Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bad Choice For Pro's

I'm a 61 year-old gigging pro.  I am required to go from AC-DC to Brad Paisley to Sinatra on the fly in a wireless format.  So I was excited by what this guitar offered.  

I recently ordered my Jtv 69 thru my local Guitar Center because they had none in stock.  They were kind enough to refund my money. 

I rate it Zero.  How can you rate guitars that don't work out of the box??  

Jtv 69  #1 - Model selector switch worked intermittently and occasionally flickered on and off.  

Unattractive knot in the sunburst looked like a flaw.

Provided allen wrench fit poorly in whammy bar nut.

Jtv 69  #2 - Guitar made loud digital noise when plugged in.  Totally unusable.  

5 minute dents in finish near near tone control.  

Unattractive seam running thru sunburst with half a knot on one side and none on the other.  A Squire offers better quality control.

After reading the volume and varity of problems this guitar apparently has, I can't imagine how any serious working musician could use such an unreliable, tempermental tool.

Since the sounds it offers seem to be the best available, I'm pissed at the poor quality.         

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In my experience, GC & MF both have a nasty habit of shipping returns and restocks.  I do not disagree about some of the QC issues that Line 6 has had as well.  I would either purchase one at a store where you can inspect the build first, or purchase from a retailer, such as Sweetwater, that will inspect the guitar before it's shipped if you ask.

I recently ordered my Jtv 69 thru my local Guitar Center because they had none in stock.

Big mistake IMHO

In my experience, GC & MF both have a nasty habit of shipping returns and restocks.

EXACTLY!

I bought my JTV-59 at the local GC. Maybe I should have bought from Sweetwater because of their customer service & attention to guitar set-ups & adjustments (not to mention their "Scratch & Dent" sale which would have saved me a few bucks), but the GC near me had 3 JTV's (2 59's and 1 69), and I tried out & inspected the very guitar I walked out with.

I'm not sure that I trust GC to do a great job of setting up instruments, but in this case, the one that I bought was very well set up & played and intonated very well, right off the wall. Whoever set this one up did a pretty good job. I have played plenty of guitars at GC where the set up was either done poorly, or maybe not done at all, & just hung on the wall right out of the box.

I'm sorry you ran into so many problems with yours. There is a lot of complicated electronics in these guitars & there have been a number of issues being reported with faulty model & tuning switches. Maybe you did get a returned guitar without it being documented.

If you get one that is properly set up & without switch problems, I think you would really like it. Maybe you should order from Sweetwater.

In my experience, GC & MF both have a nasty habit of shipping returns and restocks.  I do not disagree about some of the QC issues that Line 6 has had as well.  I would either purchase one at a store where you can inspect the build first, or purchase from a retailer, such as Sweetwater, that will inspect the guitar before it's shipped if you ask.

I get that some people get mad at GC for shipping out product returned before 30 day trial is over. I get people that take advantage of the 30 day trial to try stuff they can't try locally. I don't understand when the same person does both, lol.

Sorry for your bad luck. I just picked up my fourth JTV!  I love 'em.  I did have to adjust the depth of the pots on one to get it to work right, and the ball of paper in the knob trick on another.  But otherwise, they've been good.

Fourth? You are catching up to me! I have 4 xplants done, a 5th being worked on now, and a stock 69 that will be xplanted at some point.

I have been asked multiple times on multiple forums, why I would have so many guitars that basically can get the same sounds. So can I ask you the same question? Do you still have all 4 and why do you have 4 if they sound basically the same?

Fourth? You are catching up to me! I have 4 xplants done, a 5th being worked on now, and a stock 69 that will be xplanted at some point.

I have been asked multiple times on multiple forums, why I would have so many guitars that basically can get the same sounds. So can I ask you the same question? Do you still have all 4 and why do you have 4 if they sound basically the same?

It's a sickness!  I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.  With these Sweetwater scratch n' dent specials, yesterday I had to talk myself off the ledge from buying another one!

I'm working on my first transplant.  A beautiful flamed koa Strat with a Wilk/Ghost trem.  

I have a '89 that is a light 6.18 pounds, so that one I will keep as is.

I figure I'll be doing another transplant after this one.

I wish I had a good answer for your question.  Unless you buy one at a rock bottom low price, you'll lose money reselling when something better comes along in how many years?  So not a good investment, as compared to putting the money towards an old Gibson, which just keeps gaining value.  Most any decent guitar will maintain or gain value as the years go by.  Probably not these...

