Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just found a Variax 600 and have some questions

Found a 600 in mint condition that I couldn't pass up. It came with case, manual, tremolo arm and guitar.

My questions are. . . .

1) I will be using it with an G50 wireless & Axe Fx direct to FOH and can create a preset for the acoutstic to have no amp and cabinet. Do I have an need at all for the XPS foot switch? No need to power the guitar and separate the signal for the acoustic. Not using an amp.

2) Can I plug an ethernet cable from the guitar to an ethernet jack on my thunderbolt dock for use with the Workbench application? (Looks like I'll need the $100 kit from Sweetwater!!)

3). Is this guitar as good as I think it is right now? I like the physical playability, neck & action and it sounded pretty good with the presets I have currently. I would like to gig with it in a few weeks.

4). Any tips on setting the tremolo up? Should i approach it similar to my Strat? Are they pretty stable in tuning or should I make it a hard tail? Should it swing freely as it is now? I kinda heard it through the piezo when it moved.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Paul

Found a 600 in mint condition that I couldn't pass up. It came with case, manual, tremolo arm and guitar.

My questions are. . . .

1) I will be using it with an G50 wireless & Axe Fx direct to FOH and can create a preset for the acoutstic to have no amp and cabinet. Do I have an need at all for the XPS foot switch? No need to power the guitar and separate the signal for the acoustic. Not using an amp.

You will need to power the guitar, it will not work without the correct power.......You can use the onboard battery pack, the XPS, or something like a Pod XT Live, X3 Live or HD 500 etc via a proper Line 6 VDI cable.

2) Can I plug an ethernet cable from the guitar to an ethernet jack on my thunderbolt dock for use with the Workbench application? (Looks like I'll need the $100 kit from Sweetwater!!)

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think so. Be very careful, only use a Line 6 specific cable do avoid damage. There are plenty of people who'll tell you that a normal ethernet cable is ok but its really not. Again, what you're suggesting would not power the guitar. As regards the $100 for workbench, why not buy yourself a used XTL or X3 Live and then you get the workbench for FREE.

3). Is this guitar as good as I think it is right now? I like the physical playability, neck & action and it sounded pretty good with the presets I have currently. I would like to gig with it in a few weeks.

Go for it you wont be disappointed, don't wait just jump in

4). Any tips on setting the tremolo up? Should i approach it similar to my Strat? Are they pretty stable in tuning or should I make it a hard tail? Should it swing freely as it is now? I kinda heard it through the piezo when it moved.

Two things about this......1/ Buy some extra trem springs and fit them, mine now has 5 and it NEVER goes out of tune (as long as you put your strings on and stretch them, also dive bomb the trem many times until it comes back up and stays in tune. 2/ Is it the grub screw type? (I think it is) Its a fine balance getting this right. You have to set the screw tight enough to hold the trem firmly but loose enough to get it in and out every time. A little tip I was told (and it seems to work) is to firstly get the thing how you like it then remove the grub screw ....Superglue it and then put it back in and set it where you want it again..... works for me

Cheers Mark

So I had to drag out an old All-In-One PC (Non-HD guitar + macOS Sierrra not supported) I had stored to be able to use workbench with my old Variax 600 but it was worth it. Was able to make small to saignificant changes to a bunch of the models. The ease in which you can create custom turnings was great. Gig ready!!

Next week, the trem set up