Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Anybody Use the Helix to Control an Axe-FX2?

DrBonkersSndLab

I am getting closer to being able to pull the trigger on a Helix Floor model (not LT).

I was wondering if there was a for the Helix to send Midi Program changes and scenes to the Fractal?

Has anybody done it and can give me some info on how to do it?

Also, is my Fractal EV-1 expression pedal going to be compatible with the Helix?

My dream is to be able to use the Helix 4CM with the Fractal sometimes and just have it control the Fractal other times, and just use the Helix other times by using a blank preset in the Fractal as a pass through, so that once I have it wired up, I don't have to physically rewire everything any time I want to change what interacts with what.

Is this madness?

Sounds like madness. I too have a Helix floor and a Axe FX II XL+. I'm not sure I would use them together other than using the Helix to control the Axe via MIDI, which I haven't done but I'm sure could be done. Sounds like you belong over at the Gearslutz forum for owning both ahahahaha, like me!!! Ahhhhh!!!

Seriously though, are you trying to use the Helix FX within the Axe or something? Just curious because the Axe has a larger amount of processing power and generally at least to me the FX are better due to more ability to customize and greater options. Having said that, the Helix is simple and has some great fx and amp models. 

• Upvote 1

I am getting closer to being able to pull the trigger on a Helix Floor model (not LT).

I was wondering if there was a for the Helix to send Midi Program changes and scenes to the Fractal?

Also, is my Fractal EV-1 expression pedal going to be compatible with the Helix?

My dream is to be able to use the Helix 4CM with the Fractal sometimes and just have it control the Fractal other times, and just use the Helix other times by using a blank preset in the Fractal as a pass through, so that once I have it wired up, I don't have to physically rewire everything any time I want to change what interacts with what.

Is this madness?

Madness? Maybe.

The short answer is yes, Helix is a full blown MIDI controller.

I don't have any experience with Fractal, so, I can't speak to Fractal specifics.

Here is a link to MIDI control for a Marshall JVM using PC messages. You probably have a MIDI command matrix for Fractal rather than Fractal having to learn the MIDI messages, so, that part probably doesn't apply. But, this should give some ideas.

http://line6.com/support/topic/28901-marshall-jvm-channel-switching-with-helix-midi/?hl=midi

• Upvote 1

Sounds like madness. I too have a Helix floor and a Axe FX II XL+. I'm not sure I would use them together other than using the Helix to control the Axe via MIDI, which I haven't done but I'm sure could be done. Sounds like you belong over at the Gearslutz forum for owning both ahahahaha, like me!!! Ahhhhh!!!

Seriously though, are you trying to use the Helix FX within the Axe or something? Just curious because the Axe has a larger amount of processing power and generally at least to me the FX are better due to more ability to customize and greater options. Having said that, the Helix is simple and has some great fx and amp models. 

I love the AxeFX2 but I think the MFC-101 frankly just blows with its implementation and editor. I am selling my MFC-101 Mark III because I am so fed up with the way it handshakes with the AF2. In some ways the Behringer with the UNO chip worked better.

The way I was hoping it would work is  the Helix would work as a midi controller to change Fractal preset up and down as well as Fractal scene up and down. Then I could use the other 4 buttons to control helix snapshots.

The possibilities are endless, Helix drives in front of Fractal modelling, 4 amps and cabs available simultaneously to rage along, building complex Strymon, Eventide, or even old school Lexicon PCM-70  type effects by having one unit's effects feed into the other's effects.

I figure for the way it is priced, the Helix floor unit is like getting an RJM Mastermind with a backup rig or an Ax-8 thrown in.

Half the point of having a unit like Helix or Axe FX, is they're both all-in-one solutions to dragging around an amp, cabinet, and pedal board...and now we're daisy-chaining the two of them together via 3rd party hardware? As a means to what end? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

And frankly, if you can't dial in a sound that works for you with either Helix or Axe FX, then the gear isn't the problem...

Surely it would be better to control the Axe Fx and Helix from an MFC-101 or am I missing something ?

The MFC-101 is a royal pain in the butt for a variety of reasons. Very finicky piece of kit to program and not have the connection time out. The MFC also does some strange things to the AF2 when plugged into the unit while Axe-Edit is running.

If the Helix can do what I want it to do as far as control and also be a backup rig, that's even better.

