Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yet another speaker discussion for Helix...

ofp2079

I think I'm gonna leave that band. Problem solved !!  :D

Next week we have our first rehearsal since he bought the Marshall. 

I'm gonna bring 2 Altos TS10 to see how it goes.  

I'll tell you at what level the Altos and our ears all die all together !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The 3 other band members will have left the building way before that threshold I think !!

Or, you could kill him and sell his gear on eBay and buy even more speakers.shock.gif :lol:

That's a nonsense statement. You're saying that PA can't out-shout a guitar amp. It's demonstrably not true. 

A single, or even a pair, of FRFRs vs. a 100W amp cranked up through a 4 x 12?

won't keep up.

The real answer is for the other guitarist to cease to be a d!¢k... but that's not in our realm of possibility...

Well the both the DXR10 and DXR12 are rated 700 watts RMS. Shouldn't that give the 100 watt Marshall some kind of competition?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-o0UP2Q2IiDx/compare_845DXR10_845DXR12/Yamaha-DXR10-vs-Yamaha-DXR12.html?XVINQ=DST&XVVER=Z01&awcp=1t1&awcr=163714929590&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9033327

You'd think so, but pushed that hard the sound would, I bet, be unusable harsh.

SS power gets harsh once a certain threshold of volume is reached... 100 tube watts just gets louder and louder. I have a 60 watt Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 combo amp (single 12" speaker). It has two 6L6 power tubes. It could drown out a weak drummer, and doesn't get messy at full volume. That's only 60 watts into a 12" speaker.

This thread is making me wish I lived far away from my neighbors and had a hundred watt Marshall half stack... bring me back to my youth. Lol.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick."

- David Gilmour

You'd think so, but pushed that hard the sound would, I bet, be unusable harsh.

and you'd lose that bet. I have a dxr10 and a 4x12 I gigged with for 15+ years (albeit not the same head in op)

While it is fascinating to watch, i admit, the dxr can hang in spades

I was in a similar situation, I have a bunch of nice tube amps, but was trying to downsize my rig and make setup and loading gear easier at gigs. I bought a Helix LT and an Alto TS212 and struggled keeping up with the other guitarists tube amp without clipping the Alto. I considered picking up a DXR or higher powered FRFR, but on a whim, turned off the cab IR's and ran into the effects return of my Marshall DSL40c with a creamback speaker...wow, all the volume and punch you could ever want. So now that's what I am running...the DSL is about the same weight as the higher powered PA speakers and is compact enough to be portable. I routed my signal chain in the helix to the 1/4 inch outs without IR's to the DSL and the XLR gets the signal with a creamback IR by celestion which I can use if my amp ever goes down at a gig.. Super easy setup too, just one cable from helix to the amp. I didn't have much luck with just the preamp models, I am running the full amp models with no cabs/IR's. Best of both worlds for me anyways...

• Upvote 1

Hi... 

So yesterday we had the first rehearsal with the Marshall 100W and its 4x12 VS a pair of Alto TS210...

Well I can really say that the pair of Alto did more than well... I was quite blown away by the magic, clarity and power.

Even when the other guy pushed the tubes a bit.

We've found the perfect balance between the two sources easier than I thought, and not drowning the others  in the room.

I feel much reassured now, this is the way to go with my Helix.

Since I actually currently own only 1 Alto (the other being the vocalist's), now I'm hesitating between the 2 following options:

- a pair of Alto TS10 (maybe 12)

- a pair of DBX10 (maybe 12)

I would keep my current Alto only for monitoring.

Would love to hear if you guys have been able to compare the Altos and Yamaha's, the later being like 40% more expensive, is this justified in terms of quality ?

Well I can really say that the pair of Alto did more than well... I was quite blown away by the magic, clarity and power.

That statement pretty much nailed a positive reason for lots of users looking for a pair of very reasonable priced FRFR monitors. I've thought about getting a pair myself, but I have the Firehawk 1500 and very satisfied with it.

You can call me Mr. DXR12...since I own 4 of them.  I can't speak to the Alto as I've only heard them demo'd and they sound pretty decent.  I just love the versatility and accuracy of the DXR's.  But I think this has a lot to do with the type of music you play.  I love them because we play such a wide range of styles and I use a wide range of instruments, so I need a speaker that brings out the individual qualities of the different instruments and vocals I put through it.  I use it to support different presets where I'm playing a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul, a Gretsch hollow body, an acoustic guitar, a banjo, and a keyboard across a wide range of musical genres using about 80 different presets.  If I were doing a more limited range of styles I'm not sure I'd be so quick to choose the Yamaha DXR over the Alto to be honest,