Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB input 1/2 (Solo - One Man Band)

sech

I'm a one man band and I need to control the volume for my backing tracks using a volume pedal through the EXP3 controller. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to assign EXP3 to the USB 1/2. I found a way to make this work creating a USB 3/4 input with a volume block within a patch but when I change the patch, the backing track playback interrupts momentarily making this option unusable. I know I can use a mixing board and all that but I'm very excited about the possibility of only using the Helix and not have to lug and set up any other gear. We are so close, just need the ability to assign one external (EXP) controller to control the input volume for USB 1/2 input. Any ideas on how I can make this work?

I'm a one man band and I need to control the volume for my backing tracks using a volume pedal through the EXP3 controller. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to assign EXP3 to the USB 1/2. I found a way to make this work creating a USB 3/4 input with a volume block within a patch but when I change the patch, the backing track playback interrupts momentarily making this option unusable. I know I can use a mixing board and all that but I'm very excited about the possibility of only using the Helix and not have to lug and set up any other gear. We are so close, just need the ability to assign one external (EXP) controller to control the input volume for USB 1/2 input. Any ideas on how I can make this work?

It can't be done on USB 1/2 with the Helix firmware as it stands now. I have explored this idea extensively and came to the same conclusions as you choosing between USB 1/2 and 3/4. I use USB 1/2 so I don't get the interruption while changing presets, but without being able to control volume with an expression pedal. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback, I will try the snapshots but sometimes I use several sounds sounds in one song and it's not practical to only stay within one patch even if I have several snapshot options. Hopefully Line 6 can make a firmware update for volume controlling USB 1/2 through an expression controller in the future...

BTW, my backing tracks are coming from a laptop connected through USB into Helix. I can get the concept to work within one patch creating a path using USB 3/4 input with a volume control but it drops off when I change the patch...

BTW, my backing tracks are coming from a laptop connected through USB into Helix. I can get the concept to work within one patch creating a path using USB 3/4 input with a volume control but it drops off when I change the patch...

One thing you could try that I haven't explored yet is sending MIDI to your DAW that is running your tracks to control the volume there. That way you could run tracks to Helix on USB 1/2, but control the volume at the DAW end via midi from the Helix. 

Good advice and that would be ideal but I have so many backing tracks from so many sources that mastering them all to normalize the volume would be a huge task, I'm looking at about a thousand tracks, so adjusting them on the fly is my crutch right now...I don't use a DAW for BT's, just pushing MP3/WAV files though a program that plays and scrolls lyrics so the midi route might be hard to pull off...