Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not able to reliably change Variax models with Helix

Mooseboy08

Hey, all—

I'm still new to using the VDI system to connect my Variax with my Helix, so it's very likely that my problem is due to ignorance on my part. However, I can't get the Variax model to change reliably, nor can I ever get the individual string tunings to change. I've created a quick youtube video to demonstrate, so I'd appreciate you taking a look at it just to see where I've gone wrong:

TIA,

Mooseboy

That was a superb idea, it worked! I'm ashamed that I didn't think of it, since 50% of my paycheck comes from troubleshooting. It's too bad that it doesn't work with the editor. Or maybe I need to try connecting to the editor again and just doing the mods on the pedal itself…  :unsure:

Anyway, thanks to you I have a workaround!

I have found that sometimes the VDI cable doesn't snug all the way in. The Variax powers and works, but I had problems setting the models and alt tunings. If I make sure the cable is plugged all the way in, then no problems. It takes a bigger push then you might think.

Hey, all—

I'm still new to using the VDI system to connect my Variax with my Helix, so it's very likely that my problem is due to ignorance on my part. However, I can't get the Variax model to change reliably, nor can I ever get the individual string tunings to change. I've created a quick youtube video to demonstrate, so I'd appreciate you taking a look at it just to see where I've gone wrong:

TIA,

Mooseboy

You definitely do want to always have your "Variax Settings" parameter set to 'Per Preset'. This parameter appears to be a local setting but it is actually global. If you don't set it to 'Per Preset' any saved preset with a Variax input block may not honor that preset's Variax settings properly as it thinks it is being set globally and it may have been changed in another preset.

The first thing I would check, given that this is working directly on the Helix but not in the Editor, would be that your software and firmware versions match. You can see the firmware version on the Helix when it is booting and you can see the Editor version by checking the menu under "Help" --> "About Helix". You can also see the firmware version in the upper left hand side of the Editor but this is NOT the Editor version. If the firmware and Editor versions are not matching I would download the correct "Helix" app version for your firmware which will unpack the proper version of the Editor when it is installed.

When you do have the proper version of the Editor installed (maybe you did already) and have the input block set to 'Per Preset' for the "Variax Settings" parameter, and the preset saved, I would shutdown the Helix, recheck and replug my VDI cable on both ends, restart and test again. Good luck!

Btw, where do you have the Model knob on the Variax set? I have found model selection and operation can get wonky if you have it turned all the way to the extreme, kind of in a "null" position.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll make sure to check the "Per Preset" vs. "Global". And yeah, that does seem to be a really weird place to have a Global command live. Everything in this area should be granular. But of course, I missed the last meeting of the Helix Software Design Team, so I didn't get to give my input  :D