Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

two L3m's connected L6 Link - back panel "1 and 2"?

I have my Helix floor connected to a L6 L3m via the L6 Link output on the helix; this first L3m is also running the L6 link out to a second L3m for a stereo pair setup. All documentation says that the L6 link will auto recognize and put the speakers in L and R mode, with L and R indicated on the back panel of the stagesource L3m. Mine only display 1 and 2. This doesn't change if I enter any of the other playback modes. Any advice? Is 1 and 2 the same as L and R?

I use the same setup with 2 L3t and have no problems re: stereo. The reason they show 1 and 2 instead of L and R is that they are not operating as a stereo pair for all inputs although the L6 Link In signal is routed in stereo. Other potential inputs are not.

This setup is not as flexible as connecting the speakers together in a bi-directional L6 Link manner in which case they will be shown as L and R. Connect Helix to one of the speaker's rear panel analog inputs. This method will allow you to use all the analog inputs in both speakers and have full stereo. The setup you describe does not permit inputs from speaker #2 to be heard in both speakers; the signal from these inputs can't get to speaker #1 because it's L6Link In is already in use by Helix.

I use the same setup with 2 L3t and have no problems re: stereo. The reason they show 1 and 2 instead of L and R is that they are not operating as a stereo pair for all inputs although the L6 Link In signal is routed in stereo. Other potential inputs are not.

This setup is not as flexible as connecting the speakers together in a bi-directional L6 Link manner in which case they will be shown as L and R. Connect Helix to one of the speaker's rear panel analog inputs. This method will allow you to use all the analog inputs in both speakers and have full stereo. The setup you describe does not permit inputs from speaker #2 to be heard in both speakers; the signal from these inputs can't get to speaker #1 because it's L6Link In is already in use by Helix.

Wow. I have no idea what you just said haha. I thought if you had a L3m or L3t the idea was to use a singular AES/EBU from the helix to the first L3m and then daisy chain via the L6 link out to the other one. Even the Helix manual states:

L6 LINK provides easy, reliable, one-cable connectivity between Helix and Line 6 StageSource monitors

Are you saying I should just run the XLR L from the Helix to the left L3m and then run the XLR R from the Helix to the second? I tried this last night, still did not indicate L and R on the monitors. Also as an aside, using my L6 link technique from the helix, i was able to use a stereo delay and it sounded to very stereo to me with left and right signals bouncing around.

I just did test. I would hate to say this but I think you are wrong here.

Scenario 1 - digital out from Helix into the L6 Link In on speaker 1 - daisy chain from L6 out to second speaker - this results in BEAUTIFUL back and forth crazy delays that are clearly very separate, very much left and right separation. It also sounds way louder and seems to have way more headroom.

Scenario 2 - XLR L out of the helix into the analog line input of the L3m speaker 1. This will cause the speaker to say L. I then take the L6 link OUT of this speaker into the L6 Link in of L3m speaker 2. This causes the speakers to read L and R respectively, however there is no longer any 'true' stereo separation...it sounds summed to mono. Im assuming this is because I am only coming out of the XLR L out of the helix? This is the only configuration I can do to make the speakers read L and R. This does not sound better than scenario 1 listed about.

If I am wrong about this, can you please clearly type out how the helix should connect to two L3m for a true stereo, bidirectional configuration? I would greatly appreciate it!

Ok I think i have this figured...my scenario 1 is perfectly fine and 'intended'...i see in a past post you wrote

"If you're just using Helix you can use L6 Link and daisy chain the 2nd speaker from the first. The problem arises when you connect something to the 2nd speaker and want to also hear it from the 1st speaker."

I have no intentions of adding anything to the second speaker, so I should proceed with this.

Scenario 2 - XLR L out of the helix into the analog line input of the L3m speaker 1. This will cause the speaker to say L. I then take the L6 link OUT of this speaker into the L6 Link in of L3m speaker 2. This causes the speakers to read L and R respectively, however there is no longer any 'true' stereo separation...it sounds summed to mono. Im assuming this is because I am only coming out of the XLR L out of the helix? This is the only configuration I can do to make the speakers read L and R. This does not sound better than scenario 1 listed about.

If I am wrong about this, can you please clearly type out how the helix should connect to two L3m for a true stereo, bidirectional configuration? I would greatly appreciate it!

In Scenario 2 you should also connect the L6 Link Out of speaker 2 to the L6 Link In of speaker 1. This 2-way L6 Link connection between the two speakers should provide full stereo separation of the stereo analog inputs to both speakers.

And, yes, you are right that if you are only connecting the Helix XLR L to speaker 1 then you will not hear stereo because you are only feeding the speaker a mono signal. Connect both L and R Helix outputs (XLR or 1/4") to speaker 1 analog stereo inputs.

Edit: The configuration I am talking about is illustrated as the Small Club Duet setup shown on page 15 of the manual..... http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434d11a9d5100786314cca/application/pdf/StageSource%20L2%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20F%20).pdf

Ok I think i have this figured...my scenario 1 is perfectly fine and 'intended'...i see in a past post you wrote

"If you're just using Helix you can use L6 Link and daisy chain the 2nd speaker from the first. The problem arises when you connect something to the 2nd speaker and want to also hear it from the 1st speaker."

I have no intentions of adding anything to the second speaker, so I should proceed with this.

That's correct - you will hear Helix in full stereo. As mentioned, you will not hear a stereo signal from anything else connected to either speaker's analog inputs.

Connect both L and R Helix outputs (XLR or 1/4") to speaker 1 analog stereo inputs.

This is not possible. There is only one XLR or 1/4 input on the L3m. I am assuming you mean

XLR L into speaker 1

XLR R into speaker 2

That being said, what would the point of the L6 linking be at that point?

There are stereo RCA unbalanced inputs on the rear panel of the L2m. You will need a pair of adapters to connect the Helix analog outputs to these inputs. It's probably best to use the 1/4" unbalanced Helix outputs. The required adapters are available at very low cost at any audio store.

• 5 months later...

As mentioned above, the best way by far is to L6 Link out of Helix into an L3m/t, then L6 Link from that to the next L3m/t, for true stereo rig.

That's fine as long as you don't want to use the side panel mixer on the L3t and have the sound come from both speakers.