Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LINE 6 VARIAX Processor in MY CUSTOM BUILT GUITAR?

Wackjobs

Hi:

I am having a guitar made and am pondering the installation of the Variax Guts into the body as a switchable option.

Line 6 has responded to my question asking if they'd sell me just the processor and a software license but never got back.

Anybody heard of this idea's implementation?

Any thoughts on if I can buy a Standard, break it open and spring the guts?

Thanks!

Wick

Hi:

I am having a guitar made and am pondering the installation of the Variax Guts into the body as a switchable option.

Line 6 has responded to my question asking if they'd sell me just the processor and a software license but never got back.

Anybody heard of this idea's implementation?

Any thoughts on if I can buy a Standard, break it open and spring the guts?

Thanks!

Wick

Stand by to be told that there are only 4 human beings in the known universe who are capable of accomplishing such an engineering marvel...that has long been the their "official" position. Personally, I think that's nonsense, provided that the one doing the building really knows their craft....but regardless, they're not gonna sell you the Variax guts. You're only option is to buy one and cannibalize it.

There are all sorts of Variax transplants out there, but like cruisinon2 said, Line 6 doesn't sell the Variax guts independently, and I highly doubt they ever will. You just have to buy another Variax and rip the electronics out to put them into your guitar. It kind of goes without saying, but doing this sort of thing isn't something Line 6 supports. What I mean by that is that if anything goes wrong with the Variax electronics, there will be no sort of warranty coverage.

"Personally, I think that's nonsense, provided that the one doing the building really knows their craft"---

Being that I've done a few of these, I can say it's not nonsense. You have to know the product and know what you're doing.

Seen a number of them attempted by others who didn't listen to my advice, that went horribly wrong.

"... are only 4 human beings in the known universe who are capable of accomplishing such an engineering marvel"---

Well, not the universe, but at least here in the US. "Engineering marvel",... well more like a lot of tech experience.

"You're only option is to buy one and cannibalize it"---

Yes. And since we don't support mods, that would be the case, it would be at your own risk. I've done my share of

custom work over the last 40+ years, this is not to be taken lightly. This isn't a guitar with passive electronics in it.

And should there be a program problem or electronics glitch, you would be on your own.

Having done a few and compared notes with others, the guts will sound different when transplanted to a different body.

The modeling is matched to the body and electronics configuration that they are programmed for (JTV, Standard and

Shuriken). Transplanting into another body will sound different (tone color, overall EQ).

I just wanted you to know what you're in for should you go down this road. Being a custom tweak-er myself,...

Luck, happy hunting and Rock On. 

• Upvote 1

Being that I've done a few of these, I can say it's not nonsense.

Yes it is. Look around enough, and you'll find botched examples of absolutely EVERYTHING under the sun, from oil changes to neurosurgery...in fact, one generally doesn't have to look very hard at all, they're everywhere. But declaring that there are only 4 people in the entire country capable of pulling this off, merely because you've seen the fallout from those who couldn't, is patently ridiculous. The existence of incompetent nitwits is not "proof" that those with sufficient knowledge and skill are nowhere to be found.

To be more accurate, when I mention that,... it's that there are 4 or 5,  that I know.

And as I've said before on other posts,.... I'm sure there are more out there,

it's just that I don't know who or where they are.

As I've said before,... as I come across them, I'll add them to the numbers.