Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500 Reverbs?

Metalchef

Quick question for the general knowledge department. Do the reverbs seem out of wack and a little too spacey? But also what are your favorite reverbs and methods of taming said reverbs? I am running a POD hd500 to a DT50 2x12 connected Via L6 Link. Doesn't have to pertain to my set up just want some general feelings on the reverb situation.

Most people who like to use reverb over due it. Here's an easy rule to follow. Adjust the Reverb  level to where you like it then, reduce that in half. So if you initially end up with 20%, just cut down to 10%.. In other words you want to feel the reverb but not necessarily  hear it. If  reverb is at 10%, you might not hear it a lot but if you turn it off you will definitely miss it. if you need to create very large spaces complement with delay instead of increasing reverb levels.

More reverbs muddies the sound while delays retain more clarity. Use more than one reverb to fattent the sound: TIle reverb 15-20% to create ambience and depth. hall , plate or cavern at levels less than 10% to create more space. The tile reverb will contribute to the 3d perception and even if you don't hear it, if you turn it off you will easily miss the width it contributes.

If you think of it as a room, the tile or short reverb will contribute to the width while the long reverb will create the ceiling height.

The reverbs in the HD series are more than decent and very useable if you don't overdue the levels.

I like the decay and tale of the cavern reverb, I go with less than 50%  for decay time but still much less than 10% for level and it still sounds very nice and spacey.

The chamber is more forgiving as far as levels and it retains more clarity..

• Upvote 4

@ DeanDinosaur.... I used your Rule of Half sir and it worked well especially your tip on level of decay my decay is at about 41% constant now which is allowing me to add more mix up to about 22% on spring reverb. I have been holding off on the DT 2.0 update just out of midi phobia ( Fear of not understanding what the frag midi does and consequently resulting in some screw up that would require me not being able to use this wonderful set up. It's addictive. But all good answers

I agree also. Less is more. With other effects as well as reverb. If you listen at low levels and add a lot of effects and reverb, when you go to play at performance levels, there's too much of everything and it sounds washed out & muddy. It's sort of like the fletcher-munson curve for bass response. If you mix for it to sound good at lower levels, when you turn up, the mix is overly effected. Which means you either have to develop your patches at concert levels, or get used to putting in less than you think it needs. Actually the "Cut it in Half" technique in not a bad way to go at all.

@ DeanDinosaur.... I used your Rule of Half sir and it worked well especially your tip on level of decay my decay is at about 41% constant now which is allowing me to add more mix up to about 22% on spring reverb. I have been holding off on the DT 2.0 update just out of midi phobia ( Fear of not understanding what the frag midi does and consequently resulting in some screw up that would require me not being able to use this wonderful set up. It's addictive. But all good answers

I'm really glad that you found my answer useful. I honestly believe your setup is better than anything out there and if it isn't broken why bother fixing it.

What are your thoughts on signal chain placement of both Reverb and delay? The L6 link should replace the need for the 4 Cable Method in making effects placed after the amp post amp effects right? One more question for you guys right now I've got a ZW LP w EMG 81/85 and a Squier strat I bought as a learning guitar that I have put Texas Specials in and shielded the cavity and blocked the tremolo off. About to redo my pots and some rewiring to finish it off. While it is a squier and there is a slight tone difference from a fender in a lack of body to the tone ( just slight when compared to similarly set up American STD.) I am chalking it up to wood used. I think u could put these Texas specials on a 2x4 and make it sound good. Anyways my question is I am looking at getting a JTV89 To round out my "Dream Rig". Do u guys think it is necessary to reach this set ups full potential to have a JTV or does it make it all too complicated to really enjoy? I am not really a gigging musician though I do attend local Jam Sessions and play a few shows with friends in bands. And yes my DT50 2x12 choice was a little bit of overkill but it is he who has the best toys at the end and not the most that wins and it provides the occasional shock to the heart my wife needs to keep going. Any opinions are welcome.

For clarity and all purpose set up,  delay comes before the reverb. Placing the delay after the reverb might work with short small reverbs. 

Regarding the L6 connection, it's supposed to be the only cable needed to connect from the POD HD to DT amp series according to line6.

Regarding the JTV89  you  need to consider that the acoustic guitar models wont' sound good through the DT50. The stagesource speakers would be better suited for acoustic sounds. Before I start sounding like a salesman for line6, let me end by saying that you currently  have enough gear and you seem to be having a blast with it.

Yes sir I am most pleased and have no complaints. Took me searching out a lot of knowledge on things like Eq and the effects of bias and Master Volume as well as things like pick attack and precision and u can take it from someone who owned a beloved Plexi the model is eerily similar but not as forgiving in technique (or lack of that is) as the real amp but I can get the same tones out of it as I could the real things. My only headscratchers that I can't seem to get where I like are the 800 model and the Engel. And I figured with EMGs and a LP I would have no problem but was not so everything just gets muddy but I know it's possible because I've heard clips of those models that are wonderful. Could also be I'm playing 90% of the time in Low Volume Mode on the DT using full amps on the pod. Maybe they will be better at their typical frequencies right between ear piercing and tenitis. Good call n the acoustic models as well I didn't even consider it would 1 LT3 be enough to achieve a decent sound? Is the JTV89 the only one with the High Gain Models I believe 5 new ones? And what are the models modeling? Last question while I'm picking brains... Do the stock JTV Mags really sound decent now?

I almost bought a JTV last Holiday, but at the last minute I changed my mind. The Mags are quite decent from what I hear. I haven't been following up on the JTV as I'm sorting the inventory of guitars I have that don't get play time.  Regarding the high gain clarity, I've been having a lot of luck turning the SAG all the way down to the left. For more clarity and tighter feel, I move the Bias Excursion also to the left. I don't do this often but metal player like to also move the Bias to the LEFT to get the cold AB bias.