Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 DT50 Head, Blowing main fuse when powering on

hetrickaj

So I think I might know what it is, but I accidentally left my amp on when I left my house for vacation, when coming back a week later, the amp wouldn't power on.  I found that the tube fuse was just fine, but the main power fuse was blown, so I got a replacement fuse, replaced it, blew again, I have 3 line 6 cabinets, all different speaker configurations, so I tried another cabinet, and the fuse blew again.

What I think is, that the transformer is going out, but I see this might be a common thing for this amp?  I mean, lets be honest I, ME, MYSELF left the damn amp on for what could have been a week, and it could have blown something.

But if someone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting, or where to buy a replacement and I can just do it myself?

Thank you!

Hetrickaj

Log a ticket with custom support, it will have to go in for servicing.

How were the speakers connected, which amp output to which speaker input?

I have the line 6 dt matching cabinet, and the valve cabinet, dt was 8 ohms, and the valve cabinet was set to 16, so I switched to 16 input on the amp.

Hope that makes sense..

Thanks!

Yes. That shouldn't make it blow, it might attenuate. 16-Ohm out into an 8-Ohm load would blow it.

You went the other way, so that shouldn't be a problem. Something else is going on then.

When was the last time the tubes were changed?

Are you using the specified stock tubes?

Yes. That shouldn't make it blow, it might attenuate. 16-Ohm out into an 8-Ohm load would blow it.

You went the other way, so that shouldn't be a problem. Something else is going on then.

When was the last time the tubes were changed?

Are you using the specified stock tubes?

As far as I know, It should be the stock tubes, I had to get it serviced around this time last year due to it blowing up, the authorized service provider ordered stock tubes for it...Or at least that is what they told me.  It gets played maybe once or twice a week for 15-30 min.  So the tubes shouldn't be super old.

Chassis fuse, or AC receptacle fuse?

I think the AC Receptacle?  That's the one below where you plug in the power cable correct?  Cause it's that one.  or if you look in the manual, it is number 10, the power cord receptacle.

Yeah, it's the transformer. Needs to be serviced, and needs a thorough going over.

Trying to find one online seems impossible, is it a part that is manufactured that I can try to replace myself?  I mean, it's not crucial to get it fixed, if I can fix it on my own, I will try that out.

Is there a specific place I can try to purchase a transformer?

No.

They are made specifically for Line 6 for this product and its specs.

Too many things to check, too many variables and safety hazards for a user to be

doing this themselves. This needs to be done by a Line 6 authorized tech who knows

the insides of this product.

Like the saying goes, "don't try this at home".

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, here it is 2021 and Line 6 has totally abandoned anyone with a power transformer problem in s DT50.  After many hours of looking at blogs, I finally found a seller who has them in stock.  Shame on you Line 6, you should be telling all these customers that ended up with 63 lb. door stops where they are available. Not me in a blog.

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/products/?swoof=1&filter_make=line-6&filter_model=dt50&filter_product-type=power-transformer