Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping with Helix

Phil_GMC

Hello folks,

I'm trying to reamp with my Helix LT via USB. The video below explains it  but he isn't using Reaper. I've managed to record my guitar using the L/R 1/4 jacks and also the USB BUT, I can't get a dry signal from the USB, it has the same effects as the 1/4 jack outputs.

I'm using a Scarlett 18i8 interface for the 1/4 outs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

• Downvote 1

It's easy.

At the same time you record the wet sound from USB 1/2 (or even just monitor it), record a signal onto USB 7.

USB 7 is always (unless you change it in globals I think) the dry guitar input.

Then output that recorded track to whatever USB input you set your Helix patch to and record back to USB 1/2 and you're good to go.

Even better, if you have Helix or Helix Rack, Helix Native is a near-no-brainer at 99 bucks, and you can re-amp without even plugging Helix in.

DOH!

I was selecting Helix USB 1 and 2 when I needed to select 7 and 8. I've got a dry sound now.

Sorry.

Just got to work out how to send it back to Helix for reamping now, I'm struggling to get the path right so that I can do it.   :(

I have got the Helix Native trial but it is very noisy for some reason. Lots of hiss :(. I'm using a Helix LT so Native isn't a super cheap option for me anyway.

Cheers

In addition to the reamping info above, if the final processed track requires some sort of initial manual expression control, such as a wah, volume, or whatever else, you can record this midi data at the same time as the dry track, over USB. Then when you want to reamp, you can send the recorded midi data back to helix at the same time as the dry track, as well as any other midi control for snapshots, toggling blocks, etc. All this is pretty straightforward using Reaper.

But how? Lol

This is how I do it on Helix with Reaper:

In Reaper, I have a track that's going to be the processed track. As a sub-track I have the dry track with a hardware output of 3/4. I normally have this track muted unless I'm going to reamp. Arm the processed track for recording, and set the track's monitoring to ON or AUTO.

On Helix, set the input of your preset to USB 3/4 and the output to USB 1/2. To make things easier if you plan on reamping a lot, make two presets, one for reamping only.

I've probably forgotten something, but at the moment I think that should be it.

You don't have to do that.

It's easy.

At the same time you record the wet sound from USB 1/2 (or even just monitor it), record a signal onto USB 7.

USB 7 is always (unless you change it in globals I think) the dry guitar input.

Then output that recorded track to whatever USB input you set your Helix patch to and record back to USB 1/2 and you're good to go.

Even better, if you have Helix or Helix Rack, Helix Native is a near-no-brainer at 99 bucks, and you can re-amp without even plugging Helix in.

This is how.

Thanks Peter,

I'm probably overthinking this or I'm just plain brain dead but, this is the part I don't understand. I can't see how to "output" it back to Helix.

Thanks,

Phil

On each track in Reaper, you can set its input and output. You are inputting the dry from Helix on USB 7. Once you have that dry track recorded, you set its output to something back to Helix, like USB 3/4. Then on a Helix preset, you set your input block to USB 3/4. Now you are sending that dry guitar track to your Helix preset. You can then set the output block of that preset to something like USB 5/6 out back to Reaper. You have a separate track in Reaper with the input set to USB 5/6, and you are now recording the dry track running through your Helix, back to Reaper. 

Thanks,

I must be a complete donut  :(  I have managed to get the dry track back to Helix and come out of my speakers effected. I can't see how to send the track to a new track in Reaper though and for some reason, I can't get the dry track to go back to Helix now. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

When you get time, is there any chance of some screen shots please?

Thank you for your help.

Phil

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit confused, I have read a few threads on this very topic and still can't find the way to changing the dry track input to USB7.

Both tracks (stereo and mono) are created, armed for recording.

Can someone describe me precisely where to find the path to setup the input to USB7 ? I have been looking for it everywhere (under the "input" section below the track's name, under the "in"section as well).

I am really new to reamping and not that fluent at the whole recording process, but everything was quite straightforward when using reaper so far but now I kinda feel lost.

I have the most recent reaper update 

Thank you very much in advance for being as precise as possible

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit confused, I have read a few threads on this very topic and still can't find the way to changing the dry track input to USB7.

Both tracks (stereo and mono) are created, armed for recording.

Can someone describe me precisely where to find the path to setup the input to USB7 ? I have been looking for it everywhere (under the "input" section below the track's name, under the "in"section as well).

I am really new to reamping and not that fluent at the whole recording process, but everything was quite straightforward when using reaper so far but now I kinda feel lost.

I have the most recent reaper update 

Thank you very much in advance for being as precise as possible

By default the Helix will output a dry signal for whatever sources you choose on the USB 7 and USB 8 outputs. You can configure the source on the Helix setting the 'Global Settings' --> INs/Outs --> 'Re-amp Src (USB 7) = "Guitar" for example. This will send your dry guitar signal from the Helix's "Guitar" input out to the DAW on USB 7. Now arm and record whatever tracks on your DAW you wish to record, for example USB 1/2 for the wet effected mix from the Helix and also record a track that uses USB 7 as the input. That will be your dry track from the Helix. Now you can set the output on your DAW for example to USB 3/4. Now go to the Helix Input block, scroll down and set the Helix Input block to "USB 3/4". When you hit playback on your DAW you should now hear the dry track you recorded coming back in through the Helix. The trick is to have the USB output channels on the DAW set to the same corresponding USB inputs set on the Input block of the Helix.