Half the point of having a unit like Helix or Axe FX, is they're both all-in-one solutions to dragging around an amp, cabinet, and pedal board...and now we're daisy-chaining the two of them together via 3rd party hardware? As a means to what end? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

And frankly, if you can't dial in a sound that works for you with either Helix or Axe FX, then the gear isn't the problem...

I can dial in sounds just fine thanks. Keeping the MFC-101 out of lost connection messages or user timeout is a whole other ball of wax to deal with, if you never had to do it.

If I have to drag around a separate MFC-101 to control the Fractal from the floor anyways, why not drag around a controller with better ergonomics, scribble strips, and that can function as a backup rig if need be? The RJM Mastermind is about $200 more than the Helix at retail right now and is not even a backup rig.

To use a painting analogy, some people like to make art with just five colors on the palette, others use triple that number and mix them together as well to make art. Neither method is better nor worse for making art, it's just a matter of what inspires you to make it.

If it neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket, what does it matter to you if someone "should" do it? I am just asking about the technical ability of the unit to do so, not about the artistic or moral merits of doing so.

To your point, I can't say I've seen ANYONE say they are using an MFC to control their Helix...

I can dial in sounds just fine thanks. Keeping the MFC-101 out of lost connection messages or user timeout is a whole other ball of wax to deal with, if you never had to do it.

If I have to drag around a separate MFC-101 to control the Fractal from the floor anyways, why not drag around a controller with better ergonomics, scribble strips, and that can function as a backup rig if need be? The RJM Mastermind is about $200 more than the Helix at retail right now and is not even a backup rig.

To use a painting analogy, some people like to make art with just five colors on the palette, others use triple that number and mix them together as well to make art. Neither method is neither better nor worse for making art, it's just a matter of what inspires you to make it.

If it neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket, what does it matter to you if someone "should" do it? I am just asking about the ability to do so, not about the artistic or moral merits of doing so.

I think Cruisinon was agreeing with you... why bother using an MFC to control both when Helix can do it just fine?

If it neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket, what does it matter to you if someone "should" do it? I am just asking about the technical ability of the unit to do so, not about the artistic or moral merits of doing so.

You announced that you're selling your MFC-101 because you don't like the way it works with the AF2 long before I said a word. Then a few posts later you proceeded to elaborate on why that unit is a "pain in the butt". I voiced a similar sentiment, questioning the redundancy of adding yet another piece of hardware to a rig that can already to do the same thing...yet somehow I'm now the bad guy. I didn't say a single word about anyone's "moral and/or artist merits", nor do I care. This is a practical debate, not a philosophical one. May the Force be with you...

• Upvote 1

You announced that you're selling your MFC-101 because you don't like the way it works with the AF2 long before I said a word. Then a few posts later you proceeded to elaborate on why that unit is a "pain in the butt". I voiced a similar sentiment, questioning the redundancy of adding yet another piece of hardware to a rig that can already to do the same thing...yet somehow I'm now the bad guy. I didn't say a single word about anyone's "moral and/or artist merits", nor do I care. This is a practical debate, not a philosophical one. May the Force be with you...

I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

Is this madness?

. Nah. hey Doc...

Fancy meeting you here......When I got my Helix when it first was released, I used it exclusively as a limited controller/router for my FAS and other gear, as I was not impressed with the modeling at that time....but as we know here, great strides were Made on Helix in both modeling and MIDI implementation, and I’m sure a man of your skillz would be able to suss it out easily...4cm with an AXFX or AX8 is a GAS with helix.......hit me up if u pull the trigger ...if my Helix hasn’t been washed away by fu**ing Irma, I’d be happy to help ya out......

• Upvote 1

. Nah. hey Doc...

Fancy meeting you here......When I got my Helix when it first was released, I used it exclusively as a limited controller/router for my FAS and other gear, as I was not impressed with the modeling at that time....but as we know here, great strides were Made on Helix in both modeling and MIDI implementation, and I’m sure a man of your skillz would be able to suss it out easily...4cm with an AXFX or AX8 is a GAS with helix.......hit me up if u pull the trigger ...if my Helix hasn’t been washed away by fu**ing Irma, I’d be happy to help ya out......

Thanks Brad, you are gentleman and a scholar.

Once I have one in my posession, I will hit you up for some advice for sure!

I'm shipping out the MFC-101 on Monday as I just sold it on Reverb.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for digging up this one

Did you finally achieve something in that direction? I just had the opportunity to get an used Axe II for a fair price, and wondering how I could combine both units, in terms of signal routing, and to control the fractal with the helix midi messages. 

Any tip / link would be welcome :-)