Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestion of backpack for Helix

shilohlsk

Hi all,

Any good suggestion of backpack beside Line 6's one (good protection and able to handle this heavy stuff)?

I believe it would be better to carry this on my back rather with my hands......it's too heavy...^^"

According to my experience, it's too difficult for me to carry this with my hands. I tried for 6 months already.

Thanks~

I spent two days researching cases for the Helix. I could not find anything that had the right dimensions, substantial padding and ample storage.

I ordered the Helix Backpack and soooooo glad I did. I am very impressed with it. It is extremely well made. It is super padded. The Helix fits like a glove. And it has tons of storage.

It is obvious that a comparable amount of thought went into the Helix Backpack as went into the Helix itself.

Don't waste your time or money looking for something else.

Get the real deal.

• Upvote 1

I use a Novation backpack, made for their 25key controllers - works great.  Main compartment started out a bit snug but eased up over some use, enough accessory space for a small sideboard with 2 expression pedals and cables.  Ran about $75 as I recall.

...Ok, $70   https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseBag25  

• Upvote 1

I use a Novation backpack, made for their 25key controllers - works great.  Main compartment started out a bit snug but eased up over some use, enough accessory space for a small sideboard with 2 expression pedals and cables.  Ran about $75 as I recall.

Does that hold full sized Helix?

The Line 6 Helix Backpack holds a bunch of additional gear in addition to the Helix! The Helix is safely nestled in the fully padded main compartment. The two exterior compartments can hold plenty more gear. And, when loaded the pack very nicely stands vertically on the four bottom rectangular feet. The top and side handles make it easy to grab and carry and the shoulder straps, are there if you you need them. I've never worn mine on my back, so the straps remain tucked away and out of sight.

I spent two days researching cases for the Helix. I could not find anything that had the right dimensions, substantial padding and ample storage.

I ordered the Helix Backpack and soooooo glad I did. I am very impressed with it. It is extremely well made. It is super padded. The Helix fits like a glove. And it has tons of storage.

It is obvious that a comparable amount of thought went into the Helix Backpack as went into the Helix itself.

Don't waste your time or money looking for something else.

Get the real deal.

I have to say, I agree the Helix backpack is top notch. Very well designed and well made.

Thanks for all your sharing.

I feel a bit more confident in Line 6's backpack

I also have the Novation Backpack which was about half the current price on Amazon. It does hold a Helix comfortably and has space for a reasonable amount of extra gear but it is really intended for a lighter bit of kit. My use is house to car, car to rehearsal/gig  and back again so it is not as if it has to hike over the Rockies and it will do me. But a lot of the decision was based on the "you spent HOW MUCH????" reaction to the Helix purchase and if money wasn't an issue the official one was definitely the preferred option.

Would I be able to fit a BOSS FV-500H in either of those side pockets?

It's 11.5" Long, 4.5" wide and 3" tall (actually slightly smaller than those dimensions

I actually have two, so I'd like to carry them in the side pockets and put wires in junk in the main pockets.

I have the Helix backpack and it does seem well made but I am worried about the quality of the zippers. So far (about 7 months using it once a week) they are lasting.

I was impressed that the zippers look like they are waterproof. I've only seen one person that any trouble with them and Line 6 replaced the Backpack.

Factory Helix backpack all the way, no hesitation. I was an early adopter of Helix (November 2015) and have now played tons of shows with it and transported it in planes, trucks, you name it, to every show in that backpack.

Only had one issue (and it was about a month after I received it). One of the plastic clasps that holds together one of the shoulder straps failed as I was climbing down a stairway leaving a stage at a load-out. The Helix toppled down the metal stairway and onto the concrete street below, about a 6-7 foot fall. The Helix wasn't even scratched. The backpack was pretty banged up and Sweetwater replaced the whole backpack for me under warranty.

It has a surprising amount of usable space too. In mine I carry: extra cables, a Tech21 RK-5 Fly Rig (as a backup for the Helix) with a wall wart, a Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, my Shure GLX-D16 wireless pedal and body pack and other stuff I can't remember. Never an issue and I have it LOADED full all the time. Fits neatly into overhead plane bins on fly shows. 

Cannot begin to recommend the factory backpack enough. Rock solid. Even when you load it down like I have. BTW, never a single issue with the zippers. They are built as tough as the backpack is.

Good luck

Bradley GT 

• Upvote 1

One thing I thought of when it comes to the Line6 backpack is how wide does the opening open? I had first ordered the Novation backpack and didn't like that it was too tight and that sliding the Helix inside it was a constant fight with the knobs getting caught on the opening. As heavy as the Helix is, it was kind of a chore. Also, some here have had trouble with the main data wheel crapping out and I wonder if pulling the Helix in and out of that tight fitting bag would contribute to the problem.

