Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native internet dependency

klangmaler

When my computer is offline (WLAN stick disconnected), Native complains ( ' not initialized ').

But:

Helix Native Plugin is authorized.

Computer is authorized.

I can replicate this :

Computer online: Everything's fine

('You have a valid Helix Native license that does not expire')

Computer offline: Message in orange letters ' Failed to connect to DSP engine

(Unknown communication error

'

Native FAQs http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/recording/helix-native/helix-native-faq-r866:

Minimum Hardware Requirements
· Dual-Core 2.0GHz processor or faster
· 4GB of RAM
· 100MB of free disk space
· Internet connection required for license authorization (and for trial version)

Seems, as if Helix Native really has to be connected constantly to the internet (copy protection).

I'm running into the same issue.  I have to sign in to my Line6 account via Helix Native every time I open the plug in (or just stay signed in), or it only shows a trial license.  Even if I stay signed in, when the plugin comes up, it shows the trial license at the to bottom right, and only corrects to showing authorized when I click the trial license statement.  That has to be corrected.  My studio machines only connect to the Internet for updates.  I don't have them connected constantly.  I don't want to have to "re-authorize" every time I open the plugin.

Seems, as if Helix Native really has to be connected constantly to the internet (copy protection).

This is a real pain!

Whenever I quit from Logic and Helix Native is running as a fully authorised version - 'You have a valid Helix Native license that does not expire', I would expect to be able to use it without any hassle next time I spark up Logic

But no - it seems that Native will have reverted back to the demo version - "15 days remaining in trial" and it will stay like that until I click on the logo and bring up the License Box which then re-establishes contact with my Line 6 Account to Authorise my computer once more. WTF!

The way I understood it was, once the plug-in was authorised that was it!

If this thing has to phone home every time you use it there are going to some really pi$$ed off Helix Native users out there - starting with me!

Please tell me that a fix for this is being worked on even NOW!

Signin or authorizing is not the problem (here)...

I don't have to sign in again. Online = Native works.

But Helix Native needs that active internet connection,

without it (computer offline) it doesn't work (connection failed).

Guess that's kind of an 'internet dongle' (copy protection).

I have just checked what happens with Helix Native if you don't have an internet connection.

You get a message which states:

Sign in is required to manage your Native license.

So that seems to indicate that it has been designed into the functioning of the software.

This is not what I expected, because this is the information posted in the Line 6 Knowledge Base, regarding Helix Native FAQ's

Q: Will Helix Native work with iLok?

There is no licensing available through iLok. It is authorized on first run of the plugin. Just log in with your Line 6 username and password and click "authorize computer".

(my highlight in red).

There is absolutely no mention of the fact that the plug-in will want to phone home every time you use it.

Just imagine someone wants to do some "field recording" out in the sticks and would like to use Native. Well if you're 99 miles from nowhere, with no internet connection, it ain't gonna happen. Nada, zip, zilch, zero nuthin. You are gonna be shackled to an internet authorisation!

Tell me it ain't true!

I just tested this again, only difference being that yesterday I had run Native in Live, then closed Live, disconnected, then re-ran Live with Native, worked fine.

Today, I hadn't run Native, but I had rebooted. I disconnected, THEN ran Live with Native and got the Login message (after Live crashed on the first attempt).

I logged in and Authorized the computer (again), and got the OK screen, Native ran fine.

I closed Live, disconnected, then re-opened Live with Native. All is good again.

I then closed Live, opened a new project in Sonar, and inserted Native. All is good.

I then rebooted. BOTH DAWs ran Native again, even without the connection, and even after rebooting.

So, it seems that you are correct, the demo version requires a connection, but if you open Native and authorize, you can disconnect and it'll still work, at least for a while?

I dunno, temporary cookie with an expiration date/time?

I'm about to drop coin on the license, so we'll see tomorrow if there's a problem there. 

Signin or authorizing is not the problem (here)...

I don't have to sign in again. Online = Native works.

But Helix Native needs that active internet connection,

without it (computer offline) it doesn't work (connection failed).

Guess that's kind of an 'internet dongle' (copy protection).

Just for clarification, you own the full license? 

Is so this is not the expected behavior.

I have a full license and my iMac Retina 27" (running Sierra) is authorised, but each and every time I open Native in Logic Pro X (latest edition) it has to connect to Line 6 to verify my account. If I don't link back to my account, Native functions as a demo version the green 15 day info showing in the bottom right of the main window.

