Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax MAGS too hot via USB7/8 for Helix Native?

bc05

Hey guys

I have solved for the most part the best practice for tracking a quality DI through Helix Floor for later reamping with the Helix Native plugin which is AWESOME.

However, when I set the USB 7 and 8 to track the Variax Modelled guitars (Lester, Spank etc) via VDI Cable (NOT the 1/4 inch regular guitar input) the levels are fine and duplicate the levels I see when tracking a blank patch (ie NO Helix processing) on USB 1 and 2 - but when set to Variax Magnetics (ie the raw real humbuckers - not the digital guitar models) the level is too hot for the plug in IE: the "input" meter is hitting above the optimum range of maximum -12db when set to 0.

In theory this is how hot the Mags hit the Helix Floor processing so I'm confused as to why there would be a discrepancy?

Any thoughts?

BTW Im tracking a stereo DI as this seems to be the best way to duplicate what is happening in the Helix Floor inside the plugin version.

Cheers

Which Variax are you using?

I'm assuming it's stock setup?

Have you adjusted the pickup height at all (I don't know what the specs are, and they don't publish them for some reason, but I believe they are available)?

Given it's humbuckers, I assume it is JTV-59? 

If it's JTV-89, aren't the pickups kinda hot compared to the models in the guitar (spank and tele are low output single coils and even the Lester I think models relatively low output HB's).

Even so... -12dB max is the recommended max level, anything below 0 is ok.  What is the max it is going to (about)?

Interesting there is a difference between 1/4 and VDI.  Certainly the VDI output has already done the A/D conversion in the guitar.  Perhaps with the 1/4", maybe no A/D is being done before the magnetics are output?  I'm not sure I understand what your setup for recording into Native was.  Where would the A/D from magnetics through 1/4 be done if not on Guitar?  It sounds like you are using a DI, not sure what that would do to the signal.  We do know L6 is very proud of the dynamic range of their converters in Helix.  Would this allow more overtones to get out which in turn would increase the energy being output which might translate to a stronger signal on the meter?