Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix as interface -- simple question

Rocco_Crocco

I want to be able to monitor my Helix in stereo through my laptop. I use a AudioBox USB as an interface, but it does not produce a stereo signal when I hook my Helix up to it using the 1/4" stereo inputs.

When I hook the Helix to my laptop via USB and change the soundcard in Windows to Helix, I get no sound unless I still use the 1/4" ins on the Audiobox, and I still don't get stereo separation. What am I doing wrong, or do I not have the right equipment?

In whatever software you are using to control the sound in your laptop (Reaper, ProTools, etc...), you need to select Helix as the audio interface. Just changing it in Windows settings won't translate to other apps/software. 

For example my laptop is set for the internal sound card in Windows settings, but Reaper is set up to use the Helix ASIO driver as audio in and out. 

In whatever software you are using to control the sound in your laptop (Reaper, ProTools, etc...), you need to select Helix as the audio interface. Just changing it in Windows settings won't translate to other apps/software. 

For example my laptop is set for the internal sound card in Windows settings, but Reaper is set up to use the Helix ASIO driver as audio in and out. 

thanks for the response.

I want to listen to my Helix in stereo without using a DAW or other software. I also don't want to hook my monitors directly to the helix. I am guessing that's not possible unless I get a different Interface.

thanks for the response.

I want to listen to my Helix in stereo without using a DAW or other software. I also don't want to hook my monitors directly to the helix. I am guessing that's not possible unless I get a different Interface.

You have to set up SOMETHING to allow audio in in order to do this. It has nothing to do with the interface, no interface does what you seek.

thanks for the response.

Ok, gotcha. 

Make sure you have an ASIO driver installed on your PC. Then you chose that driver as your audio card in Windows. I am not at home right now, so I can't tell you the name of the driver I am using. Also try unplugging your current interface. It could be interfering with your USB connection to Helix. 

When you have that done, you can play audio from any app within windows (Media Player, Spotify, etc...) over USB 1/2. I listen to music all the time from my PC through Helix on USB 1/2, with monitors connected to the Helix. It is handy for practicing along with music recordings. You can adjust the audio level from your PC on the Helix on Global Settings>Ins Outs> USB 1/2 Trim

.... I also don't want to hook my monitors directly to the helix.....

That's the main issue right there. The device you connect your monitors to must be set as the sound card for producing the audio. If this is not Helix then the sound produced by Helix is routed through another sound card before you hear it, along with additional D/A and A/D conversions. Unless you have a very high end sound card that is superior to Helix (unlikely) the sound quality you hear will be inferior to the sound Helix is producing. Certainly the factory installed sound card in a typical commercial laptop is far inferior to Helix.

Why do you want to listen to an inferior sound quality?

The device you connect your monitors to must be set as the sound card for producing the audio.

Why do you want to listen to an inferior sound quality?

The monitors and sound card are linked, then. Good to know.

Of course I don't want to listen to inferior quality... I just don't want to have to crawl under my desk to un-hook the monitors from my PreSonus interface (is mounted to my desk.... its a PITA go get to it) and hook them up to my Helix every time I feel like listening to the Helix thru my monitors. I also don't want to have my Helix operate as my semi-permanent sound card because I move it around a lot, leave it at my rehearsal space frequently, etc.

Maybe an A/B switch for each monitor cable is the answer... I could switch between the PreSonus and the Helix.

Or, I guess I could just buy Helix Native, I guess.

Or maybe get a small mixer? Connect the outputs of both Helix and Presonus (and your laptop if your wish) to the mixer inputs and connect your monitors to the mixer outputs. You will never have to swap cables - just use whatever audio device you want at any time and it's sound will go through the mixer to the monitors.

I also don't want to have my Helix operate as my semi-permanent sound card because I move it around a lot, leave it at my rehearsal space frequently, etc.

Guitar Interface yes, audio Interface no if you have room, and the funds for another,  and if u move Helix around much. Honestly, I'm much happier (and I'm sure some will disagree and that's ok) in using Helix for exactly what I bought it for, which was a kickass guitar processor. Nice to have a "backup" audio interface if I needed one too lol...  :P

Guitar Interface yes, audio Interface no if you have room, and the funds for another,  and if u move Helix around much. Honestly, I'm much happier (and I'm sure some will disagree and that's ok) in using Helix for exactly what I bought it for, which was a kickass guitar processor. Nice to have a "backup" audio interface if I needed one too lol...  :P

Or, get a second Helix as a dedicated audio interface that can serve as a backup to the live unit, then you have no need for Native..you've got something better.  I can live without a backup audio interface...I can't live without a backup live Helix unit.

You have to set up SOMETHING to allow audio in in order to do this. It has nothing to do with the interface, no interface does what you seek.

Maybe im misunderstanding, but there are plenty of interfaces that do this. If the audio interface has a software mixer (such as a fireface 800) it allows you to pan the two inputs for separation.  

Maybe im misunderstanding, but there are plenty of interfaces that do this. If the audio interface has a software mixer (such as a fireface 800) it allows you to pan the two inputs for separation.  

What I think Hamm meant was that you can listen to Helix without an audio (even on if you have one) Interface , by just using a mixer and having your speakers (powered or otherwise depending on the mixer) hooked to it.

he wanted to do something with NO software, though.

What I think Hamm meant was that you can listen to Helix without an audio (even on if you have one) Interface , by just using a mixer and having your speakers (powered or otherwise depending on the mixer) hooked to it.

he wanted to do something with NO software, though.

Thanks for the clarification fellas. I was definitely misunderstanding.