Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Easisest way to Demo Native?(for a dummie)

Old-Rocker

I've been on the forum before with HD500X(twice),but failed with it. :( 

I want to try the Helix Native demo,but I have NO experience with recording software,is there a way of getting Native working as a sort of stand alone editor(like HD edit,with learning a DAW?.

I've read something on another forum about a software app. that may let me do that,but thought i'd ask the question here.

I did not try any yet, but there are some standalone VST hosts that some users are having success with. But getting one of those up and running may be more of a hassle than downloading a demo of Reaper.

Do you still have your HD? 

Post back if you want to give Reaper a shot, it's not too painful to get an instance of Helix Native up and running in Reaper. 

You simply download savihost and copy the vst or dll of native to the same folder, rename savihost.exe to Helix Native (x64).exe and launch from the renamed program. Then choose devices at the top and, wave, and point the output to whatever asio drivers your soundcard/interface Are. If you need drivers asio4all are apparently very useable.

I've been on the forum before with HD500X(twice),but failed with it. :(

I want to try the Helix Native demo,but I have NO experience with recording software,is there a way of getting Native working as a sort of stand alone editor(like HD edit,with learning a DAW?.

I've read something on another forum about a software app. that may let me do that,but thought i'd ask the question here.

What platform are you on? If it is a Mac, I would recommend Mainstage. It is an excellent and easy to use plugin host. Not too expensive at all.

Thanks for the replies & sorry for the late response,instead of asking more questions,i decided to download Reaper 64 & a Free Amp plug + an i.r. loader & a Cab i.r..

I also bought a used PS Audio Box as my Guitar interface.

I went this route to see if I could get it all working,before downloading the Native trial,i wanted to spend the inevitable days of trial & error with the Free amp sims(etc),so that I could possibly get the maximum use out of the Native software.

Well I finally got my Guitar playing back through the Sims,but it's all a bit hit & miss & cluncky,because really I have no idea what i'm doing.

I now want try the same thing with "Savihost"?,to see if I can get that working,i really don't need all the stuff in Reaper & seems like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut,but I have no idea if Savihost will be any easier :( 

Is there an official site to download Savihost?,I can only find 3rd party downloaders & i'm twitchy about 3rd party stuff.

I should point out i'm only trying the Native software with a view to buying a Helix LT,but having failed miserably with 4 previous modellers,it seems like a good idea to go this route.

To Triryche,no I no longer have the 500X(I have tried 2 & a DT25,with no useable gigging results.

thanks,twpmeister.i've checked out the link,i've read on the site that only 1 vst can be loaded with Savihost,does that mean if I download it to my amp sim,i can't include the cab impulse,which is a separate  .dll,or am I misunderstanding this.?

Savihost is indeed simply a host to run a single plugin - which is a nice easy way to trial Native. If you actually need a DAW to record multiple tracks and use additional plugins then no it is not what you are looking for. Your original query suggested the most straightforward way of hearing Native was what you wanted, which Savihost would be perfect for.

Edit. I've just re-read your original post 'is there a way of getting Native working as a sort of stand alone editorand Savihost is exactly what you asked for, but now you seem to want something to load several plugins????

thanks,twpmeister.i've checked out the link,i've read on the site that only 1 vst can be loaded with Savihost,does that mean if I download it to my amp sim,i can't include the cab impulse,which is a separate  .dll,or am I misunderstanding this.?

You can use cab IRs directly in Native no need for more plugins

Savihost is indeed simply a host to run a single plugin - which is a nice easy way to trial Native. If you actually need a DAW to record multiple tracks and use additional plugins then no it is not what you are looking for. Your original query suggested the most straightforward way of hearing Native was what you wanted, which Savihost would be perfect for.

Edit. I've just re-read your original post 'is there a way of getting Native working as a sort of stand alone editorand Savihost is exactly what you asked for, but now you seem to want something to load several plugins???

Yes you are correct,but as I said in my second post I now have Reaper running,but I just don't need all the stuff with it,so I thought try Savihost & it was only once I followed your link I realised I couldn't use the Cab loader with the Amp plug in(LePou),i should say that my next step is try LePou through 3 types of playback systems,to get a feel for the sound & what to expect,before downloading Native.

I have no idea how necessary the Cab loader is to give me a benchmark for Native,hence my question,about not being able to load it.

i do appreciate the help & info & i'm not trying to change the goal posts,i'm just reacting to stuff as I go along :) 

• 1 month later...

My favourite VST host is IL Minihost Modular by Imageline (people that make FLStudio) It is a beta WIP though.

It's fantastic, low latency, low resources, easy to use. Has a modular visual flow type diagram for linking VST's and Midi and works great on PC and Mac.

http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?tag=minihost+modular

One of the best things is that you can save a graph at any time in Minihost modular and all the settings you currently have within your VST. In this case Helix native are stored with the graph. So you can save Helix presets outside of Helix native. Just load up minihost modular and in the file menu you can load a graph, or pick a recently used one from a drop down list or recently used ones. Works great. 

Here's a couple of quick screen grabs of it in Windows.

This screen shows the Flow Graph view with the Helix native in the signal chain and Helix native plugin opened in it's own window. This is the default view. You can hook up external IR loaders or any other VST's in your graph before or after Helix native. So you have a lot of flexibility and it's very intuitive to use. The Yellow spline in the graph is your audio while the greenish/cyan is your midi control.

MinihostNativea.jpg

Right click menu shows an option to view the plugin only which puts Native in a single window like below.

MinihostNativeb.jpg

Despite being beta software, I highly recommend it if you want a really good VST host. Especially good for live playing setup.

• 2 years later...