Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

CPU Optimization for Helix Native request

vertibration

I tried the Demo, and I love it, however I would like to see some CPU optimization.  It is a CPU hog for some, maybe for others its not.  I use Ableton Live, Macbook pro 2011 16GB Ram, SSD, and running OSX Sierra.  I think its around 27% CPU.  

That is a bit much, I would like to see it drop to around 10% CPU

I tried the Demo, and I love it, however I would like to see some CPU optimization.  It is a CPU hog for some, maybe for others its not.  I use Ableton Live, Macbook pro 2011 16GB Ram, SSD, and running OSX Sierra.  I think its around 27% CPU.  

That is a bit much, I would like to see it drop to around 10% CPU

Hi,

I don't know if you spotted this discussion in the main Helix forum, it may be worth a read.

http://line6.com/support/topic/29060-helix-native-software-cpu-hog-pro-tools-1271-hd-12-core-mac-pro/

Lots of users coming up with different results!

• 3 years later...

PC Win 10 Intel core i7 4790 CPU@3.60 Ghz 24GB ram

Ableton Live 11 standard

Presonus Studio 68c

Helix Native VST

Trying to use Preset 2  13D Knife Fight

CPU Maxing out so much that it goes silent every 10 or so seconds....I've seen it spike to 120ish usage?

In fact, CPU jumps to 78 without even playing the effect, just sitting in an ableton track!

Ableton doesn't choke on it's own though CPU can go over 50 using 20 tracks.

Anyone????????????

On 3/28/2021 at 7:41 PM, gparent said:

CPU Maxing out so much that it goes silent every 10 or so seconds....I've seen it spike to 120ish usage?

In fact, CPU jumps to 78 without even playing the effect, just sitting in an ableton track!

Ableton doesn't choke on it's own though CPU can go over 50 using 20 tracks.

his might be relevant too your situation, re Ableton Live 11.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this topic.

I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro 15" (Late 2016) with 16GB RAM to Big Sur.

When I open Logic Pro X with no tracks etc, it hovers around 25% CPU.

But if simply add Helix Native (3.10, with any patch), CPU goes to 125% and stays there. I get frequent audio dropouts. Helix Native becomes quite unresponsive, it can take 1-5 seconds from I click on anything in the interface, for it to respond. Everything "works" (I can play etc) but my machine becomes very sluggish.

I replaced Helix Native on the track with an instance of Amplitube 5 CS and CPU dropped down to about 50%.

But I don't want to use AT...I love Helix.

Any ideas? I will be getting a new Mac soonish but can't afford it right now.

That's indeed frustrating. I don't know what your Logic experience is, but what is your buffer size set to (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > General)? Try higher settings. Also, is Software Monitoring deselected? And set your Process Buffer Range to Large.

• Like 1

Thanks @soundog.

My io buffer is at 512 samples. EDIT: I changed it to 256, it seems to work just as well.

I set the Process Buffer to Large like you suggested, it helped a lot! CPU usage for Helix Native went down to about 60% which is fine. It's workable now. :) 

Luckily I cannot confirm any of that. I run 5-6 different computers, mostly Laptops with Big Sur (some of them already at 11.3) but also 2 muscle desktops with Catalina and so far I never had any issues with Line 6 Native. The GUI is terrible but that's a different story.

It peacefully coexists with Native Instruments, IK, Two Notes, and Fishman TriplePlay stuff. Now TriplePlay is messy but in it's own universe.

Sorry for not being able to help except having to say: it works here! Running Logic 10.6.1 and .2...

Br

After Big Sur was updated to 11.3 and Logic Pro to 10.6.2 these issues mostly went away, so perhaps there has been some optimization behind the scenes. The interface is still kind of sluggish at times but not to the point of being useless.

Thank you @soundog for your help.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Maybe some little improvements....

I was (until yesterday) running Ableton LIVE 11 release 11.0.12 w/ NATIVE, but it was a train wreck.    For instance, in a new LIVE project, with only ONE channel with only ONE plugin(Native), this simple test setup results in Native "Preset" (from the factory) red-lining and with CPU clips within a few seconds of hitting the first note....oddly, the first couple of seconds, is fine, and then clips, and then fine again for X seconds, and then CPU clips again....a train wreck.

UPGRADE LIVE?   I just today upgraded to the current LIVE 11.1.1 build, and it seems to be 40% improved....but of course, that is still not good enough.  This is just a quick observation, and may be completely inaccurate, but it seems like  11.1.1 has improved some things and I have 40% ish less CPU clips (especially on those factory presets that  has less dramatic Delay and Reverb and Modulation in the chain). 

btw, I am running a fairly high-powered DELL w/ Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz   w/ 32g RAM.   

Also, I am using Throttlestop (to help remove some crackling during live gigs)...so I don't know if that is a factor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYgpnXWzCc 

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

After reading many Native CPU forum user issues, spread across many Hardware platforms and diverse DAWs, this really gets me pondering if the Cores are not being used in the optimal way (something I know nothing about, not even how to test it).   Or if, perhaps, some mystery wicked combination of ASIO drivers, audio interface drivers (either UA Apollo or Steinberg or Focusrite or Berhinger, etc etc etc), software design of the DAW, software design of NATIVE...it ALL creates some messy combination of factors which as a whole, make the outcome pretty disappointing.

Thoughts?

NW