSP.  I like them so far.  I wondering who else might be using these and any pointers on usage. Thanks.

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Turbosound/iX/iX12/p/P0BJX

I've never heard of these, but they appear to have the key features you would want.  Just so you know the Alto does have DSP processing as do most of these type of speakers.  The Alto has the contour switch which is a fairly rudimentary function for modifying the response curve, whereas this has some more extensive functions..almost to excess.  It seems to have the more important DSP functions such as placement, but it also provides DSP functions for altering bass, mid, and treble response which is very strange for a FRFR speaker and something you typically don't see or want in a speaker of this type.  Typically you want the DSP to manage a flat response and only make modifications based on placement or sometimes usage like the QSC and Line 6 offerings do.  I would imagine you'd want to simply leave the bass, mid, and treble adjustments set to flat and just adjust for placement and hi pass (for subwoofers) in order to maintain the flat response.  I keep my hi-pass setting at 125hz as that matches most crossover points for subs and there's not much useful stuff below that range for typical guitar needs.

I suspect the extra $50 was more about the Bluetooth capabilities than the DSP.  You see this feature more in speakers that are marketed more toward the DJ audience than toward standard musician FOH or FRFR applications.

I've never heard of these, but they appear to have the key features you would want.  Just so you know the Alto does have DSP processing as do most of these type of speakers.  The Alto has the contour switch which is a fairly rudimentary function for modifying the response curve, whereas this has some more extensive functions..almost to excess.  It seems to have the more important DSP functions such as placement, but it also provides DSP functions for altering bass, mid, and treble response which is very strange for a FRFR speaker and something you typically don't see or want in a speaker of this type.  Typically you want the DSP to manage a flat response and only make modifications based on placement or sometimes usage like the QSC and Line 6 offerings do.  I would imagine you'd want to simply leave the bass, mid, and treble adjustments set to flat and just adjust for placement and hi pass (for subwoofers) in order to maintain the flat response.  I keep my hi-pass setting at 125hz as that matches most crossover points for subs and there's not much useful stuff below that range for typical guitar needs.

I suspect the extra $50 was more about the Bluetooth capabilities than the DSP.  You see this feature more in speakers that are marketed more toward the DJ audience than toward standard musician FOH or FRFR applications.

Thanks for the input.  I don't have much experience with PA or FRFR speakers.  They did sound good to me during practice.  The ability to set the speaker placement was a big selling point for me.