Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix with Helix Native

Doug6String

I've had the Helix Rack since earlier this year.  Just got Native this week.

I like plugging my guitar into the Helix using an empty preset, then working in my DAW (Mixcraft 8 Pro) with Native.   I use Presonus Studio 192 for my audio interface, not the Helix.  I've tried using the Helix as the interface, and I know many of you do that, but there are limitations on that that I don't like.

My approach, plugging into my Helix, running that into my audio interface and then to my DAW seems to work OK.  But I'm thinking many (most?) of you are much more clever than I and have a better idea.  I can also plug directly into the Presonus and that works fine.  But I (shock of all shocks!) like the Helix tuner and use that all the time and I also like having the Helix presets there to test ideas out with while also using Native in the DAW.

Anybody have a better idea on this?  Based on my experience with the Helix and the Forum, I'm figuring I'm missing something worth knowing!  

Thanks!

I did a little testing and when plugging into the Helix with an empty preset, then into the Presonus and then the DAW (via PC), there is a tiny audible latency even at 256 buffer size compared to directly plugging my guitar into the Presonus.  So that's a reason to stop doing what I am doing (having Helix in the loop)..

But I'm still interested in other ideas that could be better.  Thanks!

I'd just use the Helix as my input interface and the Presonus for the outputs.  in fact, aside from having a Mackie Big Knob as my output interface, that's exactly what I do for recording. I do run analog outputs on my HX to the Mackie but only for zero latency monitoring.  Everything being record goes in via Helix/USB.

That can work but is more complex on PC - most software can only address a single ASIO driver, but apparently (because I haven't tried it) ASIO4ALL can act as an ASIO Hub, so you connect to the individual ASIO drivers in ASIO4ALL and then connect to ASIO4ALL in your software and gain access to all inputs and outputs.
According to one user on the forum he has 28 inputs and 8 outputs working across 3 devices at 96khz with 128bit buffers:

http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1109&sid=2e701cea0a18500b6e79f1e69b2c9bd9#p1219

This would allow you to use USB 7 from Helix as direct feed into Native and have Helix patch output in via USB1/2 at the same time and send the mix out to the Presonus. It has got to worth trying this just for the flexibility.

I've also been using Helix Rack as my interface. Using an empty preset then using the Native plug in for my sounds. This is working well with Logic on a MAC and I have no other interface. It is worth mentioning that you should use a low sample rate and any low latency setting you have in your DAW. Since my rig is so different, this may not be helpful. But just in case!

• 1 month later...

I've also been using Helix Rack as my interface. Using an empty preset then using the Native plug in for my sounds. This is working well with Logic on a MAC and I have no other interface. It is worth mentioning that you should use a low sample rate and any low latency setting you have in your DAW. Since my rig is so different, this may not be helpful. But just in case!

Thanks!  I am doing what you suggested and it is all working great.  I am pretty stunned at how Native and the rack seem to be identical in sound, although there are some on this forum having problems getting the tone they want.  Even though I only do home recording (no bands), for me, having the rack is essential and worth every penny for sculpting my tones for eventual use in Native.  Very cool!

• 1 month later...

Latency can certainly be an issue when tracking guitar through Native only. It depends on your processing power, your DAW, and the tracks you are playing while recording. A hardware Helix + Native is the best total solution — so you can monitor your tracks with zero latency and full FX/amp + IR, etc. Nothing gets in the way (other than more hardware and wires to deal with).

I usually record in Logic Pro X at 88.2/24, so if I get too many tracks +  intensive virtual instruments running I can't run Logic tight enough to get <10 ms latency, which is a no-go for me when tracking precise guitar parts. So...if I run into that barrier, I bounce the project with no guitar parts down to a stereo file, then bring that into a project with Helix Native, running the smallest buffer possible, and record the guitar tracks for use in the main project. A bit of a pain, but not insurmountable especially given the awesome tone out of Helix Native.

Hey Soundog - thanks!  Yeah, everything seems sorted out for me now, well, until the next crisis!  

Latency can certainly be an issue when tracking guitar through Native only. It depends on your processing power, your DAW, and the tracks you are playing while recording. A hardware Helix + Native is the best total solution — so you can monitor your tracks with zero latency and full FX/amp + IR, etc. Nothing gets in the way (other than more hardware and wires to deal with).

I usually record in Logic Pro X at 88.2/24, so if I get too many tracks +  intensive virtual instruments running I can't run Logic tight enough to get <10 ms latency, which is a no-go for me when tracking precise guitar parts. So...if I run into that barrier, I bounce the project with no guitar parts down to a stereo file, then bring that into a project with Helix Native, running the smallest buffer possible, and record the guitar tracks for use in the main project. A bit of a pain, but not insurmountable especially given the awesome tone out of Helix Native