Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When will we see new models and firmware for helix??

MarkJarvis

I'm glad that that we can use cab ir's, if not this unit would be totally

useless for me, can't understand why L6 not hearing this since their amps are of a

another leauge, improving the stock cabs, and reverbs will make this

the best all in one unit out there,(at least for me) because this is the weakest link in this unit!

• Upvote 1

Gut instinct, mostly. If a release ends up with notably more features or models than we expect, or if it includes features that require extensive documentation, we'll adjust the release number accordingly. For example, Snapshots came with 2.00, and we needed to update the manual to reflect that.

My favorite story involving release numbers was with the Mackie Digital 8•Bus mixer. Everyone was clamoring for 4.0, and one day Mackie made a public announcement that 4.0 would never come. The forums blew up with complaints and the next day they released 5.0. Totally skipped 4.0, just because it was funny.

Wow, that's your favorite story, how you decided to treat your customers with disrespect and laugh at them.  And I see a lot of that on this forum in the short time I've been here.

• Downvote 17

Wow, that's your favorite story, how you decided to treat your customers with disrespect and laugh at them. And I see a lot of that on this forum in the short time I've been here.

I've seen NONE of that from Line 6, here or anywhere else, ZERO.

Which is not something I can say for some others here, though the general tone is mostly quite friendly and reasonable.

And just to say it, Line 6 customer support has been nothing but 100% amazing, in my and many others' experience.

• Upvote 2

Wow, that's your favorite story, how you decided to treat your customers with disrespect and laugh at them.  And I see a lot of that on this forum in the short time I've been here.

Can you show some examples of this?  Or maybe you often mis-read posts (he was talking about a Mackie forum) and respond in a snarky way?

That's some impressive mental gymnastics there. There's a huge difference between Mackie having fun (and my recognizing that) and purposely disrespecting customers. IIRC, none of the Digital 8•Bus customers thought it was anything less than brilliant, and it made us feel even more like part of a family.

• Upvote 7

Really?  It's just a freaking number - the features that they released are the features that they worked long and hard to release, with the intent of pleasing their customers.  Come on man, lighten up!

I mostly use my Helix for effects straight into a 67 Princeton Reverb so most of the updates don't affect me too much. I do like the idea of a cab lab though! Had a Torpedo CAB for a while and while the sounds were maybe no better than the Helix it was fun to play with the room, cab, mic placement and such! My biggest desire right now is to get the Helix to control my Princeton's tremolo, haven't been able to get that working yet!

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are far more issues of importance other than more, more, more. I welcome the new amps and fx, but there is just tooooo much that Helix needs.  Also, there is also plenty of overlap with Helix.

I ***SO****  agree with this. 

The way in which one uses the HELIX - the way one uses it to control external devices - issues around levelling volumes... there is a TON of ways in which this great product can be made even greater.   And none of them involve merely adding more models. Particularly amps.  Effects ? yes sure - as long as its just not minor variants of "same same".

In fact maybe it would be better to just refine the way tubes and components are modelled currently - across the board -  getting rid of the "fizz-thing"..  better accuracy etc..

than simply more models. 

Although when it comes to effects  i think - yes - more is good. 

But it would be nice to have an update where NO new models get added - but  the actual functionality of the HELIX - workflow - etc etc  just improves vastly. 

I ***SO****  agree with this. 

The way in which one uses the HELIX - the way one uses it to control external devices - issues around levelling volumes... there is a TON of ways in which this great product can be made even greater.   And none of them involve merely adding more models. Particularly amps.  Effects ? yes sure - as long as its just not minor variants of "same same".

In fact maybe it would be better to just refine the way tubes and components are modelled currently - across the board -  getting rid of the "fizz-thing"..  better accuracy etc..

than simply more models. 

But it would be nice to have an update where NO new models get added - but  the actual functionality of the HELIX - workflow - etc etc  just improves vastly. 

Cool. Im not often agreed with. :P  Id love to see a frequency analyzer on the EQ.

as long as its just not minor variants of "same same".

Ya know, everytime i plug into a hardware pedal i think "wow, what a cool effect". Anytime i put an effect on in Helix i think "meh i could pretty much get this effect anywhere". I feel like there are a lot of fx there just to increase the menu size. Some of them are just so pointless.

