Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal routing/chain

BigJayBrian

Hi guys. I’m seriously thinking about buying a helix lt. I’m leaning towards the helix rather than the ax8 mostly because I like the dual amp possibility (the price of the ax8 in europe also made me choke). But I still have a few concerns

Mostly, I need a very specific signal routing and I’m not sure the helix can achieve it. Right now I’m using a gt 100 in 4CM with an amp, a pog into a bass amp and a digitech stereo looper. I want to go full digital on the guitar part of the signal. The signal would be as follow :

1. Dual amp signal without cab sim => L ¼ jack out (into my poweramp+Gcab)

2. unaltered clean signal => R /14 jack out (into my pog>bass amp). I have to be able to mute/unmute that signal by the press of a switch.

3. Dual amp signal (same as 1.) with cab sim on => L xlr out (to PA)

4. Dual amp signal (same as 1.) with cab sim on => headphone out (to IEM) / I don’t want the signal 2. (clean) in the headphone output.

The looper will be in the effect loop, that has to be after the cab sim section (L effect out containing signal 1/3/4 and R effect out containing signal 2).

This seemed easy to achieve on the helix lt, until I discovered that having two amps on one path could "overload" the DSP chip. Now, I’m not sure anymore if the helix can handle this signal routing. What do you think ?

Also I aw a few times that the new software improved the high gain sounds a lot and that the digital artifacts that you could sometimes hear are mostly gone, is it true for all high gain amps ? Problem with most helix videos is that they are either on the old software or a full mix with post-eq, where you can’t tell the quality of the sound either way. I’ll try the helix in a shop before buying it, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to tell in 30min what sound I can really get out of it.

Just reading through your needs, I don't see anything out of the capabilities of Helix. You may not be able to put two amps in one signal path, but Helix has 4 signal paths, 2 on each processor. So, two amps is no big deal at all.