Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got Yamaha DXR10 for Helix, made loud pop sound. Damage?

spearmint95

Hello everyone! I got a Yamaha DXR10 speaker to use with my Helix. I forgot to turn it off before removing the other end of the instrument cable that was plugged into it so it made a loud pop! It wasn't at max volume or anything but it was still pretty loud even at low volume which is what worries me.  

I'm a very cautious person who likes to worry a lot. Do you think my speaker is damaged? My ear isn't quite trained enough to pick up on any anomalies in the audio that's come out of the speaker after this. Is there some test I can do to make sure it's not damaged and to make sure all the frequencies and hooza-ma-signals are all in order? Thanks.

Always follow this power-up sequence.

Power up the sources first - Guitar Modelers, Synths, Mixers. Always power up the speakers and/or amplifiers last.

Of course the power down sequence is the exact opposite - Speakers and amps first, then the other devices.

• Upvote 1

Your DXR10 should be fine! Best thing to do is simply use it as normal.

In case you did not already know, the Yamaha has built in Signal Limiter and Power Protection Systems. These remain active regardless if you may have disabled the LED Indicator. See your Yamaha DXR User Guide (also available as a PDF), Pages: 7, 8 and 12.

• Upvote 1

In case you did not already know, the Yamaha has built in Signal Limiter and Power Protection Systems. These remain active regardless if you may have disabled the LED In

Always follow this power-up sequence.

Power up the sources first - Guitar Modelers, Synths, Mixers. Always power up the speakers and/or amplifiers last.

Of course the power down sequence is the exact opposite - Speakers and amps first, then the other devices.

It should be fine. Just play your Helix through it to ensure things sound normal. There really isn't a "formal test" you can do to verify damage. I've done that a few time on my JBLs and no issues. 

In case you did not already know, the Yamaha has built in Signal Limiter and Power Protection Systems. These remain active regardless if you may have disabled the LED Indicator. See your Yamaha DXR User Guide (also available as a PDF), Pages: 7, 8 and 12.

dicator. See your Yamaha DXR User Guide (also available as a PDF), Pages: 7, 8 and 12.

Thank you very much for your replies everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experience and always being so helpful!