Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When will we see new models and firmware for helix??

MarkJarvis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here, but I can't help but wonder if the concept of "Open Source", might not resolve most, if not all of the complaints and wish list requests, many are making.

Allow the Helix users to define and design their own add-ons.  Release the source code and establish an open source forum with a "hold harmless" provision.  That model has certainly been viable for other companies.

I'm new here, but I can't help but wonder if the concept of "Open Source", might not resolve most, if not all of the complaints and wish list requests, many are making.

Allow the Helix users to define and design their own add-ons.  Release the source code and establish an open source forum with a "hold harmless" provision.  That model has certainly been viable for other companies.

Boy that sounds like a support nightmare!!!  1,000 fingers pointing at each other when something breaks!!!!

OpenTX is just one example of Open Source software.  I'm certainly not saying that it's a panacea, but it's certainly been a workable model for other companies.  It shouldn't be a support nightmare for Line 6, that's the sole purpose of a hold harmless provision.

No one would be forcing anyone to install those user supplied updates, that would be the discretion of the individual.  Currently patches are being exchanged freely and I'm not aware of anyone attempting to hold Line 6 accountable should one of those go awry.  From a cursory review of the .hlx file code, it would be seem that the potential for problems could exist even at that level.  Consequently, I fail to see how providing the source code would expose Line 6 to additional liability.

yep i'd rather let the experts be the keepers of the flame .. i think coding a few photo filters for gimp may not be quite the same as component modelling an audio fx pedal or amplifier..

That's certainly your prerogative, however others may feel differently.  We all fear, what we don't understand.

I would agree with you.  I wouldn't be inclined to install a effect from an individual that wasn't knowledgeable with the source code, but to my knowledge we don't even know what language was used to produce the code.

• Downvote 1

When talking about ERP-software or something like that I understand open source. But even in that case usually only software developers do the job. I'm not familiar with modelling software but ERP I am.

I wouldn't download if the source is not credited by Line6 or some other reliable source. Dont't say that it is impossible but suspicious I am.

Even though above said, if the idea works it would be fabulous. I presume there might be individuals who have the skill and enthusiasm. And sorry for my english, not my mother language.

When talking about ERP-software or something like that I understand open source. But even in that case usually only software developers do the job. I'm not familiar with modelling software but ERP I am.

I wouldn't download if the source is not credited by Line6 or some other reliable source. Dont't say that it is impossible but suspicious I am.

Even though above said, if the idea works it would be fabulous. I presume there might be individuals who have the skill and enthusiasm. And sorry for my english, not my mother language.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I wouldn't unscrupulously download Helix code or any other code, for that matter.

From my limited research, it's my understanding that the DSP chips in the Helix are SHARC processors from Analog Devices and run on the .NET based IDE.  That having been said, it's likely that SigmaStudio is the GUI development tool used my Line 6 for these processors.  SigmaStudio is a freely available for download at:  http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/processors-and-dsp/evaluation-and-development-software/ss_sigst_02.html#dsp-overview

Although I'm not familiar with Enterprise Resource Planning or their software, I assume we could agree that no one or any small collaborative group, regardless of their level of expertise ( IE. the Helix development team),  possess all the answers to every potential option available for this hardware.  Some would argue, that once someone is mired in a particular paradigm, they inevitably have difficulty thinking outside the box.

Even if one were understandably suspicious of another's code, the option for an individual to develop their own code, would ultimately prove to be of benefit to the Helix community.  since concepts could still be exchanged.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to 2.3 yesterday but can't see any of the new models in the list ... using an LT but engine is the same I think? Is it me ... ?

Press MENU and then Knob 6 (Global Settings). Does it say 2.30.0 in the top right corner?

Still no Vocoder. Damn and blast. PLEASE PUT THIS BACK IN!! It was in the HD-500 and this is supposed to be a 'premium product'.

Back in? Helix has never had a vocoder. IdeaScale's your friend.

MikeAllen-Pugh, on 30 Nov 2017 - 4:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Still no Vocoder. Damn and blast. PLEASE PUT THIS BACK IN!! It was in the HD-500 and this is supposed to be a 'premium product'.

Back in? Helix has never had a vocoder. IdeaScale's your friend.

**** As in it was in the previous Line 6 product before the Helix (HD-500). The Helix is great, but looks like I'll be going back to using the Axe-FX until it's (hopefully) in there. Currently using the wah to somewhat simulate, but not the same thing.

Wouldn't be my first criteria for choosing a modeler. Or second. But to each their own...

I'd like the Helix to eventually get one. 

But I am fine with plugin versions at the moment. I would rather Helix get more Bass/Guitar stuff (as well as features/improvements) first. Once more of that is fleshed out then perhaps something like a Vocoder could be cool!

• 2 months later...