Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help required - Input pad and guitar volume pot

brettchinery

Hi - just bought a Helix Lt and am very impressed so far - However, how does everyone set he input pad??? All my guitars are low to medium output single coils or humbuckers and to my ears, they all sound better and less digital if set to "on" which shouldn't be case as surely the pad is for high output?

Also on my strat, if I turn the guitar volume pot down from say 10 to 7/8 the volume drops away massively and not smoothly over the entire sweep of the pot which is what would happen if plugged into a real amp

I have raised a support ticket but thought I would ask for some help here

Have I got something set up wrong -  HELP!!!!!!!!

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for the input pad. A lot of people like in on for all their guitars. I found with my strat that everything sounded dull and lifeless with it on; none of the fabled bloom of a tube amp. My bassist even commented about my tone sounding dead (but didn't read me the riot act about using a modeler). When I turned the pad off, everything was suddenly fixed. The tone came alive and I couldn't be happier. So experiment and make your own decision. 

I do not have the same issues with my volume knob. If you continue having that issue and it's not a noise gate, then troubleshoot by going dead simple. New patch with just an amp and cab. See if the input pad is the culprit. If not, keep adding things to the patch one at a time to see if something starts to cause your issue. 

Hi - just bought a Helix Lt and am very impressed so far - However, how does everyone set he input pad??? All my guitars are low to medium output single coils or humbuckers and to my ears, they all sound better and less digital if set to "on" which shouldn't be case as surely the pad is for high output?

Also on my strat, if I turn the guitar volume pot down from say 10 to 7/8 the volume drops away massively and not smoothly over the entire sweep of the pot which is what would happen if plugged into a real amp

I have raised a support ticket but thought I would ask for some help here

Have I got something set up wrong -  HELP!!!!!!!!

I play primarily strats and teles. I get no "digital sounding" guitar input and use my volume pot on the guitar all the time for controlling input to the Helix. In my experience, using my guitar volume pot on Helix reacts the same as any "real" amp I have ever played. 

What you are describing is highly dependent on your pickups, signal chain, the effects you have in your preset, the order of effects, and the amp model you are using. If I use the noise gate on the input block, I have it set to very sensitive (-70 to -60dB), but most of the time I have it off. I have input pad off so I don't prematurely cut the input signal. If you have a compressor in your chain, your volume pot response will be affected greatly. Some gain/distortion/fuzz pedals react quite differently to changing volume pot because of the compressing of the signal that they do.

So test this theory, set input pad off, noise gate off, drop in a Plexi amp/cab block with no effects and default settings. Plug in your strat on the neck pickup and roll your volume pot around. It should be reacting just like the real amp. On 10 it should be pretty crunchy, getting down to 5 and below, it should be cleaning up very nicely.