Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alto ts212

cgar18

I use an Alto TS110A and have been very pleased with it.  Patches translate fairly well.  

I generally use it for my own monitoring if the venue isn't able to give me my own mix.  But have also used it as a main speaker when I've done low key solo gigs with good results.  

I haven't directly compared it to speakers costing 2-3 times as much, but for my needs it really fits the bill.  

I'm using the TS212; very satisfied! I suppose there are better FRFR powered speakers out there if you want to spend 3 times as much, but I didn't have that kind of money and the Alto is working just as good as I hoped it would.

Im assuming its loud enough to use on its own in small midsize places?

Im assuming its loud enough to use on its own in small midsize places?

Yes. Interestingly a 1/4 inch cable provides more volume than an XLR; I don't know why but others here have noticed the same thing. But yes, this thing can hold it's own with an overly enthusiastic drummer. I've used it with a couple of loud bands with no problem.

Can it handle bass guitar (5-string)? Alto TS212 I mean. I'm looking for something that could replace my two separate amps for home practice. Would be usable with Helix LT and bass guitar outseide home setting?

Would a 12" frfr require cutting some low frequencies?

I bought two Alto ts210. And love it. I put them on a pole behind me for stage volume. I tried one and was not happy but I've always been a stereo guy so once I added the second one I was in heaven. I have not tried some of the more expensive yet either but it seems to be translating to our QSC main system very nicely. I haven't noticed a volume difference between the XLR and quarter inch personally but I haven't really tried. I do however hear a lot of extra hiss when I use a quarter inch and I don't know why. Maybe it's the extra volume? But they are super quiet with XLR. I keep them turned at 12, and my helix right around 12 as well and it's pretty dang loud

Can it handle bass guitar (5-string)? Alto TS212 I mean. I'm looking for something that could replace my two separate amps for home practice. Would be usable with Helix LT and bass guitar outseide home setting?

I'm a little reluctant to comment since I'm not a bass player. Bass players tend to like biamping, 10 or 15 inch speakers and higher wattage power amps than guitar players. But there ARE several bass amp and cab models in Helix and I suppose they're intended for use in FRFR speakers (along with other options). Being a full range speaker, I'd imagine it would handle bass frequencies just fine (and yes, you'd probably have to cut low and high frequencies just like us guitar players do). But you'd be better off getting advice from real bass players.

I played a couple of gigs on bass a few decades ago. I knew what notes to play and where to put them in the beat but what I discovered I didn't know was how important note duration is to make a groove feel good. If I was serious about playing bass I would've figured it out eventually, but I wasn't; guitar is enough of a challenge!

A TS212 is nothing different than a typical PA speaker.  Lots of people use a direct line from bass amps into mixing boards for FOH and there's no problem.  The same would hold true here.  The only difference in cases where the bass goes into the FOH is there's typically a sub doing some of the very low work (< 120 Hz), but that shouldn't have much of an effect other than losing some very lowest frequencies.  Route the Helix in a live situation into the mixing console and you have the same thing as coming direct from a bass amp.

I bought two Alto ts210. And love it. I put them on a pole behind me for stage volume. I tried one and was not happy but I've always been a stereo guy so once I added the second one I was in heaven. I have not tried some of the more expensive yet either but it seems to be translating to our QSC main system very nicely. I haven't noticed a volume difference between the XLR and quarter inch personally but I haven't really tried. I do however hear a lot of extra hiss when I use a quarter inch and I don't know why. Maybe it's the extra volume? But they are super quiet with XLR. I keep them turned at 12, and my helix right around 12 as well and it's pretty dang loud

That's the whole point of using a (balanced) XLR over a normal (unbalanced) instrument cable, It has two grounding paths out of phase with each other so that any noise entering the cable is automatically cancelled out when it outputs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Yes. Interestingly a 1/4 inch cable provides more volume than an XLR; I don't know why but others here have noticed the same thing. But yes, this thing can hold it's own with an overly enthusiastic drummer. I've used it with a couple of loud bands with no problem.

Perhaps it automatically switches to instrument/mic level when you use XLR, whereas it will take a full line level signal from 1/4" cables.  I've seen references that some amps will do this, force an XLR connection to instrument level.  But that would equate to a huge difference in volume in most cases.  Guess I'm going to check that out when I get home....

That's the whole point of using a (balanced) XLR over a normal (unbalanced) instrument cable, It has two grounding paths out of phase with each other so that any noise entering the cable is automatically cancelled out when it outputs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Yes but hiss typically comes from electronics, it's not the kind of noise that is picked up by cables.

I went with JBL Eon 612... will see what it can handle in bout two days. Chose 12" since 12" inch is kind of standard for guitars and 12" PA might have more low end for the bass guitar - I will probably end up buying another monitor for stereo ;)

Seems like JBL Eon 612 has bluetooth, but it's not for streaming audio... just for the EON connect app. The speaker creates a low-volume, but constant hiss. However, it handles bass guitar well enough (tried the 4-string).

Loving my EON 612! The EON Connect app allows you to make a custom EQ curve that is useful for getting your EON to respond more like a typical PA speaker. Check the website for a curve, EONs have an unusually flat response in the high frequencies, which makes them sound "bright." I rolled off some high end and boosted the bass and mids by a small amount (for monitoring six-string electric). Yes, the constant hiss is noticeable in low ambients, but I was pleased to discover that it doesn't get louder as speaker volume is increased. To get max volume, make sure your modeler's outputs are matched to the speaker's inputs, i.e. both line or both mic. I tried plugging an electric-acoustic guitar directly into one of the 1/4" inputs set to line level and couldn't figure out at first why it wasn't very loud. To get the same volume out of XLR as 1/4", I do have the run the input level higher on the EON. XLR noticeably eliminates cable noise.

I just bought a Ts212 to try it/ AB against my TS110. I wanted to get 2 TS210's but the local GC didn't have any in stock. My intent was to make an all around solution since I use the Helix out with Guitar, Bass and Acoustic.  Its definitely louder than 110 and and the low end is there but I like the punch of 10's like my bass amp and don't know yet if i'll get that out it. It seems to make sense they though they will be a better reference  to my FOH tone than the 10's (Peavey 15's and 2 subs when we aren't using venue PA).