Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pitch Shifter and Harmonizer are awful in this thing

SharkGuitar7

Line6 only gives you a "mix" control to balance the wet/dry signal.
This results in a very weak sounding effect that's practically unusable.

I was using a cheap Digitech RP1000 for the last eight years and even that unit gave you a dedicated separate wet and dry adjustment so you could keep the dry signal 100% strong and then add in the amount of harmony or pitch you wanted with the wet control.

On the FHFX, when you slide the "mix" control over on this unit, you are losing dry signal the stronger you make the effect.
Sounds like little kazoos!

Just horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Line6 only gives you a "mix" control to balance the wet/dry signal.

This results in a very weak sounding effect that's practically unusable.

I was using a cheap Digitech RP1000 for the last eight years and even that unit gave you a dedicated separate wet and dry adjustment so you could keep the dry signal 100% strong and then add in the amount of harmony or pitch you wanted with the wet control.

On the FHFX, when you slide the "mix" control over on this unit, you are losing dry signal the stronger you make the effect.

Sounds like little kazoos!

Just horrible.

If I remember correctly, having the mix at 50% gives you an even mix of the original note and the harmony. Going above 50% increases the volume of the harmony note, and is not the way to go if you are looking at a simple harmony. I set mine at 35-40% and it sounds fine for harmonies. The percentages setup for line 6 stuff is counter intuitive and can be confusing.

If I remember correctly, having the mix at 50% gives you an even mix of the original note and the harmony. Going above 50% increases the volume of the harmony note, and is not the way to go if you are looking at a simple harmony. I set mine at 35-40% and it sounds fine for harmonies. The percentages setup for line 6 stuff is counter intuitive and can be confusing.

I wish it worked that way.

When you slide the "mix" control over, adding effect, you are also simultaneously lowering the volume of the "dry" signal, which substantially weakens the sound.

Think of it as a 'balance control' more than a 'wet/dry' control.

It begins to sound like a kazoo. 

I can't go much above 20-25% or the signal becomes so weak. I typically prefer my harmony signal to be at about 75% and my original dry signal around 100%.

This results in a strong, natural sounding tone. Almost like two actual guitars are playing together.

Please Line 6 address this?

When you slide the "mix" control over, adding effect, you are also simultaneously lowering the volume of the "dry" signal, which substantially weakens the sound.

I can't go much above 20-25% or the signal becomes so weak. I typically prefer my harmony signal to be at about 75% and my original dry signal around 100%.

This results in a strong, natural sounding tone. Almost like two actual guitars are playing together.

Where are you locating the pitch shifter (you're using smart harmony I assume) block in relation to the amp and cab? 

I just messed around with it, and noticed it sounds much better after the amp block. Before the amp the kazoo effect is prominent, but when I placed it in the block after the amp block (right before the effects loop) it sounded fine, mix at 40%.

• Upvote 1

I just messed around with it, and noticed it sounds much better after the amp block. Before the amp the kazoo effect is prominent, but when I placed it in the block after the amp block (right before the effects loop) it sounded fine, mix at 40%.

Cool, I've also had blocks in what I thought was proper order, but had things work out better in a different order, especially where amps are concerned.

Just make sure you save that sound for next time you want kazoos!  :lol:

Cool, I've also had blocks in what I thought was proper order, but had things work out better in a different order, especially where amps are concerned.

Just make sure you save that sound for next time you want kazoos!  :lol:

Hey genesound,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to look into this for yourself.

Yeah, I'm running it 'after' the amp.

This is an effect I've been using for many, many years with other processors, including an Eventide H9, so I have a lot of experience with harmonizers and pitch shifters, and a good idea about how it's supposed to sound.

Running it before makes it far worse as you pointed out. But even where it should be (after the amp) it just loses too much dry signal while simultaneously turning up the effect to be useful for me.

The FHFX definitely falls short unfortunately.