Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as sole interface + Yamaha HS7 x2 + Alto TS 215W

stanwas

Hi there,

I intend to buy a Helix Rack which I would like to use as my sole audio interface at home. To Helix I will connect two Yamaha HS7s and a PA speaker - Alto TS 215W. Here's what I would like to know:

1. Would it be possible to force Helix Rack to have system audio playback (Youtube, guitar pro, etc.) come only through my monitors (no Helix-processed intrument sound coming through them) and Helix-processed bass guitar sound coming from the Alto when practicing playing bass (alternatively together with audio playback)?

2. Would I need to have an additional USB interface (e.g. Focusrite) for this purpose?

3. Would Helix LT suffice to do what Helix Rack can?

• 2 weeks later...

3) The LT is missing the more robust routing options so if you were going for more physical routing (cables etc) you'd need the big one.

I know this is not related to your question but when you play at home at low volume do you prefer the Yamaha or the Alto?

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Yes, if your question is will the Helix LT do what you ask in Questions 1 and 2. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Helix LT lacks several features and I/O as compared to the Helix Rack. Most notably in your scenario is that the Helix LT does not have an Aux Guitar Input as the Rack and Helix Floor do. The Aux Guitar In would be where most users would connect their Bass Guitar. The differences between the LT and Rack (or Floor) are published on the Line 6 Product site. The units are sonically identical.

• Upvote 1

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Yes, if your question is will the Helix LT do what you ask in Questions 1 and 2. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Helix LT lacks several features and I/O as compared to the Helix Rack. Most notably in your scenario is that the Helix LT does not have an Aux Guitar Input as the Rack and Helix Floor do. The Aux Guitar In would be where most users would connect their Bass Guitar. The differences between the LT and Rack (or Floor) are published on the Line 6 Product site. The units are sonically identical.

I tried out my active bass (Marcus Miller M3) with Helix LT's guitar input and it sounded fine to my ears (although I was using headphones). Would Aux in be any better (more dynamic range, etc.) for bass then?

And also - could I use FX return on Helix LT to compensate for the lack of second guitar input (as in Rack/Floor)?

I tried out my active bass (Marcus Miller M3) with Helix LT's guitar input and it sounded fine to my ears (although I was using headphones). Would Aux in be any better (more dynamic range, etc.) for bass then?

And also - could I use FX return on Helix LT to compensate for the lack of second guitar input (as in Rack/Floor)?

The Aux input is supposedly designed for active pickup instruments. Not sure about more dynamic range. 

FX return will work, but it is not designed to be a guitar input. It is unsure what the input impedance of those are, and you cannot change the impedance in global settings. 

• Upvote 1

So far I like Helix LT very much. I chose it over the rack version simply due to the price (a lot higher with Control). Since I have Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen interface, what would be the best way to record wet from Helix LT (inputs at the back of the interface or mic inputs at the front) (XLR or maybe 1/4"?)? Maybe it is better/easier to use Helix's USB/interface function for this purpose?

So far I like Helix LT very much. I chose it over the rack version simply due to the price (a lot higher with Control). Since I have Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen interface, what would be the best way to record wet from Helix LT (inputs at the back of the interface or mic inputs at the front) (XLR or maybe 1/4"?)? Maybe it is better/easier to use Helix's USB/interface function for this purpose?

USB to your DAW. There is no need to use a secondary interface since the Helix IS an interface. 

The Aux Guitar In does not have the Auto Impedence nor manually variable Impedence ability of the Main Guitar In. It presents a convenient method to have two Guitars connected to the Helix Floor and Rack.

IIRC Helix's FX Send and Returns are 1M Ohm.

• Upvote 1