Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT / Native cost sucks

skyfirez1

When you convert to Au dollars the cost is outrageously too expensive.

I haven't started Native trial as am waiting for the weekend and am dreading if I 

cannot live without it after 15 days. LOL

Not owning any Helix, I do think LT owners should get a better deal in proportion and so too any

owners already of Line 6 registered gear and software. Loyalty base. Perhaps that is another day after 

recouping the enormity to bring Native to the market.

Any chance of a heads-up if that's about the happen DI? I do plan on getting it, but I don't have an immediate need, or an overabundance of uncommitted cash at the moment, so I'm holding off. If the choice at some point became now or $399, I'd jump on it almost certainly.

I will say this. I do not EVER remember Line 6 taking something like this away. If they said owners of this will get this if they have this for this amount, it has stayed that way. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't remember it happening.

I will say this. I do not EVER remember Line 6 taking something like this away. If they said owners of this will get this if they have this for this amount, it has stayed that way. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't remember it happening.

Yeppers. They are not like a Long John Silvers "Fish and Fries" meal where you used to get 3 pieces of fish and fries. Now you just get one.  :P

Line 6 has discontinued a product line too soon to suit me (Vetta II), but I do not remember them stating a price when announced, and then releasing it with another.

I hesitate to enter into this discussion and I have no dog in this fight. I have a Helix and am quite alright with the $99 price tag. Just wanted to throw this out there. I can understand where Helix LT owners would prefer to see a $200-$250 price tag on Native. We Helix owners essentially got a $100 discount on Native's price for every $500 we spent on the Helix (Helix=$1500; Native discount =$300). If one applied that exact math to the $1000 price on the Helix LT you would expect to see a $200 discount for Native(Helix LT=$1000; Native discount=$200). Similar to many companies however there is an added incentive to buy their top of the line product so $300 to purchase Native for a Helix LT could be considered a fair price given industry practices. I do have to wonder if the price was lowered to the $200-$250 range for Helix LT owners if the increase in the number of sales might not more than make up for the lost revenue on the lower price.

My primary interest is in seeing Native be successful and widely employed. I believe that is in all its users' best interests for the longevity and the amount of resources that can be devoted to its enhancement and future development. Lastly, the success of Native will extend to and be shared by the entire Helix line of products. That means a Native success also rolls down to more development for all the devices in the Helix line. So . .. I am not saying that $300 is not the right price for Helix LT owners but if a lower price for Helix LT users translates to more Native (and Helix LT) units sold, happier Helix LT users, and a much larger user base for Native then it may be worth lowering the price for LT users. That kind of outcome would benefit everyone including Line6. The Native software just came out and prices are not written in stone so hopefully if the $300 price proves not to be ideal for either Line6 or their customers, it can be adjusted. I am sure with this said that Line6 has considered carefully how Native should best be priced, and has reasons for their pricing strategy that may not be obvious to the end user, for instance, the balance of how many of each kind of product they are looking to sell - Helix, Helix LT, Native. Hopefully the quality of Native will leave most users happy regardless of its initial purchase price.

• Upvote 2

Are you saying you missed the mega-thread on The Gear Page? Because it was all over there too. Line 6 have been completely open about this from the moment Native and LT were announced respectively. And you did some research before you spent the money on LT - right? This forum is not exactly hiding - try any search in google about anything technical about Helix and this forum comes out on top. 

I personally might have complained that I bought a Helix Floor 2 months before LT was announced... for less money, or about how Yamaha Europe then dropped the prices a few months later, but actually I have nothing to complain about. I bought something that I thought was good value for me at the time (and spent more than a year justifying) and any subsequent pricing changes is just what happens. It doesn't invalidate my original decision. £120 is still more than double what I have paid for any single item of music software (UK VAT at 20% on top) but once I get back into the UK from this work trip I am going to make sure it works on my PC with the free trial and probably cough up the extra cash 

Ditto.

DI, I am curious..

For those returning LT units for Helix Racks, or floor units to get the promotion for Native.  Does it not mention in the requirements that they have to have the Helix registered to their account for no less than 180 days?!?

So those getting a Helix now, registering it now, will have to wait 6 months before actually qualifying for the deal?  Or was I just too damn sleepy when I was reading that part?!?

EDIT: Perhaps I was tripping, because I can't seem to find that now.

I can understand where Helix LT owners would prefer to see a $200-$250 price tag on Native. 

Yes, and I want a new Corvette for 15k too...  ;)

My primary interest is in seeing Native be successful and widely employed.

Me too, and I see a larger user group being better in the long run for us all (as you do). That said, I can't get a Corvette for 15k, and those that do not have Helix have to pay more for Native. That's the price and if you want it, ya gotta pay for it. Hell, Id have paid extra for a tuner in the editor and I can't even get that!  :lol:

• Upvote 1

There definitely is an upsale factor with how Line 6 has scaled their discount on Native but let's be honest, they can quite easily track their sales demographic in regards to who owns what product and is taking adavantage of the discount. If they find they aren't moving near as many units to the LT crowd as the full Floor they may adjust the discount accordingly.

Too a certain degree, the consumer will dictate the pricing (supply, demand, etc) and there always the chance of "flash sale" discounts (i.e. Black Friday) down the road.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I got my Helix LT @ sweetwater and asked for a discount and got $100 off. Amazing sounds! I saved and saved for it because the alternative pedal board just to get most of the sounds I wanted isn’t even close to the 1000 price tag. Just compare the Native cost to a Strymon alone. Incredible deal!