One thing I thought of when it comes to the Line6 backpack is how wide does the opening open? I had first ordered the Novation backpack and didn't like that it was too tight and that sliding the Helix inside it was a constant fight with the knobs getting caught on the opening. As heavy as the Helix is, it was kind of a chore. Also, some here have had trouble with the main data wheel crapping out and I wonder if pulling the Helix in and out of that tight fitting bag would contribute to the problem.

The way it opens up is like a Mono guitar case... two zips down from one end of the Helix, down 1/2 way the length. Both snug and easy... love it!

I love the backpack; best case Line 6 has ever made for any of their products. Before buying, I thought it was too expensive but it turned out to be worth every penny!

I thought the Line 6 pack was a bit snug at first, but really, it's just that it fits perfectly.

I had the same experience but I think it's just a little stiff (I'm probably setting myself up for a snarky joke here) when it's brand new. I struggled to get the Helix in it on the first day or two, but it slides in easy now (get your minds out of the gutter!). 

Does anyone know or can somebody measure what the dimensions of the Helix bag are, Height, width and depth of the two pockets?

As I mentioned previously, I've got two BOSS FVH-500H Volume/Expression pedals, plus a bunch of wires and a couple outlet strips I'd like to put in the case.

I can fit it all in my current case, a "World of Golf" Double Layer Trunk Locker that fits the Helix on top perfectly and I can put everything I need in the equivalent section below (price at Savers.. $8).... But it's just too bulky/heavy to carry effectively on the shoulder strap I put on it, I'd rather have back pack straps.  It actually has room to spare even with two foldable guitar stands (that won't fit in the Helix bag).  But the Line 6 bag will protect the Helix better and will be easier to carry.

Factory Helix backpack all the way, no hesitation. I was an early adopter of Helix (November 2015) and have now played tons of shows with it and transported it in planes, trucks, you name it, to every show in that backpack.

Only had one issue (and it was about a month after I received it). One of the plastic clasps that holds together one of the shoulder straps failed as I was climbing down a stairway leaving a stage at a load-out. The Helix toppled down the metal stairway and onto the concrete street below, about a 6-7 foot fall. The Helix wasn't even scratched. The backpack was pretty banged up and Sweetwater replaced the whole backpack for me under warranty.

It has a surprising amount of usable space too. In mine I carry: extra cables, a Tech21 RK-5 Fly Rig (as a backup for the Helix) with a wall wart, a Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, my Shure GLX-D16 wireless pedal and body pack and other stuff I can't remember. Never an issue and I have it LOADED full all the time. Fits neatly into overhead plane bins on fly shows. 

Cannot begin to recommend the factory backpack enough. Rock solid. Even when you load it down like I have. BTW, never a single issue with the zippers. They are built as tough as the backpack is.

Good luck

Bradley GT 

Mine has also taken a tumble down the stairs and not only is the Helix not beat up and it still works fine but the case is also still good to go. Granted these were carpeted stairs, but still. Watching it roll down the stairs is not fun... The only issue I have had is that a small hole opened in one of the corners. the Line 6 warranty is over on mine, so I couldn't get it replaced, but it hasn't caused any issues. Could always just put a patch over it anyway... Also, sometimes the zipper pulls pull off, but they are easy to put back on, so... meh.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested... Got my Helix Backpack; very happy with it, well built much easier to lug around than what I used to use.

Pockets are 12.5" x 16" x 4" and 6" x 8" x 2.75"

In the large pocket, I was able to fit 2 BOSS FV-500H pedals, an 8 foot 6 outlet extension cord and a folding guitar stand, and then on top of that a couple of zipper bags for my cables.  Then in the top pocket I put another bag of less often used cables.  So I'm only short 1 guitar stand and another 8 foot 6 outlet extension cable compared to what I used to carry.  I'm happy.  I can put the other guitar stand in my Variax bag, and I don't really need the second extension cord.  I usually just bring it in case others need it.

I picked one up for mine as well.. very glad I did.

Does anyone know what the hell the 2 elastic loop things are for? I got nothin

Some people like to use carabiners to attach stuff to the outside of the bag, to hold things like loops of cables and other somesuch that doesn't fit in the pockets.  Kind of a typical thing for backpacks these days...

DesignGuy said he didn't want to make the top pocket too big which could make the bag top heavy when fully loaded, and those loopy things filled in the blank space nicely (bein' an Industrial Design type of Guy, he likes things to look good as well as be functional.)

Aside from leasing cable loops or using carabiners, the 12 webbing loops (6 on either side of the top pouch of the backpack) also serve as leash points for longer items. Two or three of the supplied velcro straps (or similar) may be used to strap a stand to the top and bottom (or more) webbing loops. Might be a bit awkward, but could be done to save a trip back out to the car, etc.