Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless transmitter inside instrument, anyone?

cags12

Has anyone tried fitting a a wireless transmitter inside their instrument?

I am thinking on disassembling a Line 6 relay G10 or G30, taking the circuit off and fitting inside my guitar on the existing control cavity (no routing). Space is a constrain so the transmitter with smallest footprint would be great. Battery type and voltage also important to make it convenient for recharging.

What about other brands? It seems the JOYO JW0-1 is a very neat inexpensive option with minimal footprint. Not sure about the quality.

If I were to use the G10, charging and channel selection I believe could be accomplished by using a short stereo cable and a TRS jack on the guitar. What I do not like about the G10 is the ON/OFF mechanism (it would need a hack) and that it can only be paired to only one transmitter at a time and changing guitars/transmitters would mean reconnecting to the dock to get them paired. On the other hand the G30 does have an easy ON/OFF switch and supports multiple transmitters in different channels but does not uses a nice rechargeable battery and size of internal component is unknown.

I am being curious if someone has tried something similar with the G10 or any other wireless system.

Well, This is mainly for use at home so no need for long ranges. Waves go through wood. The main problem would be if your electronics cavity is shielded (mine is not) and the Faraday cage it forms. In such cases the antenna can always be installed in such way that it is exposed to the outside world similar to the G50 transmitter that has a metal case.

I know it has been done before, I am just curious for others peoples solutions.

In the case of the G10, it seems like having the transmitter inside the guitar would actually make it less convenient because you'd to worry about charging the battery some way. I suppose it could be modified to be powered from another battery in the guitar itself, but still, dealing only with charging with the transmitter seems more convenient than having to replace batteries in the guitar.

In the case of the G10, it seems like having the transmitter inside the guitar would actually make it less convenient because you'd to worry about charging the battery some way. I suppose it could be modified to be powered from another battery in the guitar itself, but still, dealing only with charging with the transmitter seems more convenient than having to replace batteries in the guitar.

Yeah, I believe charging and channel selection could be accomplished by using a short stereo cable and a TRS jack on the guitar. Virtually routing through the standard jack the power from the dock receiver. The only hack I see it would require is in the ON/OFF mechanism.

I am still considering the G30 instead. Both G10 and G30 have their Pros and Cons. I just wish the G10 receiver had a selector of multiple transmitters.

Does somebody have pictures of the guts of both transmitters?

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason i'd say no to this is because any instrument's electronics, and even the body will be hindering the antenna of the transmitter severely limiting the range.

Or even worse. The wireless signal getting into the hot signal inside the circuitry. The transmitters are generally clean, but if you put it too close to a hot wire you'll hear it quite clear.

Or even worse. The wireless signal getting into the hot signal inside the circuitry. The transmitters are generally clean, but if you put it too close to a hot wire you'll hear it quite clear.

I am not sure about this. Are you quite sure? Although the wireless signal could couple to the hot signal, 2.4Ghz frequencies are not audible for the human, amps or speakers. So it would not have real impact. Unless I am missing something?

At least on my shadow active system, which has the plug in the circuit box. The noise is unbearable, I need to use a 30cm cable to put the transmitter away.

Just saying.

mmm I wonder what might be happening there.

You know, in the end the hot wire is pretty close to the transmitter. Well, it is part if its assembly. The TIP of the embedded jack. I will give it a try anyway and see. Still not sure what of the system I will go for. Almost completely leaned towards the G10.

BTW. this is to be installed on my ATG guitar.

I also have an ATG guitar. Honestly the transmitter doesn't introduce any noise on that system. (not at least from the plug position)

You can pull the plug out, connect the transmitter and wave it close to the circuit to see what happens.

We have spoken before about ATG. I am the also Venezuelan fella who chated with you over Facebook once.

Yeah, I will make that test prior doing any permanent modification to the transmitter. I will also incorporate the Quiccosound mi.1 for wireless MIDI.

I am not sure about this. Are you quite sure? Although the wireless signal could couple to the hot signal, 2.4Ghz frequencies are not audible for the human, amps or speakers. So it would not have real impact. Unless I am missing something?

It's related to the electromagnetic waves inducing currents in your audio (hot) signal, not the actual frequency from the transmitter coming through the signal. 

Ah cool :) buenisimo!

Hey Sacco - What relay model do you use with ATG? G10? by reading the interoperability notes, I suspect the G10 will have issues with sensing when connecting to the guitar. The AT-200 uses a "soft" power on pulling up a wire to 5v, again, I suspect the G10 will not like it unless using the mono plug adapter.

This is on normal use, not on my plan of installing internally.

Correct. With the ATG I do need the L shaped adapter, otherwise it will not work. It does if I turn off the unit and use the provided pickups.

Cool, thanks for confirming. I may suggest a solution for this if you are interested. Use this 9-lug jack connector:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Jacks/9-lug_Stereo_Jack.html

You can wire it up so the Ring is not used for powering up ATG, therefore allowing the G10T to operate perfectly. For powering ATG you would simply use one of the other two isolated switches.