Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x DT25 presense knob goes crazy

PaulTBaker

Has anyone else had any problem with the presence on the HD "jumping" by itself.  I noticed sometimes when using the HD500x hooked to the DT25 with the link cable (can't remember what it's called) that the HD display would change to the amp screen by itself.  I finally realize the presence control shoots up to a different setting.  This is without me changing anything or stomping on any buttons.  This only happens when connected to th eDT25.... 

When this happens, I will twist the presense knob on the amp and the HD... this normally settles things down for awhile.

Anybody else had this happen?

Thanks

Had this happen with different knobs from time to time. Last time it was the Mid knob. Yea I usually take it back and forth all the way a couple of times quickly and then switch patches on the HD500x to reset the setting back to the patch. Doesn't happen for me often.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned the XLR mic cable versus AES/EBU lesson early too.

An XLR works - mostly - but it can wreak havoc occasionally.

In my case, I had the HD500X footswitch mode set to "5-8" so that I could turn 8 effects off and on. Well, lemme tell ya - the DT50 didn't like that at all. I thought my 500X was messed up (or my amp). I swapped out to my 500 and it did the same thing. Swapped out one XLR for another - same same. The screen would go screwy, the knobs setting were jumping all over. The unit locked up. So, I went to the forums and got schooled up on the AES/EBU cable. Looks exactly the same as a standard XLR 3-pin mic cable, but it's made for digital send/return signals. I bought one and it immediately fixed all of my woes. Doh!

My Lesson Learned: the manual actually recommended an AES/EBU cable, but Line 6 stuff is so intuitive that I hardly ever read them. Now, when I get new gear, I spent a little more time looking at the connections/knobs/jacks/switches panel illustrations.

Sounds as though you may have other issues. but using the AES/EBU cable was the trick for my situation.

• 3 months later...

Just to update... I put new EH EL84s and a new EH  12ax7 in the amp and so far, the problem with the presence (or any knob) jumping went away.

Can't see how changing the tubes would fix it.

Could it be a dirty(or bad) potentiometer on either the DT25 or POD 500x? If you have these set extremely different and the dirty one cuts in, thus changing your settings as it seeing a different value. Remember you can change both pots on each side, DT25 or POD 500x. This might be your problem. 

Jd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This situation happens to me with both kind of cables: xlr and AES/EBU. It’s not happened always, but last night in the middle of a rehearsal it started and didn’t stop. That’s lollipop me off

, so I decided to turned off Pod and just use the DT25. 

• 2 months later...