Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native not working with Reaper after installing new interface

soonerpenguin

I've been using the trial version of Native with my Amplifi 75 as the interface. I posted a few days ago about latency issues there, but solved those by downloading ASIO4all. So for 2 days, everything was working amazingly.

I decided that i'd like to break completely from using the Amplifi, though, and purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. Hooked it up yesterday, and that's when everything went wrong again. Here's the short version....

Hooked up the Solo, plugged it in via USB, downloaded the driver, set it as recording & playback device in Windows Control Panel, plugged my headphones in the front (i normally play using headphones). I was getting dry guitar signal, so everything seemed good.

Opened a track in Reaper (identically to how i'd been doing it previously). Armed it for recording, checked live monitoring, and added Native as the FX..... and nothing. Only dry guitar. Tried every bit of over a dozen different patches. Still nothing.

Proceed to check every possible setting in Reaper. Can't find anything different. Do this for an hour. Walk away mad for a while, then come back to try again.

I finally get fed up with it, unplug the Solo interface, and uninstall it. Plug my Amplifi back in (because, crap, everything was working just fine with it before, i'll just go back to it)..... change all my defaults to where they were with it previously, pull up a track in Reaper, arm it for recording, check live monitoring, add Native as an FX....... and nothing. Just dry guitar AGAIN. Oh, and now i can't hear anything I play back from Reaper.

My problems are multiplying like Tribbles.

The real kicker was when, in the midst of trying EVERYTHING, i decided to shut off the ASIO4all..... and Native patches worked again.... but the latency issue was back. *facepalm*...... Between the latency issue over 3 days last week, and now this, which feels like i'll never figure out, there goes a good portion of my 15 day trial on Native. Which is just another thing to make me mad about it all....

I have zero idea where to go from here to make Native work with the new interface & Reaper. I've been brainstorming with a friend who is also a Helix user, and we're both out of ideas. Anything you all might be able to suggest, i'll be more than happy to try. It won't be until this evening, as i'm at work currently, but all help is more than welcome & appreciated. If you have any questions, i'll try to answer those best i can, too.

I would try using either your AMPLIFi or your Focisrite with their official ASIO driver and send just a dry track to Reaper, no live monitoring.

Also make sure in Reaper you are selecting the ASIO driver. 

Then add an instance of Helix Native to the track and see if it works.

BTW, when you were experiencing the latency, were you selecting the AMPLIFi or Focusrite ASIO device in Reaper (in addition to selecting your interface as the default recording/playback device)?

I would try using either your AMPLIFi or your Focisrite with their official ASIO driver and send just a dry track to Reaper, no live monitoring.

Also make sure in Reaper you are selecting the ASIO driver. 

Then add an instance of Helix Native to the track and see if it works.

BTW, when you were experiencing the latency, were you selecting the AMPLIFi or Focusrite ASIO device in Reaper (in addition to selecting your interface as the default recording/playback device)?

I didn't have the Focusrite interface when i was experiencing the latency. So that was a non-issue then. I started off with the Amplifi device (which had the latency issues), then switched to ASIO4all, which immediately took care of the latency issue. 

As for the rest.... thank you. I'll give it a try.

So in Reaper you were selecting AMPLIFi ASIO as your device?

I THINK so, to start with..... whatever it defaulted to when i was only using Amplifi, before i decided to try the Native trial. I didn't mess with ASIO until I started the Native trial & experienced latency from the very beginning of that.

You definitely should not be using ASIO4ALL if there is a correct ASIO driver for your device.  Latency can be addressed by adjusting your buffer settings.

The fact that you could hear the dry guitar track when tracking indicates that you may have the 'direct monitor' switch on the Focusrite on - not sure this device allows mixing both direct monitor AND track monitoring (if so there may be a software mixer?)