"Since you had to wait 2 extra months for an update here is a multiband compressor".

"oh and heres a chorus just like every other one you have"

Cmon, be at least a LITTLE innovative.

The other thing that really bugs me is the way the mix parameters all go from 12% to off - when at 11 and 10%.

I dont have a big problem with the fizz. I guess i use IRs that are darker, so it gets lost in the wash, but Helix cabs are completely unuseable for me.....OK maybe 5% of my patches use a native cab.

. . . but I think a better way to organise IRs, an "undo" option, and better pitch tracking would be way more useful across the board.

UNDO would be great!  I've accidentally hit one of the capacitive buttons while adjusting one effect and messed up another setting many many times...

The multi band compressor was a great addition... Not the best example to use for just having a menu of effects listed. More function is great, more stability is great. So are more amp models, and FX models. (or improvements to them)

Only wanting more models, OR only wanting extended functionality, is short sighted imo. I am happy with what is already available, however I look forward to more in both function, and models. (or improvements to them) I think the Helix platform will continue to grow for some time. I hope I am right.  ;)

On the topic of Fizz:  I see both sides, try to eliminate it, or leave it a bit more raw (like it is currently). I think I have come up with a viable solution to this. Add a new FX block. Call it the Fizz eliminator, or "smoother," or ultra filter... A specially talor'd EQ, and filters made by Line 6 that will remove said fizz, (obviously it will have to be some what adjustable).  This gives those that want it what they want to a degree, and allows those that don't want it to just completely ignore the new FX block. This is just a fleeting thought I had, and I doubt I am the first to have it. But figured I would post it, even though I am sure it is not without it's own problems.

Ya know, everytime i plug into a hardware pedal i think "wow, what a cool effect". Anytime i put an effect on in Helix i think "meh i could pretty much get this effect anywhere". I feel like there are a lot of fx there just to increase the menu size. Some of them are just so pointless.

I often wonder if there is a lot of "goodness" and good sounds hidden away behind some of the existing effects but i'm just now experienced enough with them to tweak them into producing good sounds.  For this reason I think it is high time and would be extremely helpful if an update to HELIX added a new feature:   PRESETS PER EFFECT TYPE.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/799692

Line 6 could then provide an experly created set of FACTORY EFFECT PRESETS for every effect model type. 

There have - of course - been IdeaScale  requests made for this. 

I might be mistaken but I seem to recollect from somewhere that  AxeFx has had presets-per-effect-type  for quite a long time now. L6 already nicked one good idea from Fractal: Snapshots. 

Time now they did the same for effect presets too? 

Of course in the world of DAW effects - whether built-in  of effect plugins - it is commonplace for the vendors to provide factory presets to get users going. 

I often wonder if there is a lot of "goodness" and good sounds hidden away behind some of the existing effects but i'm just now experienced enough with them to tweak them into producing good sounds.  For this reason I think it is high time and would be extremely helpful if an update to HELIX added a new feature:   PRESETS PER EFFECT TYPE.

Line 6 could then provide an experly created set of FACTORY EFFECT PRESETS for every effect model type. 

There have - of course - been IdeaScale  requests made for this. 

I might be mistaken but I seem to recollect from somewhere that  AxeFx has had presets-per-effect-type  for quite a long time now. L6 already nicked one good idea from Fractal: Snapshots. 

Time now they did the same for effect presets too? 

Of course in the world of DAW effects - whether built-in  of effect plugins - it is commonplace for the vendors to provide factory presets to get users going. 

Voted ! 

Sooo, regarding 'On the topic of Fizz'

​What I have observed and this was driving me nuts...I have a few different preamps, Focusrite Saphire, Focusrite Liquid pres and prosonus.

I decided 'hey why dont I try the prosonus pre's (which I usually use for inputs from my keyboards)....damm if what I heard was almost a fizz kind of sound 

(reminded me of using an SM57 in the studio)..Helix just did not sound right. Fizz, harsh, unpleasant. So my real question now is what are you using to record

connect your Helix? Is is better to connect the Helix via spdif rather than use any preamp?

​What I have observed and this was driving me nuts...I have a few different preamps, Focusrite Saphire, Focusrite Liquid pres and prosonus.

