Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

installing helix native as VST 2 plugin

markdeso

Hello,

I do not see any way to install Helix Native on the mac as a VST 2 plug in.  The options as I go through the installation only give me the ability to change the location.  I'm trying to use it with Reason 9.5 and the DAW does not support VST 3 plugins.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I actually found a simple fix. I copied the Line 6 folder into /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST/ and renamed the file from Helix Native.vst3 to Helix Native.vst. So far it seems to be working flawlessly. 

Couple of observations:
If you don't rename the file to .vst from .vst3 then you can open up the plug in but it quickly disappears. 
I've tested, applying the Helix Native plugin fix as follows:

• Created a guitar track with the helix plugin in ../VST/Helix Native.vst and it works
  • Removed the directory so that the plugin still sits in it's original installation directory where the vst 3 plugins reside and it fails
  • Recopy the directory back in the regular vst folder but don't rename the file back to .vst and it fails
  • renamed the file back to .vst and it works

Is this a common fix to the problem with vst 3 vs vst 2.4 plugins? This seems like it shouldn't work yet it does. 

When your installing Native when you get to the screen where it's asking you the install location (right after you accept the terms of use), in the bottom left is a button that says customize. When you click on that it'll let you pick which versions of the plugin you would like to install.

• 1 year later...

Switched  between PC and MAC with helix on Ableton (no VST3 support)... This works with 1.60. With 1.70 of helix this doesn't work anymore (because there seems to be no VST2 in helix 1.70, am I right?) . I'm curious, if your trick will do the job...

Really? I have not upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7 yet but maual states: "Mac Computers: • Mac OS X 10.10 and 10.11, and macOS 10.12 and 10.13 • 64-bit AAX Native, Audio Units (AU), VST® (VST2 or VST3) host DAW software • Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz Windows Computers: • Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 (64-bit versions only) • 64-bit AAX Native, VST (VST2 or VST3) host DAW software • Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz"
I could not make Ableton see 1.5 version (no trick worked for me) but 1.6 contains both VST2 and VST3 and works good.