Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I Use An Electro Harmonix Expression Pedal With Any Of The Hd 500's Inputs?

Brazzy

The EHX Expression Pedal Output is as follows according their instructions. Is there anything I'm missing? It seems as though this device will not work directly with the HD 500.

Part of the instructions: The link to the full page is here.

OUTPUT Jack: TRS = EXP, TS = CV

The type of cable inserted into the OUTPUT jack determines the output state of the EXPRESSION pedal. When a TRS cable (the cable supplied with the EHX EXPRESSION pedal) is plugged into the OUTPUT jack, the pedal works as a standard expression pedal with the following connections: TIP = potentiometer wiper or output signal, RING = Toe position and SLEEVE = Heel position. This is the standard polarity for the TRS plug of an expression pedal that many in the industry follow including all EHX products as well as Boss®/Roland®, Moog®, Nord® etc. The REVERSE button does not change the TRS plug polarity, it only changes the direction of the output sweep.

If you plug a standard †instrument cable, with mono TS plug, into the EXPRESSION pedal’s OUTPUT jack, the EXPRESSION pedal output will automatically change over to Control-Voltage (CV) mode. In CV mode you can use the EXPRESSION pedal as a CV source. The maximum range in CV mode is 0V to 5V. Adjusting the RANGE control will move the minimum voltage from 0V up to approximately 4.5V, the maximum voltage of 5V does not change.

The HD 500 Quick start says:

"15. Pedal 2 - Connect a standard expression pedal,such asthe Line 6 EX-1, and you'll be able to assign it to control the Volume, Wah or effects parameter functions."

I use a Roland EV-5 which has TRS jack on a fixed lead, the EHX says that with a TRS cable it works as an expression pedal compatible with Roland, so all you need to do is plug the provided cable into the EHX and the HD 500 Pedal 2 input and it will work.

If I'm missing something, chime in please.

Ok, I tried the Electro Harmonix Expression Pedal with the TRS cable into the HD 500 "Pedal 2" input. The only response I got was the screen would change from the "signal flow" screen to the "Amp deep edit " screen, and the pedal 2 light would go on and off respectively. Other than that nothing happened. Nothing was damaged.

The only reason I tried this was out of curiosity. I think the HD 500 looks for a different kind of signal. The EX-1 Pedal from Line 6 has a potentiometer in it, it's a very simple device and it works good. Electro Harmonix Expression Pedal works good also just in a different application.

The pedal 2 light coming on indicates that it is active. Don't know about the screen changing - did you knock a knob?

What did you expect to happen? Expression 2 by default doesn't do anything - have you assigned it to control something? I use it as a master volume so I have a volume last in the chain with Exp 2 set to control volume

The pedal 2 light coming on indicates that it is active. Don't know about the screen changing - did you knock a knob?

What did you expect to happen? Expression 2 by default doesn't do anything - have you assigned it to control something? I use it as a master volume so I have a volume last in the chain with Exp 2 set to control volume

Honestly I didn't know what to expect, but I did forget to assign the pedal to a function, LOL. I guess when I saw the screen changing and light flashing when the pedal was moved I didn't like that and just unplugged it and went to playing instead of fooling around with it. I'm going to try it  again later, thanks for all your help with this Rewolf48. I'll let you know what happens.

The EHX pedal won't work with Line 6 devices. Line 6 uses a different sort of configuration for their expression pedals - that's why you only need a TS cable to connect the EX-1 to the HD500.  In pedals that use TRS cables to connect to expression pedals, the value of the potentiometer isn't important. For Line 6 products it's critical. I know the EHX pedal isn't using an actual pot, but it still work by varying the impedance between the tip and ring channels of the cable.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Phil,

You've answered my question, time for me to move on to something else, LOL. I use the EHX Expression Pedal with the EHX Tube EQ and it works great for that. I was curious to see if I could use it for other applications, but now that curiosity is satisfied.

Odd - the Roland EV-5 is TRS and works fine giving full range on the HD... as long as the range knob is set to maximum so that the Heel value = 0.

Glad phil was able to help even if it was to confirm that it doesn't work.

One thing I've learned about sound equipment and music is I'm never done learning. So I always keep an open mind so as not to impede the learning process which is priceless, which brings me to thank everyone who participates in Line 6 forums.