So not a rational decision.

And if I'm playing a gig where it's just bluesy soloing, I'll grab one of my Strats that tonewise is in a different league than the Variax.  (nothing against the Variax, I've owned over 40 Strats, endlessly swapped pickups and necks to get to that level.)

I have a large collection.  Vintage, modern, I've got a bit of most everything.  The real deal.  But the JTVs get played lots and lots and lots.  One is in the stand next to me.

Just such a treat to go from acoustic to 12 string to Spank to Lester...DADGAD to drop C, at the twist of a knob.  Just fun.

In one group I play with, I have an octave down on the HD500 that covers some bass parts when we need it.  I have a EVH ultra brown patch that uses the tone knob as a whammy...blows everybody away when they see that on a hardtail!

I guess I don't know why I like these sooo much.

Maybe you could tell me?  :)

Let me ask you, have you ever sold any of the remnant Line 6 guitars after you used their parts for the transplant? 

scottgmusic - I can certainly understand why you'd feel that way when you got 2 defective guitars.  There is a LOT that can go wrong with guitars such as the JTV series where there is so much circuitry and hardware built into the guitar, and software which can be glitchy just because it is programmed by humans.  I've been gigging consistently for 42 years, played many guitars, and I love the versatility of my JTV59.  If you're willing to try again, definitely buy a JTV with a full-refund policy so if you get another defective one, you can return it.  For every person on this forum who gets a defective one, I would bet there are 10 who don't.  Forums always are populated by people with problems (and questions).  Wishing you better luck in the future.

I'm a 61 year-old gigging pro.  I am required to go from AC-DC to Brad Paisley to Sinatra on the fly in a wireless format.  So I was excited by what this guitar offered.  

I recently ordered my Jtv 69 thru my local Guitar Center because they had none in stock.  They were kind enough to refund my money. 

I rate it Zero.  How can you rate guitars that don't work out of the box?? 

Since the sounds it offers seem to be the best available, I'm pissed at the poor quality.         

I got lucky. I've had my JTV 89F about a week and change. It was backordered substantially, and I'm told that it was one of a new batch that arrived at the distribution center directly from Line6 (Guitar Center Lies, so maybe that was true, maybe not). In any event, mine arrived in the original boxes with what looked like the original tape (inside) and all the important bits were still as originally packaged with all hang tags in place. So maybe it was actually new!

In any case, it arrived in tune with a great setup (low action, no buzzing frets), no dings, no squawks, clean/well-done woods, etc. I was actually very impressed with the whole thing, and it works perfectly and sounds great. In short, a keeper.

I'm not a first-time Variax user; I have a 500 and an Acoustic 700.  I have a feeling that because the JTV 89F is a brand new model, it may not have had time to get a number of them out there manhandled by GC customers and then tossed back into the blender. At this point, I don't anticipate problems, and I would guess that the guitar will be good to go for professional use.

scottgmusic as thorneven said I can certainly understand why you would think that way getting two bad guitars.  Personally I work in an 80s cover band and an original recording progressive band and I am also on my fourth Variax starting with the Red VAX 700 and VAC 700 and now a JTV59 and JTV89F and I can say all of these guitars have worked flawlessly and saved tons aggravation and given me great capability on stage.

The Original Band Elephants of Scotland is now recording its second album and will be appearing at RosFest in May of next year and I can definitely tell you the albums would sound no where near as good as they do, nor would I have the capability of going from a Sitar, Les Paul, Fender Strat and Martin Acoustic all in one song and be able to recreate it on stage.

So hopefully your not completely turned off to this instrument and can get a good working one.

I'm a little suspicious of this thread.  The guy only has two posts and he hasn't responded in anyway to the comments. I've seen this before from anti-Line6 guys. Create a member profile only to rank on a Line 6 product.  Not to get and give information.  You can never be sure but it does look a little suspicious.

I'm a little suspicious of this thread.  The guy only has two posts and he hasn't responded in anyway to the comments. I've seen this before from anti-Line6 guys. Create a member profile only to rank on a Line 6 product.  Not to get and give information.  You can never be sure but it does look a little suspicious.

That would be hilarious if it really was Scott Grove. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one to talk trash about Variaxes. 

Either this guy is taking a long time, or he's a troll.