Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT and JMP-1

fotogestaltung

I have a Marshall 9100 poweramp, a JMP-1 and the Helix LT. Right now it´s set up like this:

1. Guitar>Helix guitar input

2. Helix Send>JMP-1 guitar in

3. JMP-1 Send>Helix Return

4. Helix 1/4 out>Marshall 9100 poweramp input

Can I use the JMP-1 Output instead of the JMP-1 Send (in step 3)? If yes, what´s better and why?

You do want to run post effects "after" the JMP-1 preamp, right? To do this, the signal needs to go back into Helix so that you can add those effects (mod, delay, reverb) via the editor/ or front controls.

Also, in using Helix before the send to the JMP-1, you can add a wah, eq, and other stomps. If both the send and the output of the JMP-1 are line lvl Im not sure why it would make a difference (other than for normality) to use either one. Make sure that the output is the same level as the send, so that no damage will occur to the Helix return in port. Hope this helped.

You do want to run post effects "after" the JMP-1 preamp, right? To do this, the signal needs to go back into Helix so that you can add those effects (mod, delay, reverb) via the editor/ or front controls.

Also, in using Helix before the send to the JMP-1, you can add a wah, eq, and other stomps. If both the send and the output of the JMP-1 are line lvl Im not sure why it would make a difference (other than for normality) to use either one. Make sure that the output is the same level as the send, so that no damage will occur to the Helix return in port. Hope this helped.

Yes, I want to run some effects in front and some after the JMP-1. This works perfectly right now. I was just wondering, wether using the "Output" instead of the "Send" would make any difference.

I have a Marshall 9100 poweramp, a JMP-1 and the Helix LT. Right now it´s set up like this:

4. Helix 1/4 out>Marshall 9100 poweramp input

Can I use the JMP-1 Output instead of the JMP-1 Send (in step 3)? If yes, what´s better and why?

You could, but I recommend keeping the setup the way that you have it now.  

I run my Mesa Triaxis with the same wiring scheme as you. I prefer it because:

1. Fewer volume pots and buffers - less circuitry in the path makes for a lower noise floor
  2. Not worrying about yet another volume knob - in your case two with the JMP1.   Fiddling with the preamp's output level will change the gain structure of effects/amps in the Helix. When things go wrong (because they inevitably do) you'll scratch your head one fewer scratch before you solve the problem.  I.e., you'll look cooler on stage. 

There is ONE change I'd recommend if you haven't done it yet - YMMV, but it could really improve your tone:  Use Helix Send 1 to the JMP input, and 

set it to "instrument" in global settings; then connect the JMP1 1 send to Return 2 on the Helix, and set it to "line".   

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

There's no difference but you can only set line/instrument level per pair of send returns. You need your send to be instrument level and your return needs to be line so that's why TheDaveDaveDave recommended to do it that way.

Your main 1/4" out needs to be set to line level too.

Craig

• Upvote 2

There's no difference but you can only set line/instrument level per pair of send returns. You need your send to be instrument level and your return needs to be line so that's why TheDaveDaveDave recommended to do it that way.

Your main 1/4" out needs to be set to line level too.

Craig

Yup - this!

yeah, and Helix's relatively brand new modeling technology will almost certainly destroy JMP1's 25-year-old tech.

Well, there's no harm in checking it out and really A/B'ing them.

FWIW, I've got a small stash of 60 year old Telefunken preamp tubes, only one of which I've been using in different preamps. Sure, the Helix does a lot of tones, but until they model my Mark V with a Telefunken.... or the Tri....

Only truth is what you hear :)

I just love the JMP-1 and will continue to use it. Maybe until I find a lead sound in the Helix that is better. But there are so many possibilities that that could take a while. Especially the mids in the JMP-1 are very flexible and I set them to a higher value than probably most other people. And that special sound is not easy to achieve, because the mid controls of most other amps (and also the Helix) react different IMO. Of course I could also use an EQ in addition. So time will tell.....

I also know now, why I was told to use Return 2 instead of Return 1. If you set the level to instrument or line, it´s always for send and return in the LT. So, if you want instrument for send and line for return, you have to use different send and return loops.

• 1 month later...

Here´s another question:

As already said that´s the Setup:

4. Helix 1/4 out>Marshall 9100 poweramp Input

As soon as I activate the send and return loops of the Helix, I get a terrible hum. It´s rather low with the JMP-1´s clean sound and terrible with it´s distored sounds.

Even if I set my guitar´s volume to 0, I get that hum.

I´ve tried the JMP-1 and the 9100 alone and there´s very little noise, just normal for tube amps. So they are okay.

I´ve already seen, where the noise comes from: It´s the cable that goes from the Helix send to the JMP-1 guitar input. I´ve tried different cables, but no change. If I move the cable around the hum changes very much, just like it´s an antenna. I´ve already disabled WLAN in the room, just to make sure, it doesn´t influence anything.

I´ve set the send output Level to lower settings, but the signal/noise ratio stays the same. Hum is lower, but my guitar sound also.

I´ve tried different wall sockets, but no change.

Any ideas, what I could do?

That sounds like a grounding issue somewhere honestly.

What is you go Helix>Power Amp? Next step is to plugin JMP in 4cm like you would normally do, but disable Loop in a patch.

If the setup is still quiet, enable loop. If its noisy at this point, it's gotta be one of the loop cables