Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Option to control 3 Note Generator block via MIDI note?

tedulrich

I'm pretty sure there's currently not a way to do this, but is anyone aware of a way to trigger specific notes in the 3 Note Generator via MIDI note on/off messages from an external controller such as a sequencer or keyboard controller?  I know Helix can transmit note on messages via footswitch assignments, but can it receive and interpret/apply them?  If not, is that a feature that could be implemented in a future firmware release? 

• Upvote 1

You can assign any/all of the parameters in the 3 Note Gen to be controlled by MIDI CCs. Assign Osc 1 Note to be controlled by MIDI CC 50 (or whatever makes sense to you). Then sends a CC 50 with a value corresponding to the note you want. As CC values to from 0-127 and the Helix shows it as A, B, C, etc, you might need to experiment a bit to find out which CC values correspond to what the Helix expects, but that should be relatively easy to figure out.

A bit more complex than just hooking up a keyboard controller but should be pretty achievable if your controller can be programmed.

I'd currently be running it from the MIDI repeater out on a Korg Minilogue, so that wouldn't work.  It would be nice to use the Minilogue's sequencer, or that of the System-8 that I'm kicking around buying.

I do have a CV sequencer that will modulate any parameter on the Helix (it functions as EXP3), which I've made work that way, and yes it takes some tweaking.  Problem is it only outputs single values as a limitation of its design.  It would work, as long as I only need one octave.  I was hoping for something a little more in depth than that.  I didn't think it was currently possible, but if there's enough user interest I may throw it on IdeaScale to see if the development team has any desire to take it on for a future firmware update.