Btw, if the problem is finding the input choices on the Helix Input block, just select the Input block and push the joystick down. That will present you with a list of inputs. If you are using the Editor just selecting the Input block will show a list of input choices including the USB inputs.

The other main issues to be cognizant of with re-amping are how you are monitoring, e.g. using studio monitors via the computer or using the outputs on the Helix. This may affect how you use the "Live Input Monitoring" switch (or whatever it is called on your DAW).

Take a look at page #54 for some specific instructions on how to go about reamping on the Helix.

I eventually found the solution on my own, thanks a lot!

The problem was that I had not selected Input 7 for the helix in "preferences" -> "device" (that's what I had been looking for for ages). Then I obviously had to select output 7/8 as well in the routing section for the mono track and it worked just fine at last.

Thanks a lot anyway guys!

I’m actually having issues with this also, my usb #7 is dead silent.

I'm recording #1&2 just fine in Sonar, but the channel that should be dry is silent. In Global -> input its set to 7.

I use my JTV guitar with the variax cable, could that have something to do with it?

I’m actually having issues with this also, my usb #7 is dead silent.

I'm recording #1&2 just fine in Sonar, but the channel that should be dry is silent. In Global -> input its set to 7.

I use my JTV guitar with the variax cable, could that have something to do with it?

Are you setting it here: Global Settings >Ins Outs >Reamp Source 7/8 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4.3.2018 at 1:17 AM, jbuhajla said:

Are you setting it here: Global Settings >Ins Outs >Reamp Source 7/8 

Sorry about the ultralong responsetime, but the forum was down.... :|

It was a fault from my side, the re-amp source was probably reset (when I updated to 2.53 and did a global reset) so the input source had to be set to Variax again. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I realize this is an old thread but I am in need of some help with reamping with the LT in Reaper. I am following the instructions from the user manual but running into a snag.

1. In the Helix Global Settings>Ins/Outs>Page 3 screen, set Re-amp Src (USB 7) to "Guitar" (as shown above).
  2. Dial in your desired Helix tone, while keeping the Helix Input and Output blocks both set to the default "Multi" setting.
  3. Create two new audio tracks in your DAW software project: Create one mono track to record the dry DI guitar, and set the track's input to Helix USB 7. Create one stereo track to record your full, stereo Helix-processed tone and set the track's input to Helix USB 1/2.

I am good with step 1 & 2 but 3 is where I am confused because I don't have an input for USB 1/2. Unless this means just setting the input on the Helix to Guitar or multi and the stereo track in Reaper to Input 1/2 I am at a loss.

What I have managed to get to work is just setting the input to Mulit and the output to Multi-output and recording the stereo track using input 1/2 and the DI track in mono using input 7 (USB 7). Doing this I get both the original Helix signal chain sound on the stereo track and the dry unaffected guitar on the mono track. But I can't figure out a way to record the reamped track.

Any help is appreciated.

Another vote for buying the Helix Native plug-in, to go with the physical Helix & Reaper.

Being able to re-amp just using the laptop, or tweak tones on the move, etc, etc is great.

Plus, it makes recording and monitoring more versatile. Being able to quickly play back and mess about with different Helix presets on multiple tracks, etc, etc, is great.

Thanks for the reply scallybert. I have tried Native and would love to stick with it rather than messing with reamping. The problem with Native for me is I get a ton of hissing from it. I will likely search or open a topic for that since the support team was stumped, but in the interim I would like to be able to get reamping to work.

16 hours ago, hurley78 said:

Hi All,

I realize this is an old thread but I am in need of some help with reamping with the LT in Reaper. I am following the instructions from the user manual but running into a snag.

1. In the Helix Global Settings>Ins/Outs>Page 3 screen, set Re-amp Src (USB 7) to "Guitar" (as shown above).
  2. Dial in your desired Helix tone, while keeping the Helix Input and Output blocks both set to the default "Multi" setting.
  3. Create two new audio tracks in your DAW software project: Create one mono track to record the dry DI guitar, and set the track's input to Helix USB 7. Create one stereo track to record your full, stereo Helix-processed tone and set the track's input to Helix USB 1/2.

I am good with step 1 & 2 but 3 is where I am confused because I don't have an input for USB 1/2. Unless this means just setting the input on the Helix to Guitar or multi and the stereo track in Reaper to Input 1/2 I am at a loss.

What I have managed to get to work is just setting the input to Mulit and the output to Multi-output and recording the stereo track using input 1/2 and the DI track in mono using input 7 (USB 7). Doing this I get both the original Helix signal chain sound on the stereo track and the dry unaffected guitar on the mono track. But I can't figure out a way to record the reamped track.

Any help is appreciated.

You are correct in your input,output on Helix for recording.

For ReAmping your next step is take the dry track in your DAW, and send it back out through USB. You have a choice of USB 3&4, USB 5&6, and USB 7&8. Any of these will work fine, but choose 3&4 for now. Now on the Helix you need to change the input to USB 3&4 (or whichever one you set it to in your DAW, they have to match)

Now the ReAmped signal will be sent back to input 1&2 on your DAW (same as your original "wet" tone.)

Just be sure to mute the original wet guitar signal you recorded along with your dry track.

Hope it helps.

7 minutes ago, hurley78 said:

Lachdanan0121, Thank you so much. The key thing I was missing was setting a route in the dry track to output to USB 3&4. Now everything works like a charm. 

No problem. I am glad you like your Helix, and I am glad I could help.