Sign in to follow this  
iamgeorge

Did I read somewhere that some guys are using the Flextone amps as FRFR solution on stage?

Ok, let me rephrase that.. 

I could've sworn I remember seeing somewhere here that there are some players out there that have been using the Line 6 Flextone combo as an FRFR solution, either at home or on stage.. could this be?! 

I guess the second part of this weird question is, can that actually be done?   For anyone that actually has done that, how does it sound? 

Ok, let me rephrase that.. [/size]I could've sworn I remember seeing somewhere here that there are some players out there that have been using the Line 6 Flextone combo as an FRFR solution, either at home or on stage.. [/size]could this be?! I guess the second part of this weird question is, [/size]can that actually be done? For anyone that actually has done that, how does it sound? [/size]

I sometimes use a Line 6 Vetta 2 combo, so same idea. Neither are FRFR, so personally I run the amp models without a speaker block or IR into the combo power amp (effects return). No need to use a cab model as it's going into an actual guitar speaker, though I've read some folks do, I tried it, but when cranked to drummer level sounds unnatural to me.

I do have to put a dummy jack plug in the amp's input and I run a blank preset on the combo. It's a stereo effects return socket, so i use a y lead, 2x mono jacks from the Helix to a stereo jack into the combo, otherwise you only get one speaker, though I believe Flextones come in mono and stereo versions. Sounds great to me and the Vetta 2 has master Bass and Treble controls for room tweaks.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes use a Line 6 Vetta 2 combo, so same idea. Neither are FRFR, so personally I run the amp models without a speaker block or IR into the combo power amp (effects return). No need to use a cab model as it's going into an actual guitar speaker, though I've read some folks do, I tried it, but when cranked to drummer level sounds unnatural to me.

I do have to put a dummy jack plug in the amp's input and I run a blank preset on the combo. It's a stereo effects return socket, so i use a y lead, 2x mono jacks from the Helix to a stereo jack into the combo, otherwise you only get one speaker, though I believe Flextones come in mono and stereo versions. Sounds great to me and the Vetta 2 has master Bass and Treble controls for room tweaks.

That's great to know, thanks for the input. 

It'll work, and you might end up quite happy with your sound...but as already stated, if you're looking for an "FRFR solution", this ain't it.

I've ran the HD into the FX return of a Flex II (2x12) and while its no FRFR it took to the studio direct setting well and the speakers being fairly neutral had the ~60lb combo sounding quite good. Not too far off the concept of a Tech21 PE60 (except the weight) which is my normal "go to".