This is very annoying for me as my internet connection is really flakey and extremely slow. Also, see my previous post #10, above. Even at the best of times my broadband link is up and down like bride's nightgown.

Right. THIS IS NOT THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR.

I don't talk about signing in / off (or computer authorizing).

Native needs an (active) internet connection.

See what happens if you physically disconnect it (or disable network adapters)...

I wonder if after the trial expires if the behavior will be the same.

That's what I was thinking/hoping too.

Although, from the item above which I marked in red, it seems that only the computer is authorised - it makes no mention of the serial number keeping the software unlocked for regular use.

If this thing insists on "phoning home" every time it's opened it will be of very little use to me. I feel like I have just wasted my money on this one!

Right. THIS IS NOT THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR.

I don't talk about signing in / off (or computer authorizing).

Native needs an (active) internet connection.

See what happens if you physically disconnect it (or disable network adapters)...

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying, to the best of my knowledge, is Helix Native (full license) does not require an internet connection after the initial authorization, it should be a one and done deal. If I physically disconnect, I can still run Helix Native, but it shows days remaining of a trial license. That is what made me think the trial version may be mucking things up.

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying, to the best of my knowledge, is Helix Native (full license) does not require an internet connection after the initial authorization, it should be a one and done deal. If I physically disconnect, I can still run Helix Native, but it shows days remaining of a trial license. That is what made me think the trial version may be mucking things up.

I bought & authorized Helix Native. Seems not important to be signed in.

Native needs internet.

What I am saying, to the best of my knowledge, is Helix Native (full license) does not require an internet connection after the initial authorization, it should be a one and done deal.

Triryche,

What you say is absolutely correct, according to the information printed on pages 5 & 6 of the Pilot's Guide. Suppose we just have to hope this is a glitch. As I stated in a previous post, when I first purchased Native, my account showed both a demo version and the full version. I guess I will have to wait for the demo period to expire before chasing this any further.

Yeah, I read manual several times, however, it does not explicitly state that an internet connection is not required.

Also on page 3 and from the KB under

Minimum Hardware Requirement

• Internet connection required for license authorization (and for trial version).
Some may interpret this as authorizing each time you open Helix Native.

But that's all semantics.  ;)

[...]
• Internet connection required for license authorization (and for trial version).
Some may interpret this as authorizing each time you open Helix Native.

But that's all semantics.  ;)

No.

The sentence is too long.

It should be: 'Internet connection required' (full stop).

Excuse and information:

This is for the paid, fully licensed and activated version of Helix Native:

After checking out each and every alternative here, I have to declare that

Helix Native needs no (permanent) connection (to the internet)

BUT

it needs an active network adapter (LAN module, card, WLAN-stick, [...]

If that deactivated, Helix Native won't work.

Obviously, the computer activation is dependent / related to an adapter (or card [...]).

Sorry if I caused any inconvenience.

So it was exactly what I posted above then...

You can unplug the cable, and it should be fine.

Helix Native isn't the only plugin that does this.

Sorry, I have to be precisely.

If I unplug the cable (WLan-Stick), adapter is deactivated => Helix Native quits...

Interesting, on my other unnamed plugin, when I deactivated the LAN adapter in my machine I got errors. When I am offline due to outtage, I get no error. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, I get no error. Only when I deactivate the LAN adapter by way of toggling in device manager is when I get the error.

I am unable to test this with Helix Native atm.

Your adapter plugs in to your rig? Not just an Ethernet cable? If your on a desktop then a PCI Network interface card might be the way to go, and they are super cheap, and pretty simple to install... Provided you have the extra slots open on your motherboard.

(...and If you deactivate that PCI interface, for example, then Helix quits :mellow: )

As I mentioned above, Helix Native needs a (specific) active network adapter.

Obviously, the computer activation is dependent / related to that  adapter.

That's why I marked this thread as solved: We have an 'adapter dependency' ;)

• 5 months later...

I tried the demo version of Helix Native and I love it. However, I have to run my notebook in Flight-Mode when I work with cubase because Wifi disturbs the USB connection with the audio interface. The demo-version of Helix Native stops to work in Flight-Mode all of a sudden because it cannot validate the lincense. Is the "real" Helix Native version working in flight mode without stopping all of a sudden?