• Upvote 1

I bought a B-Stock Helix for 1000. 30 day warranty same as new.. works like a dream.

Native costs $99 if I choose to get it.

Total cost

------------

$1,099 plus tax.

Just thought I'd leave that right here..

30 day RETURN policy. 2 to 3 year warranty...depending on where you got it.

Not trying to be offensive. I just honestly can't afford the 299 and I'm just afraid at some point the price will jump and then I'll have save more money to buy something I don't need but want and love

We all have things we don't need but love yet can't afford. That's life! It cost Line 6 money to develop Helix Native. It didn't just magically appear. It took effort. It has costs. What they choose to charge for it is their prerogative. You do not get to impose your sense of entitlement on them or anyone else for that matter. As much as I'd like to be able to purchase a brand new car at a price I can afford, it's never gonna happen. That's life. Deal with it like a sensible adult.

People's sense of entitlement to pay the price they think they get to determine, regardless of how it affects the future viability of the company that MADE that product that they "don't need but love", is offensive.

"You can't always get what you want..." - The Rolling Stones

• Upvote 1

First you say this;

Not interested. Spent 3 hours now with Native and it sounds terrible. Yay for fuzzy math

Then this;

Not trying to be offensive. I just honestly can't afford the 299 and I'm just afraid at some point the price will jump and then I'll have save more money to buy something I don't need but want and love

So which is it?

I'm just writing all of this discussion off to MEP syndrome (Millennial Entitlement Philosophy).  Line 6 wasn't obligated to give any of us discounts on a new product.  The fact is when I needed to buy a send Helix unit I didn't get any discount on the second one....and I didn't expect one either.  I wouldn't have even gotten a discount on a Helix LT even though I owned a full Helix.

But then again, I was born way back in 1952, so I don't feel automatically entitled to anything.

• Upvote 2

Line 6 has discontinued a product line too soon to suit me (Vetta II), but I do not remember them stating a price when announced, and then releasing it with another.

Missed this earlier post.

There actually is a precedent. Helix Rack was announced at $1499 and Helix Control at $499. Months later when they finally shipped, we dropped the prices to $1399 and $399, respectively, as parts and labor for those particular SKUs ended up lower than expected.

Missed this earlier post.

There actually is a precedent. Helix Rack was announced at $1499 and Helix Control at $499. Months later when they finally shipped, we dropped the prices to $1399 and $399, respectively, as parts and labor for those particular SKUs ended up lower than expected.

Thanks for setting me straight. May all the parts from now on follow suit.

This thread has been an interesting read!

My take: I have an LT and was not really aware of Native before I purchased it and never considered it to be an option. I have no real need for the extra functions of the Floor or Rack and to this point the LT suits my requirements perfectly.

At the $150-$200USD mark I could justify the purchase of Native, but given the exchange rate to Aus it's just not a consideration for me because I just can't see me using it enough. This isn't a self-entitled, "I deserve this" thing, this is just the price is too high for my use case. The way I see it is that Line 6 are loosing out on an easy sale as there are others who have seen me with the LT and are looking to get one themselves - bundle it with the LT for a slightly lesser cost and I think what you gain with users outweigh the slightly reduced revenue.

Then again, I'm just one consumer and I'm sure they've done modelling to prove me wrong. 

Picked up Native for 209.00 on Sweetwater today. The free demo from line 6 sounded good and will give the full version a run through in the following week, months, year. LT owner and the price was there. In the studio I suspect I'll use it more than the hardware. Maybe.

Just a reminder that you can pick up Helix Native at a 30% discount right now as part of the extended Black Friday sale. The discount applies in addition to whatever discount you would get if you already own a Helix device (Floor, Rack, LT). Sale is running until December 3rd. If you have been holding off this seems like a good time to go for it. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 5:45 AM, jrrjr68 said:

I bought a B-Stock Helix for 1000.  30 day return policy-same as new.. works like a dream.
Native costs $99 if I choose to get it. 
Total cost 
------------

$1,099 plus tax. 

Just thought I'd leave that right here.. 

I paid £999 for my brand new Helix Floor yesterday! Registered this morning and got Helix Native for $69.99 (there is a $30 off coupon on Line 6 page for software that runs til July 31). With tax added that meant $83.99. In English that is £64.64. So I have a brand new Helix Floor, Helix Native full for £1,063.64 GBP. I'm very happy :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victor_NG17 said:

I paid £999 for my brand new Helix Floor yesterday! Registered this morning and got Helix Native for $69.99 (there is a $30 off coupon on Line 6 page for software that runs til July 31). With tax added that meant $83.99. In English that is £64.64. So I have a brand new Helix Floor, Helix Native full for £1,063.64 GBP. I'm very happy :)

Nice Grab!

Helix Native is fantastic, I use it when I ReAmp, and my Helix Rack for dry recording & wet monitoring. I am so happy Line 6 decided to release Helix in plugin format.  That is one of the reasons why I still won't go Fractal even though I read that the Axe FX III is a fantastic piece of hardware.  They don't have a plugin for the Axe FX family available, and for the price they ask, they really should have that cross-over capability.

Having a plugin expansion from the hardware is such a convenient thing for me.  I got mine for the $99 when it first released. I think I got it at a great price as well, even though I think it is worth much more than that.

• Like 2