I decided 'hey why dont I try the prosonus pre's (which I usually use for inputs from my keyboards)....damm if what I heard was almost a fizz kind of sound 

(reminded me of using an SM57 in the studio)..Helix just did not sound right. Fizz, harsh, unpleasant. So my real question now is what are you using to record

connect your Helix? Is is better to connect the Helix via spdif rather than use any preamp?

I would imagine that the vast majority of people record Helix direct via USB... There's no need to really use a preamp, but even if you are going into a preamp, it shouldn't color the sound from the Helix that much...

Yeah, seems weird to me to use a preamp to connect something that is already at line level, unless that preamp is adding something to the sound, which it sounds like your Presonus is NOT doing good things to the sound.  The output of the Helix is really set up to be record ready and does not need another preamp to get to tape.  So, yes, I'd try S/PDIF if you can, or, if you have any line inputs available, try that as well.  Some people don't like the direct digital sound because EVERYTHING comes through, just like it would if you mic'd up an amp with a perfect mic.  But, as Alex said, that can be handled by an EQ on the recording side.

Nothing on what it will include other than guesses and a remark that an amp that was originally going to be in it didn't make it (but will be in the next release), yet from the comments on that till now, the number of amps increased from 4 to 7, which means there would have been 8 (or who knows how many channels that amp was).

So, all we know is 7 amps and 7 effects, and one of the effects is a tool of some sort or something.

IOW... Nada other than.... some cool stuff and I think the interface will be revamped to match Native.  Given that, the editor might take some backward steps compared to the editor we have now, since native doesn't yet support Snapshots directly?  I could very well be wrong on that, I have no idea.

When?... soon, someday in the near future... probably before next year... Not too long... certainly not on a geologic timescale... before your hair turns grey, unless it's already grey

.  A week or so ago they were about to begin the ascent to final approach.  Last time, when they were on final approach, they were about 2 weeks out.  So... My bet is mid to late October... depending on if some bug is uncovered and it takes longer.

The last I saw was a post from Frank R, Line 6's Sr. Dir of Ops, that what is expected to be new to firmware 2.30 (now aka Helix Core) are 7 new Amps and 7 more FX, as well as the typical enhancements and general improvements, etc. The newly overhauled Helix Edit program is also to be deployed with this release.

Schedule and further details are unknown. Might be later this month. Might roll into October.

I got a sense of that when looking at your '.'-release dates - they started to be about 4 months apart late last year.

:

If I'd have to guess I'd say you're aiming for a 2.3 possibly by or before end of September and a follow on to be ready to demo or release for January 2018

If your past release dates are not just a coincidence and you keep it up, 3.0 would fall into early/mid 2019.

Now I am curious how close I got guessing end of September ...

That said, I am happy waiting however long it takes to get a solid version!

A loudness/RMS/Peak meter as an effect would be a useful tool and would not consume DSP cycles once tone design is done ;-)

I'm hoping we see updated HX reverbs in stereo and monoIf the wahs are also ported directly from the HD library as I have heard said (don't know if that is actually the case) then they should be updated to.  Out with old, in with the new. High time to update anything left over from the old HD codeline to the new HX standard and take full advantage of the improved processors on the Helix. This is actually higher priority to me than new effect models.

I'm hoping we see updated HX reverbs in stereo and monoIf the wahs are also ported directly from the HD library as I have heard said (don't know if that is actually the case) then they should be updated to.  Out with old, in with the new. High time to update anything left over from the old HD codeline to the new HX standard and take full advantage of the improved processors on the Helix. This is actually higher priority to me than new effect models.

On a serious note I agree with this. I want new FX, and new Amps... However, I would like the updating of the FX that need it (like the reverbs) so the updates that come after could be all about the new stuff.  

Regardless of how soon Helix Core 2.3 w/ the new Helix Edit may arrive (followed by subsequent 2.4 or 2.5 releases), Winter NAMM's January 2018 timing might be an ideal event opportunity for Line 6 to announce, debut, or release, Helix Core 3.0. This would be akin to this year's Winter NAMM Helix firmware 2.2 pre-annoucement and Helix Native's pre-announcement.

On a serious note I agree with this. I want new FX, and new Amps... However, I would like the updating of the FX that need it (like the reverbs) so the updates that come after could be all about the new stuff.  

Agree 100%, in no way did I mean to imply that I am not revved about seeing new effects, amp models, features, etc., as well.