Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did I read somewhere that some guys are using the Flextone amps as FRFR solution on stage?

iamgeorge

Ok, let me rephrase that.. 

I could've sworn I remember seeing somewhere here that there are some players out there that have been using the Line 6 Flextone combo as an FRFR solution, either at home or on stage.. could this be?! 

I guess the second part of this weird question is, can that actually be done?   For anyone that actually has done that, how does it sound? 

Ok, let me rephrase that.. [/size]I could've sworn I remember seeing somewhere here that there are some players out there that have been using the Line 6 Flextone combo as an FRFR solution, either at home or on stage.. [/size]could this be?! I guess the second part of this weird question is, [/size]can that actually be done? For anyone that actually has done that, how does it sound? [/size]

I sometimes use a Line 6 Vetta 2 combo, so same idea. Neither are FRFR, so personally I run the amp models without a speaker block or IR into the combo power amp (effects return). No need to use a cab model as it's going into an actual guitar speaker, though I've read some folks do, I tried it, but when cranked to drummer level sounds unnatural to me.

I do have to put a dummy jack plug in the amp's input and I run a blank preset on the combo. It's a stereo effects return socket, so i use a y lead, 2x mono jacks from the Helix to a stereo jack into the combo, otherwise you only get one speaker, though I believe Flextones come in mono and stereo versions. Sounds great to me and the Vetta 2 has master Bass and Treble controls for room tweaks.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes use a Line 6 Vetta 2 combo, so same idea. Neither are FRFR, so personally I run the amp models without a speaker block or IR into the combo power amp (effects return). No need to use a cab model as it's going into an actual guitar speaker, though I've read some folks do, I tried it, but when cranked to drummer level sounds unnatural to me.

I do have to put a dummy jack plug in the amp's input and I run a blank preset on the combo. It's a stereo effects return socket, so i use a y lead, 2x mono jacks from the Helix to a stereo jack into the combo, otherwise you only get one speaker, though I believe Flextones come in mono and stereo versions. Sounds great to me and the Vetta 2 has master Bass and Treble controls for room tweaks.

That's great to know, thanks for the input. 

I've ran the HD into the FX return of a Flex II (2x12) and while its no FRFR it took to the studio direct setting well and the speakers being fairly neutral had the ~60lb combo sounding quite good. Not too far off the concept of a Tech21 PE60 (except the weight) which is my normal "go to".  

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post.. but I got a helix LT about 9 months ago and have been plugging into my Dr.Z Maz jr (which doesnt have effects loop) and was never happy with the helix.  I pulled out my old Flextone II which has an effect return, plugged the Helix into that so Im basically using the flextone as my FRFR solution and BAM!   Couldn't be Happier. Now I can actually hear what the amp models are supposed to sound like and they kick lollipop!!  BTW... the tones on the old Flextone are still Killer!

• 6 months later...

I’m kinda wanting to do the opposite...I just bought a tube head and would like to use the four cable method to use the effects in the preamp section of my flextone iii instead of buying petals. I also have a fbv short board, so no need for purchasing volume/wah petal either. Does anyone know if that can be done?